Thoughts on the Russo-Ukranian War?

The Russian aim has been a bit iffy during this war. getting North Korean stuff may increase the risk for the Russians to miss Ukraine and hit the neighboring countries.

China isn't the good allied after all if the Russians are buying things from NK instead.

I think this would be a good time for Poland and the Baltic States to hold war games of their own in North Eastern Poland, I also think made now is the time for the EU to give a not so subtle message to Belarus that this is a war between Russia and Ukraine and it should stay that way, as I understand it the EU does have a mutual defense component of its charter.

Last edited:
The Russian aim has been a bit iffy during this war. getting North Korean stuff may increase the risk for the Russians to miss Ukraine and hit the neighboring countries.

China isn't the good allied after all if the Russians are buying things from NK instead.

Seems like there are some serious problems developing in the east...
https://m.independent.ie/world-news...nds-of-losses-in-kharkiv-region-41977664.html
If the Russians lose Kupiansk much of their eastern force is effectively cut off, I had thought Izium may have been a possibility but they seem to be aiming at a much bigger prize.

If it is accurate and it seems it could be given its verification from Russian sources Kherson may not have been the target.

Last edited:
Seems like there are some serious problems developing in the east...
https://m.independent.ie/world-news...nds-of-losses-in-kharkiv-region-41977664.html
If the Russians lose Kupiansk much of their eastern force is effectively cut off, I had thought Izium may have been a possibility but they seem to be aiming at a much bigger prize.

If it is accurate and it seems it could be given its verification from Russian sources Kherson may not have been the target.

I think we have talked about the north a few times in regard of being the main target for the Ukrainian counteroffensive. The Kherson attacks are a diversion to make the Russians to deploy forces from other sectors.

Another aspect of the war is the energy. There are signs some European countries begin to questioning and protesting the sanctions, but the Europeans are paying for their own stupidity when they have made themselves dependent on Russia for their own energy.

I think we have talked about the north a few times in regard of being the main target for the Ukrainian counteroffensive. The Kherson attacks are a diversion to make the Russians to deploy forces from other sectors.

Another aspect of the war is the energy. There are signs some European countries begin to questioning and protesting the sanctions, but the Europeans are paying for their own stupidity when they have made themselves dependent on Russia for their own energy.

Don't get me wrong Izium and Kupiansk are important targets, militarily more so than Kherson as they are logistics and supply hubs for the entire east but the importance of Odessa to Ukraine's survival as a viable state makes the removal of Russian forces north of the dnieper a far greater priority in my opinion.

What should scare the Russian populace most is that the Russian command appears to have missed something that was so obvious that a couple of plonkers on a forum could see. :)

There is no doubt that the next winter will be a problem in Europe but beyond that Russia's hold on the energy pipelines will be worthless to them, the Russians don't seem to realise that no matter what the outcome of the military phase of the war is there economy will suffer for decades to come.

What will Russia have to offer the world 2 years from now?
- Its brightest have already buggered off to work in Europe.
- Its arms industry has been exposed as both reliant on the west for quality items and producing poor quality equipment (conscripts from Syria, drones from Iran, ammunition from North Korea and begging the Chinese for tyres and food)
- Both its oil and gas industry will be more or less redundant to anyone but third-world nations and China who only buy at prices so discounted the Russians may as well be paying them to take it.

Putin has royally rooted their future, and Ukraine is not far off tossing them out militarily.

- Its arms industry has been exposed as both reliant on the west for quality items and producing poor quality equipment (conscripts from Syria, drones from Iran, ammunition from North Korea and begging the Chinese for tyres and food)
Amazing, isn't it! A total cluster.

Amazing, isn't it! A total cluster.

Yes the question is how long before the Russians themselves kick him for touch, it appears that there have been a few requests for him to step down already and surely they can't all fall out of 10 story windows or come down with mysterious illnesses.

Another series of questions:
What does Ukraine do now, press the advantage and try to push into Luhansk while the Russians are in chaos or stop along defensible lines and consolidate their gains as the weather turns to crap.

What does Russia do, look for a way out or up the ante and mobilize its forces through the bad months.

Last edited:
What should scare the Russian populace most is that the Russian command appears to have missed something that was so obvious that a couple of plonkers on a forum could see. :)

There is no doubt that the next winter will be a problem in Europe but beyond that Russia's hold on the energy pipelines will be worthless to them, the Russians don't seem to realise that no matter what the outcome of the military phase of the war is there economy will suffer for decades to come.

What will Russia have to offer the world 2 years from now?
- Its brightest have already buggered off to work in Europe.
- Both its oil and gas industry will be more or less redundant to anyone but third-world nations and China who only buy at prices so discounted the Russians may as well be paying them to take it.

Putin has royally rooted their future, and Ukraine is not far off tossing them out militarily.

Haha, we are better than the Russian commanders.

Yes the question is how long before the Russians themselves kick him for touch, it appears that there have been a few requests for him to step down already and surely they can't all fall out of 10 story windows or come down with mysterious illnesses.

Another series of questions:
What does Ukraine do now, press the advantage and try to push into Luhansk while the Russians are in chaos or stop along defensible lines and consolidate their gains as the weather turns to crap.

What does Russia do, look for a way out or up the ante and mobilize its forces through the bad months.

I think it goes both way. If the Ukrainians push on depends more on how the Russians respond to it. It can be bad if the Ukrainians stop and letting the Russians to recover from the Ukrainian attack.

I think it goes both way. If the Ukrainians push on depends more on how the Russians respond to it. It can be bad if the Ukrainians stop and letting the Russians to recover from the Ukrainian attack.

True but Ukrainian supply lines must be stretched at this point and the Russians have the advantage of being able to withdraw to safety across the border reequip and back they come so Ukraine also needs to prepare defensive lines to protect what it has taken.

The one thing Ukraine does have is a road map for success, basically, dig in and let the artillery do its work on Russian supply lines and bases before attacking.

True but Ukrainian supply lines must be stretched at this point and the Russians have the advantage of being able to withdraw to safety across the border reequip and back they come so Ukraine also needs to prepare defensive lines to protect what it has taken.

The one thing Ukraine does have is a road map for success, basically, dig in and let the artillery do its work on Russian supply lines and bases before attacking.

Yes, they got some logistical problems during the offensive, but that is expected. They solved them pretty fast. I think the river crossing can cause problems for the Ukrainians, but I think if the conditions are right to push on, but that depends on what the Russians are doing. Maybe they can launch another attack north of Crimea or against Maripol.

Yes, they got some logistical problems during the offensive, but that is expected. They solved them pretty fast. I think the river crossing can cause problems for the Ukrainians, but I think if the conditions are right to push on, but that depends on what the Russians are doing. Maybe they can launch another attack north of Crimea or against Maripol.

I am a little more conservative on this one and think they need to be careful not to over extend themselves, they now have a natural barrier along the Donets - Oskill river, they have nullified the rail links from Belgorod forcing a massive logistical problem for Russia and only have a few weeks before Autumn weather makes any manoeuvre difficult at best.
Any advance to the east is into the Luhansk region that has been in rebellion for 8 years it can't be considered friendly territory.

Personally, unless there are obvious and defensible gains to be made there is little point in pushing into the north east, perhaps central regions offer some gains around Lyman I don't know but I think at this stage discretion is smarter than valour.

On a positive note it seems Ukrainian special forces are back in action...
https://www.19fortyfive.com/2022/09...e-stealing-russias-tanks-with-their-tractors/

;)

Last edited:
I am a little more conservative on this one and think they need to be careful not to over extend themselves, they now have a natural barrier along the Donets - Oskill river, they have nullified the rail links from Belgorod forcing a massive logistical problem for Russia and only have a few weeks before Autumn weather makes any manoeuvre difficult at best.
Any advance to the east is into the Luhansk region that has been in rebellion for 8 years it can't be considered friendly territory.

Personally, unless there are obvious and defensible gains to be made there is little point in pushing into the north east, perhaps central regions offer some gains around Lyman I don't know but I think at this stage discretion is smarter than valour.

On a positive note it seems Ukrainian special forces are back in action...
https://www.19fortyfive.com/2022/09...e-stealing-russias-tanks-with-their-tractors/

;)

I can see another problem. The Ukrainians are pretty close to the Russian border and if the Ukrainians begin to hit Russian supply lines on the Russian side of the border with HIMARS or MLRS systems. How will the Russians react to it?

I'm pleased to see the elite tractors back in the action. I was concerned about them for while. But I guess they were resting and regrouping

I can see another problem. The Ukrainians are pretty close to the Russian border and if the Ukrainians begin to hit Russian supply lines on the Russian side of the border with HIMARS or MLRS systems. How will the Russians react to it?

I'm pleased to see the elite tractors back in the action. I was concerned about them for while. But I guess they were resting and regrouping

Should it matter?
Russia started this mess and they have not held back from attacking Ukraine from both Russia and Belarus, I am comfortable with Ukraine responding to attacks, troop movements and supply depot's within range of their guns.

Back