Tobacco & the military?

stay away from the pouches, they aren't that great. Copenhagen black mid cut is the best ever!

I use to smoke 3 packs of Marlboro reds a day and have a lipful of cope at the same time. In Oki we get get cigs for about 75 cents a pack and I would have friends send me rolls of cope from the States because it was different in Oki. It was in a plastic can and tasted like it had fiberglass in it. I tell ya when guys would hear you thumpin on that tin they would come runnin. So, I would have it mailed from the States and be able to sell it for different things. Learn the barter system fellas.

First time i smoked it was a Marlboro red. My run time must have dropped a good 30 sec. for every drag. I felt like shit for the next day. Last time i smoked a red. I smoke sometimes when i go out and get drunk, but that doesn't happen often enough to affect my run time at all. Thats why I stick to good old Copenhagen.

About french consuming the vine,well its traditional there,but i personally dont aprove that eather

These soldiers are out fighting for the U.S. and they can't choose to smoke or not?! That is pretty bad. they are risking their lives daily for this country but yet they can't smoke or drink. Off duty for drinking is fine with me but as long as they are not on duty. Smoking is another thing. It doesn't alter their way of thinking and it doesn't make you do stupid things(like drinking does). Smoking is a way to release stress and be calmer i think in war they can smoke a cigarette or chew. It is a stressful time and after a big battle it would call for a smoke. If it doesn't cause any harm to others and makes a person who is fighting for our freedom feel better let the kid have a cigarette for god sakes.

Linnea said:
These soldiers are out fighting for the U.S. and they can't choose to smoke or not?! That is pretty bad. they are risking their lives daily for this country but yet they can't smoke or drink. Off duty for drinking is fine with me but as long as they are not on duty. Smoking is another thing. It doesn't alter their way of thinking and it doesn't make you do stupid things(like drinking does). Smoking is a way to release stress and be calmer i think in war they can smoke a cigarette or chew. It is a stressful time and after a big battle it would call for a smoke. If it doesn't cause any harm to others and makes a person who is fighting for our freedom feel better let the kid have a cigarette for god sakes.

There is a time to smoke, and a time not to smoke. Smoking is not illegal in the military.

the only time smoking is not allowed is at night during combat operations. A lit cigarette makes a nice target. That is probably why a lot of people chew in the army

On another note...as a non smoker I always bring a few packs of cigarette to the field. When a smoker runs out, he'll pay a lot for a pack. The price of poor planning...

Doody said:
A lit cigarette makes a nice target.

...and of course lighting it is pretty tricky too.

There is a British Army superstition that lighting three cigarettes from the same match is bad luck. They think this comes from World War 1, when a night sniper would be alerted when he saw the flash of the match lighting the first cigarette, get set on the second, and aim and fire on the third.

Bad luck indeed.

there's a classic cartoon from Bill Mauldin showing a medic lighting up a smoke right with a bunch of grunts. The medic says "it's ok, Joe. I'm a noncombatant"

I couldn't find it online. Check out the book...it's a classic

Back