Thunderbirds Surfing The Skies In Hawaii

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
Honolulu Advertiser
September 14, 2007 By William Cole, Advertiser Military Writer
There were plenty of youngsters on Waikiki Beach for the Air Force Thunderbirds' two practice shows yesterday, but enthusiasm for the zooming and diving jets was demonstrated most by adults.
"That was awesome! Here comes another one," said Marty Smith, 40, of the red, white and blue demonstration jets that were going so fast they would be seen before they were heard.
The Thunderbirds received an overwhelmingly positive reception in Waikiki, tempered by some complaints of noise and two violations of restricted airspace by military and civilian helicopters that were worrisome, officials said, but didn't result in close calls.
Yesterday's shows were a vacation bonus for Smith and his wife, Kim, who are visiting from Iowa, and where Marty Smith is a firefighter in the Iowa Air National Guard. The base he's at has F-16 fighters like those used by the Thunderbirds.
"I stand outside the fire station and watch them every day," Marty Smith said during the morning show. "I've watched them for 10 years and I still can't not watch them fly."
The demonstration put on by the six Thunderbird jets was practically at rooftop level, with the jets flying sometimes just three feet apart. Yesterday was practice for tomorrow's big show at 2:30 p.m., which will showcase 30 combat and other maneuvers.
The ear-piercing and neck-snapping fly-bys were at 9 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. Thousands crowded the Fort DeRussy beachfront, which was near the show center and the spot where the F-16s barreled inland at 450 mph over East Honolulu to make banking turns.
With the expectation of big crowds, Honolulu police and Hawai'i Air National Guard airmen armed with sidearms patrolled the beachside sidewalk.
It was the first time in a decade that the Thunderbirds performed over Waikiki. The acrobatic fighters flew over Hickam Air Force Base in 2003. The performance this year was part of Air Force Week and in celebration of the service's 60th anniversary.
Close to buildings
Al Banas, who lives in town, brought his sons, Alex, 7, and Matthew, 5.
"Have respect for the military. Gotta support the troops," Banas said. "It's a good thing for (my sons) to come out here if they want to go in the military, be a pilot. Good inspiration."
He also decided to come out for the practice session instead of the full-on show tomorrow.
"On the weekend, it'll be crazy," he said. "Do 'em on the weekday. I've been here on a weekend when they had special events. Parking is horrendous."
Banas was the most inspired, though, with his sons — like a lot of other kids — mostly concentrating on playing in the sand.
"It's good," Alex Banas said of the Thunderbirds after thinking about it awhile.
Not everyone was excited about the sound of surf temporarily being overtaken by 27,000 pounds of jet thrust.
The Advertiser received about six phone calls or e-mails from people complaining that the jets were too noisy. Some said they flew too close to buildings in the highly populated area.
Michelle Matson, who lives at Diamond Head, said it was "like the jets were coming right into the house."
"Having the military put on such a spectacular event is I'm sure good for business and the tourist industry and recruiting, but you also have people living here and trying to cope without feeling as if their lives are threatened," Matson said.
John Ing, who lives at 1 Waterfront Towers, said he was unaware the jets would be flying so close to buildings.
"The least they could have done is let people know," he said.
Capt. Kristy Miller, a spokeswoman for Pacific Air Forces at Hickam, said the Air Force did receive a "few complaints."
"But I really think the majority of people who see the show — and obviously there's been thousands — and from (those), just getting a handful of complaints is to be expected," Miller said. "You can't please everybody all the time."
A Marine Corps and a civilian helicopter violated a "temporary flight restriction" area during yesterday morning's practice, Federal Aviation Administration spokesman Ian Gregor said.
Gregor said a Marine Corps CH-53D Sea Stallion "got into the practice area."
"But the T-Bird pilots said they saw the helicopter and had him in sight all the time so there was no near midair collision," Gregor said. Gregor said a civilian helicopter also violated the air space and will be investigated. He was not sure who the helicopter belongs to.
Chuck Little, a Marine Forces Pacific spokesman at Camp Smith, said the Marine incident is being investigated.
"Steps are being taken to ensure there is no repeat of this incident," Little said.
During the shows, arrivals and departures to Honolulu International Airport were suspended, and the restricted flight area extended inland past the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific at Punchbowl.
Doug Carlson, who lives in East Honolulu, saw the big Marine helicopter fly near the Kahala Hotel and up H-1 in an area where the Thunderbirds had flown, and return the same way several minutes later.
'Something to see'
As part of Air Force Week and recruiting efforts, a band played in Fort DeRussy park and blue canopied tents were set up where the Air Force Reserve, Hawai'i Air National Guard, Air Force Academy and ROTC gave away pens, rulers, pins and information.
"It's a beautiful day and we have a ton of interest," said Master Sgt. Kelly Machado, the recruiting office supervisor for the Hawai'i Air Guard.
Machado said the Air Guard has 96 percent to 97 percent of its billets filled, but the service still is recruiting for units, including a new intelligence unit. Most were just happy to see the air show.
Josh Amas, 23, who lives in Waikiki, said he knew yesterday morning's show was just practice for tomorrow's performance, "but it was something to see. It's the real thing, better than the movies."

Back