Top 10 Armies Of All Time!!!

cheltenham

LISTED BY HISTORICAL ORDER:

Ancient Macedonian army
(4th Century BC
under Alexander the Great)
01.jpg

Hunnu Army
(3rd Century BC - 2nd Century BC under Modu Chanyu)
03.jpg

Roman Army
(1st Century BC - 3rd Century)
02.jpeg

Arab Army
(7th - 9th Century)
04.jpeg

Mongolian Army
(13th - 15th Century) the world conqueror!
05.jpg

Turkish Army
(15th - 16th Century)
06.jpg

Russian Army
(17th - 20th Century)
07.jpeg

French Army
(19th Century) conquered Europe in a series of crushing victories against his opponents
08.jpeg

British Army
(19th Century)
09.jpg

German Army
(20th Century) fought with nearly all world and tired to conquer the world
11.jpg

Last edited:
I googled the title and a poster posted this list.... interesting

I have some contenders but I don't know if I can rank them.

*Mongol army under Genghis Khan

*Army of Carthage under Hannibal

*Caesar's legions

*Waffen SS

*Late WWII Red Army

*8th century B.C. Assyrian army

*Napoleons Grande Armée

*Knight Templar's

*Late 1900's United States Army

*Spartans

*Royal Navy during Napoleonic wars (army?)

*Trajan's legions

*Swedish army under Charles XII

*New Kingdom Egyptian Army

*1500's Ottoman army

*Timur's army

another posted this list

1 german ss

2 napoleon's army

3 huns under attilla

4 british army

5 soviet army

6 macedonians under alexander

7 ottoman army

8 roman legions

9 isreali defense force

10 mongol armies

I googled the title and a poster posted this list.... interesting

I have some contenders but I don't know if I can rank them.

*Mongol army under Genghis Khan

*Army of Carthage under Hannibal

*Caesar's legions

*Waffen SS

*Late WWII Red Army

*8th century B.C. Assyrian army

*Napoleons Grande Armée

*Knight Templar's

*Late 1900's United States Army

*Spartans

*Royal Navy during Napoleonic wars (army?)

*Trajan's legions

*Swedish army under Charles XII

*New Kingdom Egyptian Army

*1500's Ottoman army

*Timur's army

i agree Mongol army is the Top 1, but it is hard to rank the rest of them

:salute:

Why Russians are so powerful on battlefield

"Scratch the Russian and you will find the Tartar"

After the publication of Putin's photos at a pro-Kremlin youth forum in a summer camp on Lake Seliger in the Russian Tver Region , 350 km north of Moscow, discussions about a strange unrecognizable face of the Russian leader erupted on Russian Internet blogs.

Many Russians state that Putin now has a Mongolian-type eye shape and cheek.

"Putin is a Mongol!", says a young Democratic opposition leader Roman Dobrokhotov who is also known in the West. Seeing a close-up photo of Putin with two narrow slits as eyelids, Mr. Dobrokhotov writes: "Botox is evil. A little more and he would have to hide his face behind a handkerchief, like Michael Jackson did".

Source: Kavkaz Center
russia-s-prime-minister-vladimir-putin-pic-reuters-487199569.jpg

After the Mongol invasion of Russia, the Rurikid rulers of Russian principalities were eager to obtain political advantages for themselves and their countries by marrying into the House of Genghis. Alexander Nevsky was adopted by Batu Khan as his son. Alexander's grandson Yury of Moscow married a sister of Uzbeg Khan; however, they had no progeny. On the other hand, petty Mongol princelings of Genghisid stock sometimes settled in Russia. For instance, Berke's nephew adopted the Christian name Peter and founded St. Peter's Monastery in Rostov, where his descendants were long prominent as boyars.

The issue of three Russian-Mongol marriages may be traced down to the present. The most famous was the marriage of St. Fyodor the Black, later proclaimed a patron saint of Yaroslavl, to a daughter of the Mongol khan Mengu-Timur.[3] Fyodor's relations with the khan were idyllic: he spent more time in the Horde (where he was given extensive possessions) than in his capital. Male-line descendants of Fyodor's marriage to the Tatar princess include all the later rulers of Yaroslavl and two dozens princely families (such as the Shakhovskoy, Lvov, or Prozorovsky, among others), which passed Genghis genes to other aristocratic families of Russia.

Prince Gleb of Beloozero, a grandson of Konstantin of Russia, was another Rurikid prince influential at the Mongol court. Gleb married the only daughter of Khan Sartaq. From this marriage descends the House of Belozersk, whose scions include Princes Ukhtomsky and Beloselsky-Belozersky.
The most problematic is the marriage of Narimont, the second son of Gediminas of Lithuania, to Toqta's daughter. The earliest source for this marriage is the "Jagiellonian genealogy", compiled in the 18th-century from Ruthenian chronicles by one Joannes Werner. While the marriage is not utterly impossible (Narimont spent several years in the Horde), there are no extant chronicles which mention Narimont's wife. This highly uncertain gateway derives particular interest from the fact that the Galitzine, Khovansky and Kurakin princely families are Narimont's agnatic descendants.

Ivan the Terrible,his mother Elena Glinskaya is a descendant of Mongol Mamai Khan
006.JPG

Sain-Burat (Simeon Bekbulatovich),Tsar of Russia,direct descendant of Genghis Khan

Boris Godunov,Tsar of Russia,Mongol-tatar origin
008.jpg

Peter the Great
009.jpg

Mikhail Kutuzov,the Russian general who defeated Napoleon.Mongol-Tatar origin
010.jpg

Russian alcoholism and the "Mongoloid gene"

Russian alcoholism and the "Mongoloid gene"

SCIENTISTS researching cures for alcoholism and hangovers say that they have found a genetic link between Russians’ traditional weakness for drink and the marauding Mongol armies.

As many as 50 per cent of Muscovites are estimated to have inherited Mongol genes that make them absorb more alcohol into the bloodstream and break it down at a slower rate than most Europeans, they say.

That means that they get more drunk and have worse hangovers, and are more likely to become addicted to alcohol, given Russia’s taste for vodka, its harsh climate and the social and economic chaos after the collapse of the Soviet Union.

“The difference is huge — in reaction speed, memory, hand tremor — and in how they recover,” Vladimir Nuzhny, of the Health Ministry’s National Narcology Research Centre, said. “On average, 50 per cent of people in Moscow have this Mongoloid gene. So this, we think, is part of the problem.”

As part of the study, the scientists paid 12 volunteer students to drink 350 grams, about a third of a bottle, of vodka in an hour, and then monitored their behaviour.

“That’s a lot by Western standards, but it’s normal for Russia,” Dr Nuzhny told The Times. “At first they thought it was great, because they were being paid to drink, but after a while they realised it was more like work.”

The intoxicated students had to perform a series of tests, including answering questionnaires and playing rally-driving computer games, and they were breathalysed at regular intervals. The scientists even measured their ability to stand up straight.

After sleeping off the effects in a dormitory at the laboratory — which had a karaoke machine — the students were given a slap-up breakfast before doing more tests to measure their hangovers. The study showed that those with the Mongol genes absorbed 50 per cent more alcohol into the bloodstream at peak levels and metabolised it much more slowly than the other students.

“The way they get drunk is completely different. They are also more likely to feel aggressive or depressed,” Dr Nuzhny said. “They do not necessarily look Mongolian, but the gene that governs how they metabolise alcohol is Mongoloid.”

The Mongols swept across Asia and Russia and into Europe in the 13th century and ruled Russia for two centuries. Inter-marriage with the Slavs and other ethnic groups was common.

Scientists have long known that people of Mongol extraction, including Chinese, Koreans and Japanese, have an enzyme for metabolising alcohol that is different from that of Caucasian Europeans.

Dr Nuzhny claims that his study is the first to look at the effect of alcohol on Russians who have inherited Mongol genes. He says that the phenomenon can be explained partly by evolution. The nomadic Mongols, whose only indigenous form of alcohol was fermented mare’s milk, evolved with a different enzyme from the settled Europeans, with their long tradition of producing stronger grape and grain-based alcohol.

Dr Nuzhny’s research is partly funded by pharmaceutical companies trying to develop drugs to cure hangovers and alcoholism.

Russians drink about 15 litres of pure alcohol a head each year, one of the highest rates in the world, and by some estimates one in seven Russians are alcoholics. Alcohol is largely to blame for a fall in life expectancy to less than 59 since the fall of the Soviet Union.

Lenin is 1/4 Kalmyk Mongol
lenin_photo.jpg

Semen Budyonnuyy,the greatest Russian military commander
Bujonny.jpg

Basan Gorodvikhov,the man who led army to Berlin in 1944
basan.jpg

Stalin Khan lol
Statin_Khan.jpg

Semyon Timoshenko
Semyon_Konstantinovich_Timoshenko.jpg

Leonid Brezhnev,the General Secretary of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union from 1964 until 1982
d3e73537acaf2eddf3c1795c8d1001e938019346.jpg

another posted this list

1 german ss

2 napoleon's army

3 huns under attilla

4 british army

5 soviet army

6 macedonians under alexander

7 ottoman army

8 roman legions

9 isreali defense force

10 mongol armies

The Huns over the Mongols .....What?!

There were (and are) many great armies but one of my favorites is the army of the first crusade under leadership of Godfried van Bouillon. It was a private army of volunteers who had to take their own armor and weapons themselves. They traveled thousands of kilometers to their target and conquered it (we say liberated).

Another one not mentioned is the Frankish army who drove away the Huns and the mighty Arab army in France. Foot soldiers who were able to defeat the best cavalry at that time. They used the "square" long before the British did.

Personally I find it amazing the British forces of 16th-19th century are not very near the top of the list, I am also amazed anyone could put the Napoleons army above the British of the period given that every time they met the French got frog marched off the battlefield.

It seems to me that most of these lists are based on the size of the army and not its achievements or abilities.

I liked russians... they look drunk and pretty happy! btw i don't think they really conquerred something durin that period. (Sorry didn't read all the posts)

Guys, cut the mongolian crap! Most intelligent people of Russia know that there is alot of mongolian blood in them (especially in Ural part of Russia) after they (russians) paid "taxes" to them. My father is from Ural and he has "those eyes"...

The bulk of the Most of the armies you quote could not remotely form a civilzation

In historical order:

(1) Macedonians

(2) Roman legions

(3) Franks ( Arabs, Huns and Mongols incapable of forming a NEW civilization just using existing ones

(4) British Army

(5) Waffen SS - with their defeat European ( and American 'civilization' )came to an abrupt end

Back