The Tom Clancy thread - Page 2

--
Boots

December 16th, 2004  
03USMC

I totally forgot about Without Remorse. That is a great book. Course I like Clark.

Net Force and Ops Center are pretty dry for Clancy. I'm hoping he gets back in his groove.
December 17th, 2004  
Locke

reading clancy is fine if you are a very patriotic american, or u just dont give a damn, or u recognise his writing for what it is.
the characters are shallow, his "we are the best at everything" is apparent in every book, and as you said, there is nothing about paying respect to the deal, once they died they were forgotten.
a good book (see ice station, scarecrow by matthew reilly) should always have at least one completely unexpected event/twist happen. completely out of the blue. it keeps the readers on thier toes!
December 17th, 2004  
A Can of Man

A Clancy book is really an action flick in a book. Which is why movie adaptations of it are so successful.... unless you shove in Ben Affleck.
--
Boots
December 17th, 2004  
Locke

ben who....?

yeah they are like bruce willis movies, nice and easy to sit down and watch
December 17th, 2004  
Focus Fate

I've been meaning to read some of his books. Hunt For Red October was an awesome movie.

I loved Ghost Recon but that was just the video game. Also I don't think a Rainbow Six movie would be too good. I don't know I just see it as too easily turning out the way SWAT (the movie) did. Just one long chase of some high profile guy with not too much actual action.
December 17th, 2004  
A Can of Man

Yeah and if Rainbow Six does it right, it'll be hours of preparation and the takedown will take only two minutes
December 19th, 2004  
Doc.S

I say if they should do a movie in the future why dont make Red Storm Rising a Movie! They should do it big and with a large budget I think they could do Red Storm Rising in a box type of movie like Band Of Brothers or something with alot of large scale assults and air-land-sea battle scenes. That would make alot of other movies fade away with the right director behind the camera that is. 8)

Cheers:
Doc.S
December 19th, 2004  
Locke

i rekon that if they were to make a movie like RSR, they would completely overdo it esp. with the special effects. once you start using heaps of special effects its like its a competition to have the most, and the effects, not the story becomes the focus of the movie.
if they use the effects wisely (ie sparsely) and instead focus on the story, you will end up with a much better film.
look at band of brothers: it would have been soooo easy to try to use heaps of pyrotechnics and go OTT. instead, it was very minimalist, with lots of character, and historical enphasis
December 19th, 2004  
Doc.S

I say it could be done - Look at the awsome scenes in Behind Enemy Lines or Black Hawk Down or why not Band of Brothers. There is alot of caracters to follow in RSR and it is a great story. I would say it is the best Tom C. book to be honest. I got them all Great fan of T.Cs books.

Cheers:
Doc.S
December 19th, 2004  
Focus Fate

Yeah, B.O.B. was very well done and focused mostly on the story. Loved every minute of it!