Thoughts on the Russo-Ukranian War?

Yep, the counter attacks around Kherson is a diversion, an Ukrainian version of "Operation Fortitude" that force the Russian to deploy forces to the south. The Ukrainians army is quite successful in the north and has pushed the Russian forces back a few clicks.

We are getting good at this.
;)
We have Putin having his mental meltdown, the Chinese throwing a temper tantrum and Israel not wanting to miss out on shelling some stone throwers

It is truly a golden age for armchair generals.

:)

We are getting good at this.
;)
We have Putin having his mental meltdown, the Chinese throwing a temper tantrum and Israel not wanting to miss out on shelling some stone throwers

It is truly a golden age for armchair generals.

Haha. Yes, we are the experts

Haha. Yes, we are the experts

I still can't make sense of this war, the Russians seem completely inept but I also struggle to figure out the Ukrainian plan, they seem to have a fixation with the north when having the Russians on the north side of the Dniper seems the far greater threat.

Olga Kachura 52 1st Russian female Colonel killed in the war. The witch sounds like a Bond villan. https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/worl...sedgntp&cvid=98a47360c1f04a038e96a3a5c0941f4c

So the motto is "never bring a snipers rifle to an artillery barage", personally I find it hard to have sympathy she played the game and lost.

On a more positive note it seems not all Russian tanks "pop their tops" some just go boom...

https://en.defence-ua.com/weapon_an...s_captured_by_ukrainian_drone_video-3795.html

I still can't make sense of this war, the Russians seem completely inept but I also struggle to figure out the Ukrainian plan, they seem to have a fixation with the north when having the Russians on the north side of the Dniper seems the far greater threat.

I view this war in phases. The Ukrainians were able to stall the Russian offensive, especially in the north. The Ukrainian army was even able to push the back. The war shifted to the east and turned into a war of attrition with artillery duels. The Russian offensive was and still is very slow. But the Ukrainians knew it cannot win a war of attrition so they are trying to force the Russians to deploy forces to the south to prevent an Ukrainian offensive/attack. But why telling the entire world about to launch an offensive? That's why I don't believe it is an offensive, it is a diversion to force the Russian to deploy forces from the Donbas to the south. The Ukrainian army has pushed the Russian back further in the northern sector so I believe the Ukrainian will attack in the north around the city of Izyum.

The way those aircraft are parked is asking for them to be destroyed.. They should be dispersed around the airfield

Some interesting before and after photos...

https://www.rferl.org/a/saky-air-ba...ia-war-ukraine-satellite-images/31981713.html

There are also reports of explosions at an air base in Belarus that is being used by the Russians, I really doubt Ukraine would risk dragging Belarus into this war so I am wondering about Russian false flags.

https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2022/08/11/7362754/

Maybe a BBQ with a lot of vodka went south (joking)

A Russian drunk on aviation fuel wouldn't be hard to believe given the number of blind Russian fisherman our rescue services are called out to after they have consumed the methanol in the boats compasses.

A Russian drunk on aviation fuel wouldn't be hard to believe given the number of blind Russian fisherman our rescue services are called out to after they have consumed the methanol in the boats compasses.

Having worked with aviation fuel in the RAF on Avtur, Avtag and Avgas, I can think of better things to drink, even Tiger beer!

Last edited:
The way those aircraft are parked is asking for them to be destroyed.. They should be dispersed around the airfield

I am not surprised, considering how the Russian forces road discipline looks like.

What can caused the damage at the Russian air base?

Missiles? Ukraine isn't supposed to have missiles that can reach the air base, but the Ukrainians probably do have missiles that can reach the base.

Drones? The air base was most likely attacked by armed drones

A special operation? Ukraine has Special Forces and they can have attacked the air base with drones or other weapons.

I guess they used drones when they have attacked ships with drones

I am not surprised, considering how the Russian forces road discipline looks like.

What can caused the damage at the Russian air base?

Missiles? Ukraine isn't supposed to have missiles that can reach the air base, but the Ukrainians probably do have missiles that can reach the base.

Drones? The air base was most likely attacked by armed drones

A special operation? Ukraine has Special Forces and they can have attacked the air base with drones or other weapons.

I guess they used drones when they have attacked ships with drones

If I was a betting man I would pick Harpoon missiles:
The distance from Odessa to Saki is roughly 270km.
Ukraine has the Danish RGM-84L-4 Harpoon Block II with a range of 300km.

To quote Shakespeare "me thinks Danish missiles make Russian airfields go boom", ok it was Harold Shakespeare the local barber.

Last edited:
Here is an interesting breakdown of the Crimean air base attack...

Saky Airbase

It does shoot down my idea of them using Harpoon missiles, however, there is a good comment from a retired USAF photo interpreter who thinks it was four missiles.

Last edited:
There is a psychological effect of the Russian air base go boom. The People in the Crimea might begin to questioning the Russian war effort when maybe other things go boom as well. I have said it before and i say it again. I want the bridge between Crimea and Russia to go boom.

Back