Tomorrow When The War Began

Mr KillKill

Has anyone seen the trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D6gi29P_vE
It looks like a remake of Red Dawn, I saw an interview with the author where he states that part of the story involves the fact that no one is supposed to know the identity of the invaders.
You have a full scale aerial bombardment, a large naval task force off the coast and a large military ground force rounding up Australian citizens and you don’t know who’s invading you? :roll:
Reminds me of that line from the Simpsons; “oh really? I did not know that. You see for the past 5 years I’ve been living on Mars…in a cave…with my eyes shut and my fingers in my ears.”

Sounds like Sweden has woken up it´s slumbering empire dreams except for a few things.
1. The Naval task force wouldn´t be large.
2. The ground element would consist of two mechanized battalions for the entire continent.
3. The aerial bombardment would consist of two squadrons of JAS 39 Gripen..The two squadrons fitted for inflight refueling.

:hide:

What if for once the invading army was actually a professional fighting force on screen, and all pretenses of abandoning realism were thrown out the window, and the rag tag group of teenagers get iced on the first confrontation scene and the movie ends twenty minutes in.

Is the invasion of Australia? I mean, why would you invade there? And lastly, why would you want to die... I mean invade there?I wouldn't want to pick a fight so far from home, with such an able enemy.

Actually this kind of reverse thinking isn't too pointless. In fact, it may be among the few ways to get your people thinking about what it might be to be on the other side.

i.e. let's say Australia, US or whatever broke apart into several different factions which ended up fighting for territory and people.
Among these groups, one prominent one tries to use some sense of nationalism or whatnot to unify the people under their influence. As a demonstration of their power they fly airliners into key buildings in Shanghai and Beijing.
The Chinese public demand blood and an invasion becomes a reality.
The Chinese realize they cannot control all of the US so they decide to target this particular group while trying to convince the others that China wants to have America as a stable and secure country just like the old days and will consider perhaps recognizing some states as legitimate countries.
Although this group that has flown planes into China is unpopular in what was formerly the US (let's say they just killed a crap load of people in the US as well), many groups are reluctant to back the Chinese because they are foreign and therefore are not to be trusted.
Suddenly things seem easier to understand.

How does that relate to an invasion of Australia? Has Australia collasped in the movie?

Also, as for America shattering into pieces, I do not see that happening, not with so many poeple with family spread all over the country. It would be like fighting my uncle in Texas from my home in Georgia. Or my brother in Nebraska helping oust my other family from Philedephia.

I just do not think that the will to break up and apart would be there. Also, this coutry did that once... Things did not procede well, I am glad we are in one piece still, but what happened in between was not a good time in American history.

Thread for another day.

Last edited:
I didn't say it would happen.
I said it would be an interesting way of seeing things.

Thanks for totally misreading my entire post.

No problem, I was sent to piss the world off :D

What you said seems to have already happned, kinda like the Baltic States, and Eastern Europe, even Africa after the abandonment of colonialism. Similar at least, the "other side" as you put it, might not be so far away than you may think, interesting take on things.

Meanwhile back to the film, I think I will just netflix it next year or something, or just wikipedia the plot.

Last edited:
No problem, I was sent to piss the world off :D

There is a surplus of that.
It's a bit like trying to be different, just like everyone else.

Anyhow.
I think switching around the parties of real scenarios (i.e. switching your side with the enemy and vice versa in terms of the wording) may not be bad exercises to get us to think beyond our own biases.

Pretty much.
If the enemy is fighting to the death and is putting up one heck of a fight, I think it's worth knowing why that is the case.
Heck, knowing your enemy is actually very important and something that we tend to overlook too often. Excusable for a 12 year old but for adults, inexcusable.

Is the invasion of Australia? I mean said:
Definatley of Australia, anytime someone uses a place name like "Cobblers Bay" its going to be of somwhere in Australia. (Why do we always name it a Bay eg; Summer Bay, Yowie Bay etc :confused:)
Another possible reason for invasion is to use the country as a staging area to launch an attack towards the north providing of course that your invading forces aren't already coming from the north. Our country is massize landwise but population-wise we don't even rate in the top 50 countries so if the bulk of your defence force is deployed overseas, you leave yourself open.
We are also a self sufficient country as we are rich in coal, iron ore, gas, oil and have large steel mills and shipping terminals as well as good faming country. In other words, all the neccessities for waging a war.
Realistically though I think a country that is capable of committing a large scale invasion would probably simply just buy us out rather than wage war with us.
Just watched this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrHFuKT2OMY&feature=related The comment at 00:32 is the sort of don't-wish-to-offend PC BS attitude that would make the Australians a soft target.

Yossarian they could paly a hearts and minds campaign buy offering free beer to us.
The door would then be left wiiiide open!TIC.

I think I'll give this one a miss...

When push comes to shove, it's a movie adaption of the first of a series of novels which really focussed with the way the teenage mind works and develops and is pitched intentionally and unashamedly at the 'young adult' demographic. It may well end up being a good movie, but I'm not sure I'll be heading out to see it any time soon... *Shrugs*

I read this book when I was at school about 15 years ago, it is a teenagers book after all.
The mrs really liked the books and has them all, read many times. I got dragged along last Friday night to watch it and found it to be a pretty good movie. It is after all a movie, not a real interpretation of what would actually happen. Remember fiction? before everything had to be exactly right?Anyway, good movie good books.
I also reckon the enemy is Kamaria. Any Australian soldier should know about the fictional enemy Kamaria, and I reckon this is the angle they have gone down (unidentified Asian county)
Cheers

Back