Thinking of trying out to be a gun writer... what do you think?

5.56X45mm

Milforum Mac Daddy
Image15.jpg

The Smith & Wesson Model 10

When I think about a four inch service size .38 caliber revolver the first thing that pops into my head is the ubiquitous Smith & Wesson Model 10 Revolver. Since 1899, this revolver has been "The .38 Caliber Revolver". There have been numorus generations that have relied on this revolver for self protection, putting meat on the table, go after the criminals of society, and fighting for our nation's freedom.

Through it's history it has gone through some changes. But even through those changes it's ancestry is still visible in it's sleek lines and rock solid frame. The Model 10 was born as the chambered in the then new fast .38 S&W Special Cartridge. which in of itself was a new design and elongation of the .38 Long Colt. It had a bullet weight of 158 Grains and was loaded with 21 Grains of Black Powder.

A number of the first production run of these new revolvers were in .38 Long Colt for Government Contract. Serial numbers ranged from number 1 in the series to 20,975 at which point (1902), the model underwent substantial changes. Changes include major modification and simplification of the internal lockwork and addition of a barrel- mounted locking lug to engage the here-to-fore free standing ejector rod. The 4th change of April 20, 1915 had enlarged service sights that quickly became a standard across the service revolver segment of the industry. Heat treating of cylinders began in 1919.

One other change was the name from Smith & Wesson .38 Hand Ejector Model to the Smith & Wesson Military & Police Model.

M%26P1899.JPG

These revolvers saw action with our brave soldiers, sailors, marine, and airmen during the conflicts of the early 1900s. The Boxer Rebellion, The Punitive Expedition, And the Great War... or as it would later be know as World War I. It also saw extensive service and popularity as a police sidearm and stayed as one until the mid 1980s.

During World War II... our nation was caught with our pants down and so Smith & Wesson once again geared up production to help our boys in the fight. But even before we got into the fight. Smith & Wesson did. The British following the Evacuation from Dunkirk needed arms and needed them ASAP. So they turned to the United States and Smith & Wesson.

The Revolver that would help fight for freedom against the threats of German and Japanese Aggression was rebranded the Smith & Wesson Model Victory. From 1940 to 1945. All Smith & Wesson Revolvers were made with serial numbers with a "V" prefix. Over 570,000 were made; of these pistols, a large majority were chambered in the .38/200 caliber already in use in the Enfield No 2 Mk I Revolver and the Webley Mk IV Revolver, were supplied to the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa under the Lend-Lease program during WWII.

The S&W Victory was also in service with US forces during WWII, chambered in the well-known and popular .38 Special cartridge. Some of these revolvers remained in service well into the 1990s with units of the US Military and US Coast Guard. Some Lend-Lease S&W Victory revolvers originally chambered for the British .38/200 have been returned to the U.S. and rechambered to fire the more-popular and more-powerful .38 Special ammunition, and such revolvers should be so marked on their barrels. Rechambering .38-200 cylinders to .38 Special results in oversize chambers with accompanying problems.

The finish on Victory Models is typically a sandblasted and parkerized finish, which is noticeably different from the quality blue or nickel/chrome finishes usually found on commercial M&P/Model 10 revolvers. The other visually distinguishing feature of Victory Model revolvers is the lanyard loop at the bottom of the grip.

U.S.%20N6.jpg

After World War II ended, Smith and Wesson returned to manufacturing the M&P series. Along with cosmetic changes and replacement of the frame fitting grip with the Magna stocks,the spring-loaded hammer block safety gave way to a cam-actuated hammer block that rode in a channel in the side plate. In 1957, Smith and Wesson began a convention of using numeric designations to distinguish their various models of handguns. The M&P became the Model 10. The M&P and later the Model 10 have been available in both blue steel finish and nickel finish throughout the years. The model has also been available throughout the years with both the round butt (i.e. grip) and square butt.

As its name suggests, the S&W Military & Police revolver was developed for military and police use, and in this regard it was enormously successful, with the Model 10 still being in production today. The Model 10 has also enjoyed popularity with civilian shooters in countries that allow private ownership of handguns.

TwinModel10-5s.jpg

The S&W Model 10 was widely exported, and many had become the personal handguns of many famous politicians world wide. Two of such examples can be found in China. During the first stage of Chinese Civil War, the Chinese communist leader Liu Shaoqi had a S&W Model 10 as his personal handgun, while another famous Chinese communist commander Chen Geng also carried a S&W Model 10 during this era. The Chinese field marshal Chen Yi also used a S&W Model 10 for his personal side arm during the Chinese Civil War. All three revolvers are currently kept at the Revolutionary Military Museum in Beijing, and with age of almost a century, all three S&W Model 10 revolvers are still in perfect, working condition. Hermann Goering also owned a Smith and Wesson Military and Police, a Model K. It was bought before the war from a Hamburg gun dealer. He was wearing it when he was taken into custody by Seventh Army soldiers. It is currently on display at the United States Military Academy's Museum of Armaments at West Point, New York. It was purportedly the revolver of choice for action shooter Ed McGivern.

As for my own personal experience with the Smith & Wesson Model 10. All of it was and still is positive. From the 25 yard line I in no way have any issues hitting my mark. Recoil is non-existent and the trigger is smooth as silk. Carrying the Model 10 reminds you of what you have. It's not heavy but it's not light. It's just right. I've shot the basic four inch service model to the best in my opinion. A 1948 production six inch K-38 MasterPiece. Which later became known as the Smith & Wesson Mode; 14.

Even the current production guns with the built in safety lock shot great. And whet's even better is that you can still find a good condition Model 10 on your local used counter at your local gun store for a cheap price.

So in the end.... if you ever want to have the all around best .38 Caliber Revolver. Get a Smith & Wesson Model 10. Because if you won't you'll regret it.

Last edited:
Rich in historical details, and I like that, but in the firearms mags I read they usually delve a lot deeper into the technical side and have a comprehensive range report.

Obviously that's not necessary here, so yeah, I'd say you definitely have what it takes to be a professional gun writer.

Some small deals with choice of punctuation but if the rest of the book was like that, it'd be one of the better books on firearms I would have read.
Let me get a bit settled and I might have time to help you do some preliminary editing.
If it gets published I'll be sure to buy a copy.

Back