Tokarev pistol

RusCan2013

The Tokarev TT-30 (and later 33) pistol is a beautiful gun
TT_1.jpg

As the name suggests, it's production began in 1930, in the Soviet Union.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TT_pistol

It was an iconic side-arm of the Red Army through World War Two
1335772741_kombat1.jpg

0_3cf6b_efe535fb_XL.jpg
91849de96146af8938b19d75db2c93eb.jpg
2005030705.jpg

and for a long time afterwards.

It is said to be a very powerful gun, in fact, after the USSR fell apart and general chaos and corruption ensued at military warehouses, organized crime groups, the mob, stockpiled them, after apparently finding out, in shoot-outs, that TT had the power to actually pierce Russian police-issue body armour vests
1316035167181936_big_photo.jpeg

As a result, the TT is now a "gangster gun"
0445c3dc5cdd292b56289245653d9a5d.jpg

with the according reputation.

TTs very often figure in photos of weapons left over on crime scenes or confiscated from criminals
large_566129.jpg
photo_6215.jpg
4.jpg

I personally think it is a very ignoble end for a good weapon... The gun that once helped win Russia's end of WWII, now is fighting a war on her own streets. :(

Oh, well. Sais la vie. Or however you spell that. :D

The Chinese also build a copy in both 9mm Parabellum and 7.62x25 under the name Norinco. The original Soviet weapon doesn't have a safety catch while the Chinese version does. The weapon is a pure John Browning design, while the Soviet built models are quite reliable, the Chinese built copies are extremely poorly made. After working on a few trying to get them to function reliably, I came to conclusion that they are as "Rough as a bears bum."

The 7.62x25 round will go clean through a level 2 vest no problem and will also fit and feed into the Mauser C96, but the higher pressures will very quickly destroy the firearm.

The Chinese also build a copy in both 9mm Parabellum and 7.62x25 under the name Norinco. The original Soviet weapon doesn't have a safety catch while the Chinese version does. The weapon is a pure John Browning design, while the Soviet built models are quite reliable, the Chinese built copies are extremely poorly made. After working on a few trying to get them to function reliably, I came to conclusion that they are as "Rough as a bears bum."

The 7.62x25 round will go clean through a level 2 vest no problem and will also fit and feed into the Mauser C96, but the higher pressures will very quickly destroy the firearm.

The Chinese copied everything from Russia. They also had their version of PPSh and then - their version of the AK, etc. :wink::rolleyes:

I think there is a big difference between the Chinese copies of Soviet designs and their copies of Western designs however. They obtained the proper licenses for the Soviet weapons so they could produce them for their own use (and export) but their Western copies are typically unlicensed. That is to say, illegal/pirate copies intended for sale to the West purely to make money for the Chinese government.

Not too excited with the looks of the pistol, but that's one hot round, basicly a hot version of the 7.63 Mauser, like the up loaded 9MM sub machine gun rounds.

Not too excited with the looks of the pistol, but that's one hot round, basicly a hot version of the 7.63 Mauser, like the up loaded 9MM sub machine gun rounds.

The 7.62x25 is a nasty round, and as I said in a previous post it would zip through a level 2 vest like a hot knife through butter. I haven't seen pressure test data anywhere, but I would assume its very high when compared to the 7.63 Mauser round.

The pistol itself is pure Browning with a barrel link and lock up as per the Colt 1911. I had one brought in for repair that had jammed solid, the slide would not open. I pulled the slide lock pin and managed to take it apart, then saw something I have never seen before or since, some numbnut affirmative action welder had welded the barrel link so it wouldn't move. One totally stuffed firearm!

The best clone is the Yugoslavian M57 which has a further elongated magazine well and a capacity of 9 rounds. Owned one and it was fun... sold it for a Czech CZ52 in the same caliber. The post war CZ used the roller locked action of the MG42 and could handle loads that would destroy a TT-30/33 series pistol.

Tokarev vs. CZ52

I prefer the Tokarev. It is slimmer and better for IWB carry. It also has a better trigger.

The Polish TT30 is nicely finished, but it is hard to find one in original condition. Most of the imports were modified with a crappy safety to meet US import requirements.

The Norinco has a crappy safety as well, but at least it is unobtrusive, so it can be left "off".

Back