Today In the UK

US troops ordered to avoid London (From the BBC)

RAF Lakenheath is one of the bases affected
Thousands of US military personnel based in the UK have been banned by commanders from travelling to London in the wake of Thursday's bomb attacks.

Details of the travel ban, enforced on Friday, emerged as US President George W Bush said the US would "not retreat in the face of terrorists" .

He said: "In this difficult hour, the people of Great Britain can know the American people stand with you."

Well Thanks for that George. Comments gents?

It's pretty much SOP in US Military Commands to restrict leave, liberty and travel when Alert levels are raised.

Generally this refers only to off duty travel. The reason being is to keep the majority of the Command available to respond to additional threats within the TAO in rapid manner and with enough manpower.

Speaking from expierance the personel not being allowed to travel are probably standing posts or recieving training and generally attempting to secure the bases to meet a terrorist attack attempt.

03USMC said:
It's pretty much SOP in US Military Commands to restrict leave, liberty and travel when Alert levels are raised.

Generally this refers only to off duty travel. The reason being is to keep the majority of the Command available to respond to additional threats within the TAO in rapid manner and with enough manpower.

Speaking from expierance the personel not being allowed to travel are probably standing posts or recieving training and generally attempting to secure the bases to meet a terrorist attack attempt.

not quite true in this case Sarge the original order did include families, the base commanders have had a rethink and the order has been rescinded. There will be embarressed faces in the Officers mess tonight.

So was it an order issued at local command level ? I can understand the back peddle then especially if it restricted dependants. Someone at JCOS or DOD level got ahold of it.

Course you also have to realize that Air Force Officers and Ground Force Officers respond to threats differently.

03USMC said:
So was it an order issued at local command level ? I can understand the back peddle then especially if it restricted dependants. Someone at JCOS or DOD level got ahold of it.

Course you also have to realize that Air Force Officers and Ground Force Officers respond to threats differently.

:D I think some bugger has shot themself in the foot here Sarg, bloody officers, clueless!

Welshwarrior said:
03USMC said:

:D I think some bugger has shot themself in the foot here Sarg, bloody officers, clueless!

Sounds like a rapid reaction that didn't clear with higher first.

03USMC said:
Welshwarrior said:
03USMC said:

Sounds like a rapid reaction that didn't clear with higher first.

:D And how many times have we suffered from that Sarge? Our Armies are not that dissimiliar, its always the grunts that bear the brunts.

Officers make no more dumb decisions than enlisted - it's just that an O's decision (in some cases) generally have a more widespread impact. Knee jerk reactions will never play out as intended.

There really wasn't enough information in your original post to form any opinion on the order.

Back