Thoughts on Field Artillery

13 Bravo

I served in the AZ ARNG '82-'90 In a 155 BN (M-109A2/3) I would like to hear any and all comments or thoughts about the Field Artillery before, during, or since this time period:avi:

I was in a parallel universe about that time. I served in the Royal Australian Artillery as an Arty Section Commander (Lieutenant.. half battery) and FOO. I was in 2/15 Fld Regt (109s) and 10 Medium Regt (155s). ;-)

I can give all sorts of insight into the US arsenal at least. I've been a Redleg as enlisted, NCO, and now Officer holding almost every concievable position from number one cannoneer section chief to platoon leader to Battalion Fire Support Officer for over a decade now. Just what would you like to know?

What is involved in a "gunners error" of 32 degrees resulting in five rounds on 155mm HE landing inside a friendly perimeter st a range of 3 Ks?

This happened at my camp in 1969.

Did a lot of damage and injuries. We only got the above info regarding the error.

Was it 5 rounds simultaneously or 5 rounds in succession? A 32 degree error is about a 566 mil error! That's huge. If 5 rounds impacted at the same time I'd say that whatever element fired was not layed properly onto an aiming reference. If it was 5 successive rounds that means the gunner likely put in the wrong number in the azimuth counter scale OR wasn't laid onto an aiming reference properly.

If they were only 3 klicks out, the discrepency would have been VERY noticable on the gunline. The only way it would not have been is if the Firebase had just a few guns at the apexes of the base and only one tube was responding to the fire mission.

Of course, the observer could have given a bad grid (usually either off by one grid square or called on their own position because they lost track of which grid they were using)

Whoever called it made it a fire for effect mission. Otherwise, the damage could have been nullified with the adjusting rounds where only 1 round would have impacted where it wasn't supposed to...instead of 5.

I would imagine these were the most likely scenerious for this type of mistake to happen.

We had similar. 105 battery laid on an FPF according to fireplan were inadvertently moved by some douce to put up cam netting. 5 rounds fire for effect landed several kms out of area. Luckily no one hurt!

Back