Tomb ov the Unknown Soldier

lvcabbie

Tomb of the Unknown Soldier
These guy ignore the weather!

110828-irene-tomb-of-unknown-soldier.jpg

I’m glad they (and the Army) are getting recognition. They (the Old Guard) should have gotten more notice, as well, for their nighttime mission of photographing every grave in Arlington National Cemetery.

From a not so modern Creek warrior.

The Old Guard does a whole lot more than guard the Tomb.
Stationed at Fort McNair, the regiment has the responsibility for defending Washington against any attack and, as such, constantly train. All this in addition to their duties as burying our soldiers, conducting a variety of parades for visiting dignitaries and a whole lot more. These guys work their butts off and few have the faintest idea about them.

:m1:

Well, some of us know about them, and they're not getting the cred they deserve in my opinion.

One of the great things about being stationed in Washington, DC was the concerts provided by the US Army Band, The Marine Corps Band, and The Air Force Band. And, each had various subgroups like jazz bands/combos, choruses and individual soloists.
To me, the most enjoyable was the show the Army put on at the Jefferson Memorial. The audience sat on the steps [no few bringing folding chairs] and the Band would march in followed by The Old Guard, along with Washington's Lifeguard and The Fife and Drum corps. What an awesome show!

Back