Tomlinson breaks Alexander's TD record

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor

BERNIE WILSON

Associated Press

SAN DIEGO - LaDainian Tomlinson broke Shaun Alexander's NFL single-season touchdown record of 28 when he scored three times Sunday in the San Diego Chargers' victory over the Denver Broncos.
With the fans chanting for Tomlinson, the star running back took a handoff from Philip Rivers and scored on a 6-yard run with 3:57 left to tie the mark. After Denver fumbled, Tomlinson got No. 29 on a 7-yard run just 47 seconds later.
Tomlinson's teammates carried him to the sideline as he held the ball aloft in one hand. With the other hand, he held up his index finer. The crowd was chanting "L.T., L.T.," as he was mobbed by the other Chargers, who clinched the AFC West title with the 48-20 win.
"Once I got over the pylon, my initial thought process was to bring every guy on the offensive unit over to share that moment," Tomlinson said. "When we're old and can't play this game anymore, them are the moments we are going to remember, that we'll be able to tell our kids, tell our grandchildren. We can talk about something special that we did. We made history today.
"There's no better feeling than to share it with the group of guys that's in that locker room."
Tomlinson has 26 TDs rushing and three receiving. He's also thrown for two touchdowns this year, but they don't count toward his personal scoring total.
"He is the finest running back to ever wear an NFL uniform," Chargers coach Marty Schottenheimer said.
Tomlinson even received praise from other stadiums Sunday.
"I'm happy for him. He deserves it," Cardinals running back Edgerrin James said. "He's been ballin', man, and I like the way he represents the running backs."
Alexander set the record last season for Seattle.
The record-setting score came of a played called power 50, which is designed to go to the inside.
"I could have guessed that that was the play we were going to call because it was Marty's favorite play," Tomlinson said. "It was fitting to break the record on Marty's favorite play."
But Tomlinson took the play outside and scored.
"Usually the coaching staff tells me if I go out there, I'm on my own," he said.

Back