Top 10 Armies Of All Time!!!

Oh dear, you may have upset Capt Frogman, by not mentioning the SBS.
Some say, they are superior to the SAS.
I will just step back and watch.

Missed this quote the first time around. (not sure how!)

I think the SBS should be honoured that they aren't mentioned. Obviously too low key for the vast majority of people. Just the way special forces units should be. ;) :p

Guys, cut the mongolian crap! Most intelligent people of Russia know that there is alot of mongolian blood in them (especially in Ural part of Russia) after they (russians) paid "taxes" to them. My father is from Ural and he has "those eyes"...

I bet he's happy he had those eyes, otherwise he would have been blind and falling over and bumping into everything

1.That's one view. But we could add many more:

a. Pharaoh's Egyptian Army.

b. Carthaginian Army of Hannibal.

c. The Persian Army.

d. Muslim Army of al Andalusia (Spain - Portugal).

e. Timur's Army.

f. Saracens of Saladin.

g. The Ottoman Army.

h. The Mughal Army.

i. Kublai Khan's Mongol-Chinese-Muslim Army.

j. The Zulus of Africa.

k. Simon Bolivar's Army of S America.

l. Red Army of the Soviets.

m. PLA, China.

n. Imperial Japanese Army.

o. Unionist Army of USA.

p. Pacific Army under MacArthur.

2. In a world that has seen warfare since existence, only ten armies to cap would be wrong. One could keep adding to the list.

Really?

The all time best army were the spanish tercios. They were the best army and they conquered the half of American continent, the half of Europe. They fighted against Samurais victoriously, againt turkish army and navy, english only could live in the worst lands of America France was afraid of a country with the half of population. Italy was a Spain's colony and with less than 10 Million people spain was near to conquer China. Hitler said: "if spanish failed the conquer of the world, nobody will be able."

1.That's one view. But we could add many more:

o. Unionist Army of USA.
As far as actual effectiveness, the CS Army of Northern Virginia was superior to the Army of the Potomac for most of the war, until Grant turned the war into a meat grinder that superior numbers gave the win to the North. Grant during the Overland Campaign & the Siege of Petersburg compares to Zhukov in being like a sledgehammer.

Everyone seems to have missed the obvious! The FIRST modern army in history and the template for all the rest: Oliver Cromwell's "New Model Army", during the 17th Century English Civil War.

Back