For those of Colorguard... - Page 2

--

March 1st, 2005  
Damien

Depends on the branch.

Navy and Army JROTC's in our area have their right hand in a 45 degree angle down from the colors.

Air Force JROTC's here have it parallel to the ground.

That's all I know on this subject.
March 2nd, 2005  
cullion

By 75 degrees, I did not mean the dipping of the flag, I meant the angle of the right hand-elbow. We don't quite bring it 90 degrees, but it's not 45. By dipping the flag, never heard of it except at Carry, I'm not sure how that could be.

When presenting any flag during the playing of the natonal anthem or at Present, every other flag besides the US flag is dipped 45 degrees. Same for eyes right.

A note on presents, many schools don't seem to know this: According to the Marine Corps Drill and Ceremonies Manual (Navy and Marine JROTC standard operating manual), on the prepatory Present from Order, the National flag is brought to Carry and the hand is cut, when finished, the command of execution, Colors, everyone else moves. Just a note. (Per List of Significant Changes to the Marine Corps Drill and Ceremonies Manual as of 2003.)
March 20th, 2005  
cullion

Hah. Doesn't matter anymores!

We won First Place New Cadet Colorguard, and our score was higher than the 1st Place Varsity, so, we probably could've won that if we entered with the same people. Bwahaha.
--
March 20th, 2005  
alliehz

Kudos! That's awesome.
March 25th, 2005  
silent driller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cullion
Interesting, Gorfour20. Some of the colorguards at competition do the 90 degree parallel thing. Ours doesn't. We use more like 75 degrees, ish. But, thanks for the help.
I think 90 degrees looks absolutely ridiculous(parallel AND perpendicular). It makes your arm stand out like a sore thumb. Did I mention that it looks absolutely ridiculous? I like a natural angle. Whatever the flagmen are comfortable with and whatever looks the same. It's just more graceful.