Times Article says "Florida's Zeal Against Castro Is Losing Heat"

DTop

I heard about this story on the radio today and looked it up on the Times Watch web site. I thought I'd share what I found. It's amazing to me coming from a paper of the proported stature of the New York Times. What do you think?

"Wednesday's front-page story on anti-Castro Cuban exiles in Miami by Abby Goodnough, "Florida's Zeal Against Castro Is Losing Heat," shows how the paper loses its respect for aggrieved minority groups when they trend Republican: "But if Mr. Castro's grip on Cuban Miami remains strong, the fixation is expressed differently these days. The monolithic stridency that once defined the exile community has faded. There is less consensus on how to fight Mr. Castro and even, as Cuban-Americans grow more politically and economically diverse, less intensity of purpose."
Goodnough stacks the deck with unflattering anecdotes about the Cuban-Americans, including one that appears to hailfrom 1992: "In the past, Cuban-Americans boycotted The Herald and smeared feces on its vending boxes to protest what they considered pro-Castro coverage. This city where raucous demonstrations by exiles were once as regular as summer storms has seen few lately. One theory is that the people whose life's mission was to defeat Mr. Castro and return to the island one day -- those who fled here in the early years of his taking power -- have grown old and weary."
Goodnough gives backhanded praise to a less "belligerent" exile group while dredging up more unflattering images: "The subtler approach is gaining favor. Cuban-Americans have grown more politically aware since the Elián González episode, many say, when their fervor to thwart the Clinton administration and the boy's return to his father in Cuba drew national contempt. Americans who had paid little attention to the policy debate over Cuba tended to support sending Elián home, polls showed, and were put off by images of exiles blocking traffic and flying American flags upside down in protest. 'Elián González was a great lesson, a brutal lesson,' said Joe Garcia, the former executive director of the Cuban-American National Foundation, a once belligerent but now more measured exile group."
During the battle over sending immigrant Elian Gonzalez back to his father in Communist Cuba, a Times editorial from April 14, 2000 showed an atypical lack of respect for mass protests of minority groups, calling up unflattering images of foreigners the paper's liberal editors generally avoid like the plague: "The relatives, and the hundreds of supporters who daily encircle the great-uncle's home to shield the boy, make it look as if South-Florida's Cuban-Americans believe in mob rule."

SOURCE

Perhaps the Times is engaging in a bit of wishful thinking. The poor devils that had to live under that monster will never forget, or forgive him!

I don't believe the anti-Castro movement has lost it's zeal to see Fidel go away. I believe they may have changed to a less in your face type activity. Especially in light of the Beards advancing years and health issues. I'd bet they are in a wait and see mood.

But I'm willing to bet 5.56 can give some insight into this as Cubano from the Miami area.

Well, I never read the 'New York Slimes" but I have known some younger 3rd generation Americans from Cuban Grandparents and as I understand it, they are not allowing the younger generation to forget their homeland and what happened to them.

I too look forward to hearing 5.56's take on this. :)

I think if there is any reason for a lack of physical protesting it would be owing to age and health like 03 said. Four years ago I spent my vacation in Miami with a Cubana and when out with her friends in the neighbourhood I asked some questions about Cuba and Castro and the answers I got were all full of emotion and vehemence. I would be highly surprised to learn of such a drastic change as this article implies.

It sounds like the Times is putting its usual liberal twist on things. I did find the Times Watch site interesting though.

TWO WORDS

BULL SHIT

I'm sorry but as a Citizen of Miami and as a Cuban American. That article is dead wrong. Walk down any street in South Floirda and say that you support Castro or his government. I guarantee that you will get jumped and have the crap beaten out of you.

The hate for Castro still burns in Miami as bright as the sun does during summer. He will never be forgotten for the crimes that he has commited on my people and for the crimes that he has helped spread through out the world. Luckly his time shall come soon. And when that happens. Miami will party like it's the second coming of Jesus Christ!

Last edited:
5.56X45mm said:
I'm sorry but as a Citizen of Miami and as a Cuban American. That article is dead wrong. Walk down any street in South Floirda and say that you support Castro or his government. I guarantee that you will get jumped and have the crap beaten out of you.

Is it right to say that Castro regime may die once Castro, himself, dies?

Maybe we could compare regularities between the Cubans in Miami and the Kurds in Europe. Of course there are differences, but it would be an interesting exercise of intellect, would it not?

The biggest fear here is that once Fidel dies, his brother will take over. And his brother Raul isn't the smartest of the bunch. The older generation (those that came here in the 1960s) wish to move back to Cuba after the remige ends. But the younger generation (those of my father's age, around 50 years old) Know that there is no economic reason for them to move back. And those of my generation do want to move back, buts that's because we want to rebuild.

If there is no economy, government, and infostructure. We don't care, we can always start fresh. And we believe that the US Government would help.

Ted said:
Maybe we could compare regularities between the Cubans in Miami and the Kurds in Europe. Of course there are differences, but it would be an interesting exercise of intellect, would it not?

It would seem interesting. I have no problem with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hahahahaha I am sorry DTop! I won't hijack it anylonger :| I'll start another making the comparison.....

Back