At times I hate the gun trade

BritinBritain

Per Ardua Ad Astra
The gun trade and I have a love hate relationship It never ceases to amaze me how much crap people come out with, according to them, their clapped out junk is always worth more then the brand new guns I have in stock

I had a chap walk into the shop stating he had a very rare collectors piece he wanted to sell, had never been fired in brand new condition and not a mark on it. He dragged a 6.35mm/25ACP Baby Browning out of his pocket. The blue had all but worn off, obviously been well used and the grips were cracked. He got most upset when I told him that “his collectors piece” wasn't even fit for spares.

Sometimes however, I do get to see amazing treasures. One day I had an elderly chap come in with a cased shotgun and asked me for a valuation. I opened the case and inside the lid was the legend “Holland and Holland London.” I mounted the barrels and the forearm, the gun had been well used, but in beautiful condition and locked tight. I began to examine the gun closely and saw it was a Paradox. I nearly wet myself with excitement lol.

The chap was an ex Indian Army Officer, who's father (also an ex Indian Army Officer) purchased the gun second hand in India in 1912. The gun was frequently used on tiger hunts, during one such hunt an elephant stood on the stock, breaking it. The gun was sent to a gunsmith in India and a new stock fitted to the same quality as the original. The gun was passed to the son on the owners death and again frequently used. The chap then moved to South Africa sometime after WW2 and continued to use his Holland and Holland for bird shooting. Even though the gun hadn't been proofed for modern nitro ammunition, black powder proofed only, it handled modern ammunition without problem.

The sad part of the story is, the chap was sending his gun to a nephew living in England who from what was said “Didn't know what he's getting.” I asked him if he wanted to adopt me as a nephew and give me the gun. (He thought I was kidding lol)

I know your feeling....

I've had a number of similar situations.

Working a gun show, guy comes in with a Taurus small frame DAO polymer pistol. I forgot what model..... cheap little thing. Guy wants to sell it. I ask him how much he's looking to get out of it. Says he wants $600..... I laugh at him. Those guns didn't wholesale over $350..... Also the damn thing was broken. Slide Stop pin was missing.

Had another customer come in the shop with a number of firearms. Says that they were all of his Great Grandpa's and he didn't want them because guns were "icky" and "bad". Anyways I look through them. Most of them were older cheaper guns. Nothing bad, just lower priced firearms of the period. Single shot .22s, single shot bolt action .410 shotgun, etc..... in the group was a unaltered 1896 Krag Cavalry Carbine. I asked him about that and he said that it was his Great Grandpa's old army rifle that he kept after the Span-Am and he hunted with it after that. It was in great condition and I've wanted a Krag for a long time..... but they're getting pricey. So out of **** and giggles I offer him a $100 for the rifle. He takes it...... And You've seen it. I posted it here.

Another time I was about to close shop. Couple of gang bangers come into the shop scoping the place out. It was me and three friends behind the counter. He had our pistols on our hips with the thumb breaks off..... so they took the hint that they're not going to be able to rob the place and get out alive. So they're about the leave when one of the thugs look at my display of Crimson Trace Laser Grips. He asks how much. I tel him three fifty. He looks awe struck and asked is that with taxes. I said no. So he says he wants the one for the display model which was for a S&W J-Frame Revolver. So I grabbed one from under my counter and rang it up and he reaches in his pocket and pulls out five dollars. I just look at him like "WTF". I ask him if he understand that it's not $3.50 but that it's $350.00. He just gets all angry and tries to make himself look all tough. His other thug friends just laugh at him.

Of course my favorite is the damn yankee snow birds and left coasters that move to Florida. They always walk in my store and say that what I sell is illegal. I'm a class three dealer. So I sell transferable machine guns, surpresserors, short barreled rifles, short barreled shotguns, and a BATFE definition "Any Other Weapon" along with the regular semi-auto AR-15s and AK series rifles. So I explain to them that no..... it's all legal and that the states that they come from simply opressed their 2nd Amendment Rights and that Florida isn't called the Gunshine State for nothing. Also when they want to buy somethine they keep getting into the idea that they need police promission to buy something and own it..... same deal. I explain to them that in Florida it is illegal for that to happen, that there is no permit or tax or test to own, and that no government angecy can have a registration list of gun owners because that is also against State Law.

It's just a nature of the industry.....

I wish I could live in a country where guns are allowed. I strongly believe that every man have the right to defend himself. The criminals already have guns, legal or not...

I like reading your little stories. It's very special for me... We dont know much about guns around here. And to see you guys talk about it like if you were talking about wine or cars... it's somehow refreshing, please share more.

and by the way, dont you feel a little ashamed to actually abuse these people who dont know that their guns are valuable?

I wish I could live in a country where guns are allowed. I strongly believe that every man have the right to defend himself. The criminals already have guns, legal or not...

I like reading your little stories. It's very special for me... We dont know much about guns around here. And to see you guys talk about it like if you were talking about wine or cars... it's somehow refreshing, please share more.

and by the way, dont you feel a little ashamed to actually abuse these people who dont know that their guns are valuable?

Thanks.... you're always welcomed in the Great State of Florida.

Firearms for me are like wine and cars. Except they're a God given right that is listed in the Constitution.

They know full well their guns are worthless, worn out, not as new condition as they claim and certainly not collectors items, yet they try it on to see if I'm stupid enough to swallow their crap. If I tell someone a firearm is in brand new condition and unfired, its because thats what it is. I've had people try and get money refunded for holsters, ammunition and such like which were never bought in my store. I even had one idiot who tried to get refunded on a box of Jacketed Hollow Point 45 ACP ammunition which he had fired and reloaded with lead bullets. I threw him out on his ear and told him not to come back.This is the sort of thing that annoys me big time. I do my utmost to trade fairly, I expect the same from customers.

Take my word for it, after over 20 years in the gun trade I know who is trying it on and those who are genuine.

Last edited:
Brit, you're not alone. It's not just the gun trade ... but nearly every commercial business that buys and sells used and new. I don't care if it's books, antique lamps, lawn and garden equipment ... or guns. There are always people who think their junk is priceless and others that have a rare gem but don't know it's worth.

That's why it's interesting to get up each morning. :thumb:

For the people who insist their clunkers are gold, simply smile and say you disagree. After all, you aren't forced to buy anything, are you? :?:

The whole point is not to take it personally and get aggravated. Life is too short.

If someone insists their items hold a higher value, simply smile then invite them to find some other buyer who agrees. :cool:

If none of that works, just shoot them. :m16:

Brit, you're not alone. It's not just the gun trade ... but nearly every commercial business that buys and sells used and new. I don't care if it's books, antique lamps, lawn and garden equipment ... or guns. There are always people who think their junk is priceless and others that have a rare gem but don't know it's worth.

I can well believe that.

The whole point is not to take it personally and get aggravated. Life is too short.

If someone insists their items hold a higher value, simply smile then invite them to find some other buyer who agrees. :cool:

Oh I tried all of that, but after the umpteen millionth time my politeness went out of the window.

I was reading the local newspaper last week and noticed an advertisement, “For sale. Collectors item, mint condition Baby Browning 6.35 (25ACP) R5000 (about US$500).” lol I was sooo tempted to phone him.

If none of that works, just shoot them. :m16:

Take my word for it, I've come close to that many times.

In the end, rather then try and argue with these people who think their junk is priceless, I point to a sign I put up. "Those who think they know guns, REALLY annoy those who do."

Usually they stop their crap and leave.

They know full well their guns are worthless, worn out, not as new condition as they claim and certainly not collectors items, yet they try it on to see if I'm stupid enough to swallow their crap. If I tell someone a firearm is in brand new condition and unfired, its because thats what it is. I've had people try and get money refunded for holsters, ammunition and such like which were never bought in my store. I even had one idiot who tried to get refunded on a box of Jacketed Hollow Point 45 ACP ammunition which he had fired and reloaded with lead bullets. I threw him out on his ear and told him not to come back.This is the sort of thing that annoys me big time. I do my utmost to trade fairly, I expect the same from customers.

Take my word for it, after over 20 years in the gun trade I know who is trying it on and those who are genuine.
He was refering to the guy you offered 100$ to on the Krag, instead of a fair price.

Unfortunately, it's a problem that is as old as trading itself.

The First Rule of Trading.
"In any particular attempted transaction, a firearm, or for that matter any other item, is only worth what the buyer is willing to pay".

I collect miner's Flame Safety Lamps, and froth up every time I see reproductions described and priced like originals, or get someone who knows no better, offering me 20% of my considered worth of an item. (Usually based on current market price).

It is usually not so much the fact that they do these things, but the fact that they are often displaying rudeness or blatant fraudulent intent when doing it.

Usually if someone offers a price well under what I consider to be correct I usually just smile and say something like, "If you can find one for that price, sell it to me and I will double your money"

Last edited:
I was very calm

I thought I had heard it all till the other day.

I heard a customer arguing with my salesman, I went out to the counter area to see a customer with a very old box of 25ACP cartridges and two box's of Kynoch .320 revolver cratridges. The customer stated that he wants to give those rounds to my salesman and he gives him back a brand new box of 38 Special in return. He picked up a box and said quite proudly “These are worth money, you can always resell them.”

I very calmly said, “Worth money to whom? Do you REALLY think I'm going to give you brand new ammunition in exchange for ammunition thats over 50 years old? I might be daft mate, I aint bloody insane. No thanks”

He got all bitter and twisted and left lol

Hi guys,
Am new to the site but can usually hold a conversation bout firearms!

the closest thing to antiques ive come in contact with was an old Winchester 30-30
fantastic rife, important piece of history but an absolute bastard to shoot! the stock sinks low to your shoulder which means that the back of the gun hits ya in the cheek!

haha oh well not everything can be perfect!

Back