Threads in this section

Status
Not open for further replies.
As for us foreigners though, the US election is heated, ugly and personal. I think for the most part we should keep our input somewhat limited until it's over. Errol, it's not about violating the rules or whatnot but right now it's best that we kind of step away from this one in terms of the heavy duty posting and digging. Maybe adding a comment or two about an article one of our American members put up is alright but right now this election is real real ugly. I think this is a little thing we can do to try to keep it civil.

That would be true if this was a board dedicated to what Americans think about American politics but it isn't it is an international board about politics.

Also whats this "We foreigners"?

Last edited:
Sometimes it's about levelling the playing field when some posters get over the top.

Personally I couldn't give toss for either party. I don't know the candidates and I don't know their policies, but I do dislike one eyed barrackers (no pun intended).

A one sided debate, is no debate at all. Unfortunately some people think that if no one opposes them, they've got it all sewn up, and I don't believe that politics is that straight forward,... in any country.

Sometimes it's about levelling the playing field when some posters get over the top.

Personally I couldn't give toss for either party. I don't know the candidates and I don't know their policies, but I do dislike one eyed barrackers (no pun intended).

A one sided debate, is no debate at all. Unfortunately some people think that if no one opposes them, they've got it all sewn up, and I don't believe that politics is that straight forward,... in any country.

I agree with Spike. If we can't have an even discussion on American politics here because some people here have very thin skins about their political leanings (then they run away to tittle tattle to the mods), maybe just ban threads on the US election as of now.

No one has been personally attack as far as I know. I think some guys are showing how soft they are when they are confronted with an opposing view. It's an international forum for crikeys sake.

I'm with Spike. I don't really care who wins the election, as long as they have responsible and forward thinking policies. Particularly on climate change and in fixing the US financial system which is in a terrible mess at the moment, and may drag everyone down with it.

It's almost like me trying to comment on John Howard and his politics. I would be pissing into the wind on that one.

It's almost like me trying to comment on John Howard and his politics. I would be pissing into the wind on that one.
But you should have the freedom to state your case, right, wrong or indifferent.

In fact a number of forum members here made statements on our last elections. I couldn't argue with any of them, as with world news being what it is, none of them were too far off the mark.

John Howard was a hard one for me, I am generally a Labor voter, but they had policies I wasn't very keen on and JH had stepped up when Timor became a problem. One thing swung my vote, his Industrial Relations law. It was straight out of the Dark ages, and set wage earners back 80 years. Never the less I didn't "hate' the man, well,... no more than the rest of the them. Liberal and Labor.

maybe just ban threads on the US election as of now.
I wouldn't like to see that, after all there is room for a healthy debate and reporting of the latest developments, Y'never know we all might learn something,.... so long as we're willing to keep an open mind.

Last edited:
And THAT'S what we can't seem to understand. Hahaha. As soon as one goes, we post another one asking about why it was closed. Haha.
Well with most threads, you will agree, it's pretty obvious as to why they are closed. To these last couple it's really not obvious.
I must admit, I was amazed, in view of some of the stuff that has been posted recently. I though perhaps something had been posted and removed that I never saw.
No, I didn't see anything incriminating about them during the brief span that they were open.
(1)"under review" means in most cases that we're (the staff) are discussing what to do about the whole thread or one or more posts in that thread, and as Top also said, opening one or more threads about the exact same thing as the one under review isn't a very good idea.. :smil:
(2)And no, we do NOT censor anything, as long as the thread/posts stays within the forum rules...
(and as far as I can see we don't have many locked threads in this section at all??)

(3)And I'm REALLY looking forward to the end of November by the way.. :p
1-I have reported posts in threads before, sometimes multiple posts in the same thread, and the thread was almost never locked unless it was permanent.
2-I agree, Redleg does a great job at being bipartisan and not censoring anything.
3-Can't blame you there. :roll:
OK, if you don't want me to say anything more about the election, I'll stick to the history forums.
Stay here. It'll only make those who reported you for evening the playing field in the first place even angrier :)
As for us foreigners though, the US election is heated, ugly and personal. I think for the most part we should keep our input somewhat limited until it's over. Errol, it's not about violating the rules or whatnot but right now it's best that we kind of step away from this one in terms of the heavy duty posting and digging. Maybe adding a comment or two about an article one of our American members put up is alright but right now this election is real real ugly. I think this is a little thing we can do to try to keep it civil.
He's keeping it civil. International members' input in its fullest form is certainly welcome here. After all, this thread ISN'T based in the US. I've made plenty of in depth comments about political affairs in Britain. Heck, 5.56 posts a new thread about something bad happening in Britain once a week. Don't tell me he doesn't dig for those.
Because it's their election.
Don't tell me it doesn't affect the rest of the world.
(1)I agree with Spike. If we can't have an even discussion on American politics here because some people here have very thin skins about their political leanings (then they run away to tittle tattle to the mods), maybe just ban threads on the US election as of now.

(2)No one has been personally attack as far as I know. I think some guys are showing how soft they are when they are confronted with an opposing view. It's an international forum for crikeys sake.

I'm with Spike. I don't really care who wins the election, as long as they have responsible and forward thinking policies. Particularly on climate change and in fixing the US financial system which is in a terrible mess at the moment, and may drag everyone down with it.
1-Not quite the answer, but certainly a thought.
2-Exactly.

I admit that I've gotten less choosy with what I report. However, there have been a number of posts that I've come across that are blatantly off topic and are essentially the political equivalent of a Chevy ad. I reported them, and (for the most part) they were dealt with promptly.

For fear of my hide, I won't say completely what I'm thinking. However, I will say that I have no problem with the way Redleg is running the forum.

Redleg is gold. No doubt about that! Unfortunately he can't moderate 24 hours per day.

I genuinely agree with you guys that the debate here about the US election must stay, as long as there is no personal abuse. I have observed good behaviour and the comments have been quite mild.

My observation is that there are some on this forum who find it very difficult (and threatened) when they feel they are losing control of the discussions.

As for discussing Autralian politics, yes I'm a Labor voter too like Spike and if anyone wishes to be politically critical of Kevin Rudd (our PM now) they can go for it.

Nor does there need to be any common ground, it is clear that we all have differing points of view and long may it remain so.

All people are asking for is some level of maturity in posting as pointed out in the two suggestions threads it is not what people post that starts fights but how it is posted.

This message is not related to the last post. There has been a strong hint of boot-licking on parade on this thread.

Suck up to the big boss, slag off and attempt to undermine everyone else, and the system.

'Oh no boss - not you boss- you are great boss - it's the others boss - I understand you boss - you are certainly the man boss - shakin' it here boss.'

C'mon, big talkers and wannabies - git off your horses and drink your milk.

Last edited:
So have we had our little dummy* spit? *Americans read "Pacifier"

For my part, (however it may have been interpreted by you). I apologise that TI questioned a decision that would have suited your needs down to the ground. And I also apologise that upon review the decision was overturned breaking your little heart, but that is something you must take up with the Moderators or Redleg rather than casting aspersions at all and sundry and generally throwing a little temper tantrum.

When Redleg or a Moderator addresses me directly, or makes a comment about one of my posts, I answer in a manner befitting their position, unless of course you would prefer to take it up with them yourself in your own "manly" way?

Go on,... take cheap shot at one of the Mod's big man, I just can't wait.:roll:

This message is not related to the last post. There has been a strong hint of boot-licking on parade on this thread.

Suck up to the big boss, slag off and attempt to undermine everyone else, and the system.

'Oh no boss - not you boss- you are great boss - it's the others boss - I understand you boss - you are certainly the man boss - shakin' it here boss.'

C'mon, big talkers and wannabies - git off your horses and drink your milk.

Last edited:
I think someone has had too much "Red Bull". The "bull" part of it is coming to the surface everywhere.

And dead right, Redneck, it IS his forum.

So have we had our little dummy* spit? *Americans read "Pacifier"

For my part, (however it may have been interpreted by you). I apologise that TI questioned a decision that would have suited your needs down to the ground. And I also apologise that upon review the decision was overturned breaking your little heart, but that is something you must take up with the Moderators or Redleg rather than casting aspersions at all and sundry and generally throwing a little temper tantrum.

When Redleg or a Moderator addresses me directly, or makes a comment about one of my posts, I answer in a manner befitting their position, unless of course you would prefer to take it up with them yourself in your own "manly" way?

Go on,... take cheap shot at one of the Mod's big man, I just can't wait.:roll:

Oh dear, that last line - do I detect more boot-licking? Do I detect a friction instigation. That's what I call a cheap shot. I never take cheap shots, and if you refer to the original post, I have no argument with that at all .

But Hey - hey WOW!:p First, you are talking complete rot. I know nothing of the incident that TI refers to, or the views it expressed, or however that fell. I do not know and I have no interest particularly; I go along with how the rules fall, whether in my interest or not. Unlike some here, I never whinge. I am sure that if TI raised a point, it would be worthy of respect as always, but I did not refer to the thread involved; I was not concerned in it.

Secondly, I did not refer to it all, only made the point that it amuses me to see big self appointed straight talkers, the loud 'no BS' men, sucking up to the boss at the expense of the mods. Remember creeping round the boss for advantage? What was the old description 'A pair of boots sticking out of .................

Thirdly, I mentioned no names - why on earth have you jumped on the shovel? That is a rhetorical question.

All I can suggest is that if the cap fits, feel free to wear it.:wink:

For myself, I remain perfectly satisfied, Nay, very impressed, nay further, perfectly happy, with the performance of Rdleg and his Mods. No complaints whatsoever.

So wrong yet again old chap - I'm not concerned with the particular issue, and the redfaced temper trantrum is, in fact, all yours. Smile- you are on camera.

Last edited:
Hey - hey WOW!:p First, you are talking complete rot. I know nothing of the incident that TI refers to, or the views it expressed, or however that fell.
Well if you wish to make a credible comment on a thread, you should first read what is going on, before you jump in and post crap, that is often as not why I comment on your less well thought posts. I certainly don't ask for an invitation
Unlike some here, I never whinge.
Like the time you received an infraction and was about to commit public hari kiri, until others here talked you out of it? Yes,... I remember your cool and lucid handling of the matter quite well. as no doubt do many others.
OK - here's a political entry from me.
I appear to be the only person displaying an infraction on my profile.
I understand that I should not be the only person in this position.
I would never support any form of deceit or disregard of truth.
So it's good bye and good-night nurse from me.
Hmmmm.........
Secondly, I did not refer to it all, only made the point that it amuses me to see big self appointed straight talkers, the loud 'no BS' men, sucking up to the boss at the expense of the mods. Remember creeping round the boss for advantage? What was the old description 'A pair of boots sticking out of .................
Redleg addressed me directly, which you would have been aware of if you had taken the time to read the preceeding posts, what would you recommend I do? Tell him where to stick it?.... Wake up to yourself, you're fooling no one but yourself.
Indeed I do , in fact ,Redleg. You can't imagine what a fool I feel. Just too damn self-righteous for my own good sometimes.
I don't seem to recollect my slagging you for your efforts in this regard, even after having made a "goog" of yourself

Thirdly, I mentioned no names - why on earth have you jumped on the shovel? That is a rhetorical question.

All I can suggest is that if the cap fits, feel free to wear it.:wink:
I don't have to answer it as it is in my answer above.:wink::wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back