Thorpe says India win not crucial

SwordFish_13

Hi,

Source:BBC News

Graham Thorpe believes England have a good chance of retaining the Ashes even if they struggle in India next month.

"Whatever happens in India, if it doesn't go well it wouldn't be the end of the world," he told BBC Five Live.

"The enthusiasm that went on last summer will carry though to next winter, quite easily.

"At the moment I would put my neck out and say England have a very good chance of retaining the Ashes but a year is a long time for both sides."

England have a packed year ahead as they depart for India on 12 February, returning for home series against Sri Lanka and Pakistan then playing the ICC Champions Trophy in India before the Ashes begin in November.

o.gif
end_quote.gif
In a year or 18 months' time they will lost four or five players but I'm sure they want one last crack at trying to get the Ashes back
end_quote.gif

--Graham Thorpe

Thorpe believes India will provide a bigger challenge for his former team-mates than Pakistan, where a batting collapse in Multan was key to a 2-0 series defeat.

"If they'd won the first Test match in Pakistan that series could have come out differently for England.

"But it's probably going to be even harder in India - if England could even draw the series it would be a great effort."

Batsman Thorpe missed the Ashes after announcing he would be taking up a coaching role in Sydney, and he began his new job two weeks ago.

"I'm interested in doing a few other things as well but it's a good opportunity to throw my knowledge back into the game while it's still fresh and see what comes of it," he said.

The job has also given him a chance to observe Australia's run of six Test wins and a draw as they rebuild the side in the wake of the 2-1 Ashes defeat in England.

"Mike Hussey has had a great start to his Test career and really impressed - he's scoring heavily and rebuilding innings as well. Brad Hodge scored 200 in a Test match," said Thorpe.

"In a year or 18 months' time they will lost four or five players but I'm sure they want one last crack at trying to get the Ashes back.

"In the seam department England hold the edge a little bit but in the spin department Australia do.

"Next winter's a huge series. You can already, in many ways, feel it building up."

If people are going to Come to the Sub-Continent With this Kind of a Mental Block ........... I don't think they have much of a Chance of Winning :sarc:.

They Think they are not Going to Win and are Playing For a Draw to begin with ........... What has Happned to English Cricket team .:crybaby:

Peace
-=SF_13=-

Last edited:
Back