Tiger shoots for fourth straight victory

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/14485441/
Star competes in WGC Bridgestone Invitational after dominating PGA win

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]AKRON, Ohio - Fresh from his five-shot victory at the PGA Championship, Tiger Woods hunts a fourth consecutive PGA Tour title at this week’s WGC-Bridgestone Invitational.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Woods has produced scintillating form over the last two months, tying for second at the Western Open before winning the British Open, the Buick Open and the year’s final major at Medinah in his next three starts.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The world number one will tee off in Thursday’s opening round at Firestone Country Club as overwhelming favorite to claim his fifth title here in seven years.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Suggestions of a possible PGA Championship hangover were dashed by Woods shortly after he clinched the 12th major victory of his career.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]“It’s a challenge for all of us as players,” the 30-year-old American told reporters. “Sometimes you play great one week and you don’t have it the next. Welcome to golf.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]“But I’m going to a place that I’ve had some success at, and I’m looking forward to going to Firestone.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]’It’s a World Golf Championship, another big event, so I’ll start firing back up here probably Wednesday and getting ready.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]For Woods, the prestigious WGC events which bring together the world’s top 100 players are a close second to the majors.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]He has won 10 of them, and almost half that number at Firestone.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]“You’ve got some of the best players in the world playing, and you’re playing one of the greatest golf courses that we play all year,” Woods said of the 7,360-yard, par-70 South Course.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]“It’s a golf course that could host a major if they ever wanted to.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]“This is the old school nature, and we don’t play too many golf courses like that anymore, so when you do have an opportunity, it’s just awfully fun. It gets like a major championship feel to it.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Woods, who has never finished worse than fourth at Firestone, will tee off at 1320 local (1720 GMT) in Thursday’s first round along with compatriot Jason Gore and Ireland’s Paul McGinley.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]While the four-times champion returns to Firestone brimming with confidence, Ernie Els arrives this week desperate for his first tournament victory of the year.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The three-times major winner was sidelined for four months at the end of last year after twisting his knee on a family sailing holiday and has not yet managed to hit top form this season.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]“It’s not like my golf game is off the map but too often recently I’ve not had any momentum going in my rounds,” the popular South African said on his official Web site.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]“That’s why I’ve had a lot of top-10s, top-16s, that kind of result in the last few months, but no wins.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]“It’s just about putting myself in position over the weekend.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Els and Woods are among an elite field of 78 vying for the second WGC title of the year.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Forty-seven of the world’s top 50 are at Firestone, the absentees being Britons Darren Clarke and Colin Montgomerie and Shingo Katayama of Japan.[/FONT]

Back