Time for a new Shuttle design?

i wonder if it's time for a global space administration?

spread the strain amongst the countries who want the benefits

I was a great fan of the space race, then of course, it never cost me anything. But I feel that the spinoffs of the space race dragged our technology forward faster than at any other time in my life. It really started the "technological revolution".

Back in the late 60s through to the 80s there were plenty of visible signs of what we were learning and much of it was improving out lives. Things like computer technology right down to the development of solar cells and long life batteries.

I feel that it has probably reached a plateau as far as many of these things are concerned and much of the R&D revolves around spy systems and defence which may not benefit us so directly.

Overall I would like to think that it is still the backbone of all R&D civil and military.

Last edited:
I was a great fan of the space race, then of course, it never cost me anything. But I feel that the spinoffs of the space race dragged our technology forward faster than at any other time in my life. It really started the "technological revolution".

Back in the late 60s through to the 80s there were plenty of visible signs of what we were learning and much of it was improving out lives. Things like computer technology right down to the development of solar cells and long life batteries.

I feel that it has probably reached a plateau as far as many of these things are concerned and much of the R&D revolves around spy systems and defence which may not benefit us so directly.

Overall I would like to think that it is still the backbone of all R&D civil and military.

I completely agree with this. The development of space technology has spilled over into other industries. Quite a lot of knowledge, let alone various goods, have been developed thanks to space exploration.

The slated shuttle replacement is to be called the CEV (Crew Exploration Vehicle) and is going to be in service by 2010. The current front running design is an offshoot of the Saturn V rocket. It will have the ability to move not only more tonnage into orbit, but also to push astronauts beyond earths orbit.

I completely agree with this. The development of space technology has spilled over into other industries. Quite a lot of knowledge, let alone various goods, have been developed thanks to space exploration.

The question is whether space research is worth the cost and risk given that space can now more or less be "emulated" from an office computer.

I guess it could be said that for the human race to survive we will need to go deeper into space but as far as what we can learn from orbit I would suggest that the returns are starting to diminish.

The question is whether space research is worth the cost and risk given that space can now more or less be "emulated" from an office computer.

I guess it could be said that for the human race to survive we will need to go deeper into space but as far as what we can learn from orbit I would suggest that the returns are starting to diminish.

I disagree that such experements can be replicated on a computer. Computers can simulate an outcome, but actual experimentation must be done before you can get a product or a new piece of information, at least where advances that directly benefit the common man is concerned (obviously with fields like theoretical physics computer analysis is the best you have).

I do, however, agree that we should be going farther then earth orbit. Thats one of the great things about the CEV - It's design has the capability to take astronauts to the moon and more then likely all the way to mars.

I disagree that such experements can be replicated on a computer. Computers can simulate an outcome, but actual experimentation must be done before you can get a product or a new piece of information, at least where advances that directly benefit the common man is concerned (obviously with fields like theoretical physics computer analysis is the best you have).

But for the most part those experiments have been done and we have the answers. It is now far easier and cheaper for a company to test its product in simulated environments (vacuum/gravity chambers etc.) and using simulation software here on earth than it is to pay to have it done in orbit.

But for the most part those experiments have been done and we have the answers. It is now far easier and cheaper for a company to test its product in simulated environments (vacuum/gravity chambers etc.) and using simulation software here on earth than it is to pay to have it done in orbit.

Yes, but now that Space has become so very important to everyday life here on Earth, that the Space above Planet Earth is Militarized.

How will a Company here on Earth test it's product in a Global Market with no Satellites?

Yes, but now that Space has become so very important to everyday life here on Earth, that the Space above Planet Earth is Militarized.

I'm submitting that sentence to the Bad English Awards... can I get a translation?
:read:

Some previous winners...

http://www.torinfo.com/justforlaughs/amazing_eng_sen.html
# Let's buy some food home! (Singapore)
# Don't smoke without causing an explosion! (South Wales)
# AIDS is very popular in Africa. (Hong Kong)
# My hair needs washed. (Scotland, Northern Ireland, parts of USA)
# Whenever my baby was born I was 26. (Northern Ireland)
# Her outlook is very beautiful. (Hong Kong)
# John smokes a lot anymore. (Mid-West USA)
# I am difficult to study. (Hong Kong)
# I might could do it. (Scotland, Northern England, India, parts of USA)
# My name is spelt with four alphabets. (Singapore)
# You must beware of your handbag! (Hong Kong)
# We'll be there nine while ten. (Lancashire, Yorkshire)
# He loves his car than his girlfriend. (India, parts of Africa)
# Come here till I punch you! (Ireland, Liverpool, Cumbria, parts of Scotland)
# I'm after losing my ticket. (Ireland)
# My brother helps me with my studies and so do my car. (Hong Kong)
# I use to live there now. (Singapore)
# My grandfather died for a long time. (Hong Kong)
# I am having a nice car. (India, Singapore)
# I'll give it him. (Northern England (standard))
# Robots can do people not like jobs. (Hong Kong (low proficiency))

Soyuz, anyone?

maybe something that doesn't act like It was made in china to spend all our money on?

The shuttle is pretty useless at this point.

There is a good question of what exactly a human piloted space shuttle contributes scientifically.

It is true that some of the space shuttle missions seem to be publicity for NASA, I have read that the unmanned program is actually more useful in terms of gathering data.

I thought they had been trying out different designs for years now, although they think they have found a good one it needs the money to build it, thats if they have not already started

A heck of a lot cheaper as well.
Gerald Bull, the guy who allegedly got "offed" by perhaps the Mossad. He was working on artillery pieces which could hurl satellites into space.
http://www.astronautix.com/lvfam/gunnched.htm
There's a link with some information.
Now, as long as the launch doesn't smash the satellite to bits, this would be a very cheap way to throw stuff into space, wouldn't you say? Perhaps this would be the best way to actually send parts for an international space station where a manned mission in orbit will catch these parts as they enter orbit near them and conduct assembly.

x%2033.gif

The X-33, the last thing I've heard about a replacement. Debuted in 1998.

Last edited by a moderator:
name an astronaut that will get into that! I think it's a good Idea too but it sounds too "human cannon" for many people to accept it.

I meant for unmanned missions.
Obviously a person would be killed by the massive G forces before he even got half way up the tube.

Back