"Through Hell For Hitler"

Trooper1854

The Brit Pack
Has anyone here read "Through Hell For Hitler" by Henry Metelmann?
It's the memoires of a young German soldier who fought mainly in Russia.
He starts as an keen former Hitler Youth, then you see the transition when his personal contact with the Russians contradicts the NAZI ideology, and he eventualy ends upper as bitter vetran.
It also covers his time as a POW in England and the USA.
I found it a very interesting read.
Worth a look.

I would recommend this book, it's a good read.

Personally I'm a little reticent against the man. I think he's a hypocrite. But that's probably because of my own experience. (and probably also my honor as an officer)

I would recommend this book, it's a good read.

Personally I'm a little reticent against the man. I think he's a hypocrite. But that's probably because of my own experience. (and probably also my honor as an officer)

A man in your position and with your experiences is more than entitled to any opinion on the subject matter.
I saw an interview with this man once, and he did come across very cynical.

Interesting enough, I read several books written by German Officer authors.
One was called Solidat, authored by Siegfried Knappe, another, Stuka Ace by Hans Urlich Rudel, and another written by Herbert A. Werner called Iron Coffins.

The author of Solidat, who ended the war as a major (and part of the general staff, if I'm not mistaken)spent 5 years in a Soviet POW camp and was subjected to all of the propaganda and deprivation that the Soviets had to offer.

Most war historians know how Rudel was shot up and Herbert Werner spent time in a POW camp and went home to utter devastation.

My point is that none of these three writers expressed bitterness and utter futility in their writings though I wouldn't have blamed them a bit had they expressed it.
I wish I could have met each of these men.

I hope Opa Der Alte that you finish your memoirs, I would love to read the book as I am sure others on here would love to do so also.

Last edited:
Interesting enough, I read several books written by German Officer authors.
One was called Solidat, authored by Siegfried Knappe, another, Stuka Ace by Hans Urlich Rudel, and another written by Herbert A. Werner called Iron Coffins.

The author of Solidat, who ended the war as a major (and part of the general staff, if I'm not mistaken)spent 5 years in a Soviet POW camp and was subjected to all of the propaganda and deprivation that the Soviets had to offer.

Most war historians know how Rudel was shot up and Herbert Werner spent time in a POW camp and went home to utter devastation.

My point is that none of these three writers expressed bitterness and utter futility in their writings though I wouldn't have blamed them a bit had they expressed it.
I wish I could have met each of these men.

I am not sure about that I get a certain level of bitterness or perhaps frustration from Erhard Raus's memoirs and von Manstein in my opinion showed a certain level of resigned futility.

I also find it interesting the Rudel has also come in for a bit of criticism for what is described as abandoning his men to the Russians and flying off to surrender to the west.

Back