Tomb of the Unknown Soldier

The official site says

"Risk assessments are constantly conducted by the Chain of Command during changing conditions to ensure that soldier welfare is maintained during mission accomplishment."

But then goes on to say

"The Tomb is guarded 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. In fact, there has been a Sentinel on duty in front of the Tomb every minute of every day since 1937."

Doe that mean that the Risk Assessment, even durring Blizzards and Hurricaines is always "Bah, you'll be fine out there right? Yeah, sure you will. Now try and not freeze to death in this blizzard!"

Whispering Death said:
The official site says

"Risk assessments are constantly conducted by the Chain of Command during changing conditions to ensure that soldier welfare is maintained during mission accomplishment."

But then goes on to say

"The Tomb is guarded 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. In fact, there has been a Sentinel on duty in front of the Tomb every minute of every day since 1937."

Doe that mean that the Risk Assessment, even durring Blizzards and Hurricaines is always "Bah, you'll be fine out there right? Yeah, sure you will. Now try and not freeze to death in this blizzard!"

That's a good point. But are there even many Hurricanes or Blizzards over there? There might be just like snow and rain, but Hurricanes and Blizzards seems to be a little extreme for over there. Maybe there are. I don't know..... :roll:

Just out of interest the Tomb of The Unkown Soldier in Britain is in Westminster Abbey in is the main isle of the church. Britain as you know started this tradition of the Tomb To The Unknown Soldier after WW1. There is not any form of guard on the tomb, but odd homages get paid to this warrior. Princess Elizabeth when she got married in Westminster paused and laid her poses of flowers on the grave while making her way to the altar

I have been there before. It was really quiet and respect. I've seen them changing guard. It was really cool. It was very impressive. :salute2:

When you were there, has the sentry every had to yell at anyone to be quiet?

Once, when we were there, there was a family that, not only wouldn't shut up, they were really loud. So, When he stopped at the end that was closest to the family, he turns to them and says something like " it is requested that visitors remain silent"

I'm telling you, i never saw people more scared, it was hilarious. The little kids were standing at attention, and the mom and dad were so embarassed. It was sad that they had to be told off, but i thought it was kinda funny that they shut right up.

:rambo:

OORAH said:
When you were there, has the sentry every had to yell at anyone to be quiet?

Once, when we were there, there was a family that, not only wouldn't shut up, they were really loud. So, When he stopped at the end that was closest to the family, he turns to them and says something like " it is requested that visitors remain silent"

I'm telling you, i never saw people more scared, it was hilarious. The little kids were standing at attention, and the mom and dad were so embarassed. It was sad that they had to be told off, but i thought it was kinda funny that they shut right up.

:rambo:

Hehe, that would be funny to watch.

Whispering Death said:
The official site says

But then goes on to say

I'll have to find the source, but I remember reading once that the guards were once given the option of not guarding the Tomb due to severe inclement weather, and they refused.

EDIT: found it, and I was wrong. From the FAQ page at tombguard.org:
What is it like to guard in bad weather?
The guards at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier (we call ourselves "Sentinels") are completely dedicated to their duty of guarding the Tomb. Because of that dedication, the weather does not bother them. In fact, they consider it an honor to stand their watch (we call it "walking the mat"), regardless of the weather. It gets cold, it gets hot - but the Sentinels never budge. And they never allow any feeling of cold or heat to be seen by anyone.

Do you guard in a blizzard or a bad thunderstorm?
YES, BUT the accomplishment of the mission and welfare of the Soldier is never put at risk. The Tomb Guards have contingencies that are ready to be executed IF the weather conditions EVER place the Soldiers at risk of injury or death – such as lightning, high winds, etc. This ensures that Sentinels can maintain the Tomb Guard responsibilities while ensuring soldier safety. It is the responsibility of the Chain of Command from the Sergeant of the Guard to the Regimental Commander to ensure mission accomplishment and soldier welfare at all times.

It was erroneously reported that during Hurricane Isabel, the Sentinels were ordered to abandon their posts for shelter and that they refused. No such order was ever given. All proper precautions were taken to ensure the safety of the Sentinels while accomplishing their mission. Risk assessments are constantly conducted by the Chain of Command during changing conditions to ensure that soldier welfare is maintained during mission accomplishment.

EDIT #2: turns out I was sort of right re: being given the option not to stand watch.

Alexander was still walking the mat last year, when Hurricane Isabel blew across the cemetery.

The sentinels had been given permission to seek shelter under the arches of the amphitheater. But when the wind howled, Alexander just leaned into it.

Two large trees crashed to the ground near the tomb.

“I watched them fall,” he said, “then kept walking.”

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1277878/posts

That is pretty awesome, I got the chance to see the changing of the guard at ANC, It was amazing to watch, it seemed like nobody was breathing. There was one family who had a little boy, he kept asking the sentinels if they were going to shoot the gun, his parents had to keep telling him no. After the ceremony was over, one of the men came over and told her that this was an important ceremony, and they needed to keep their children under control. The parents were embarrassed, and the boy was scared. but, I got to see the changing of the guard again, unspoiled.

behemoth79 said:
whats with the waist size limit? thats discrimination i tell ya.
Maybe; but since it's the military, they can set discriminatory policies as long as they're applied to everybody. :lol:

Back