Thinking of a military career.

hawky94

The Brit Pack (probationer)
Hey all!

As you know, I write... and the military is something that I have a great interest in. But am unsure as to whether it's something I'd like to pursue as a career.

I am originally from England, and am currently still a British citizen, even though I live in Canada. Due to my "Landed Immigrant" status, I can't apply for a Social Insurance Number in Canada, and this stops me from working, or joining the military (not to mention my lack of Canadian citizenship).

Anyway, I'm unsure as to whether I'll be staying in Canada (as I graduate from high school in June.), but if I do, I might join the military, seen as I have no idea what I want to do with my life, and feel as though the military is something that would be good for me.

But, I could also go home and join the British military.

I should add that I have two medical conditions which may cause problems. I wear glasses, and have a lazy eye and nowhere near perfect vision. I also have a bicuspid aortic valve. These two things could potentially be a hurdle...

I do keep fit, although I'm not the fittest that I could be, I'm relatively small in stature, as a friend once said "Five foot f*ck all). I'm about 5'7, I think.

So, I'd like some guidance, tips on what to do pre-enlistment (keeping healthy, etc).

Thanks, hawky.

Well, it has never given me a problem in all physical activity that I've done, nor has it affected me at any point in my life.

Although, I realise that playing basketball, football (soccer) and doing beep tests, running, biking, etc... are nothing compared to combat/operational fitness requirements.

I'll definitely check that out with a recruiter when/if I do decide to join.

When I first joined in 2004, landed immigrants were able to join the Primary Reserves as Non-Commissioned Members, but I'm not sure if this is still the case. I'd recommend talking to a recruiter and find out what your options are.

Best of luck.

Hawky, Don´t set your hopes too high.

I can only speak for the British armed forces and please note that I´m not medically qualified and that the decision regarding medical suitability for enlistment is determined by selection medical staff.

Permanently unsuitable for entry into the Services in your case:

Visual standards: The minimum standards for both uncorrected and corrected visual acuity on recruitment are determined by single-Service authorities and are dependent upon the proposed employment and trade group. Spectacle or contact lens correction must not be greater than -7 dioptres or +8 dioptres in any meridian. Impaired colour perception (colour blindness) is not a bar to service but may limit career choices.

Heart disease: Certain congenital heart conditions e.g. repair of tetralogy of Fallot, coarctation of the aorta. Certain heart valve abnormalities. High blood pressure. Raynauds disease.

Height and weight should be within normal limits for the recruit age and weight should be in proportion to height.

Royal Navy and Royal Marines. There is a minimum height requirement of 151.5cm. The Royal Marines also have a minimum weight requirement of 60kg.

Army. There is an overall minimum height requirement of 148cm except for driver trades when the minimum height is 158cm. This will be indicated when those specific jobs are discussed as an option along with other selection criteria.

RAF. There is no overall minimum height; however, certain trades have a minimum height requirement. This will be indicated when those specific jobs are discussed as an option along with other selection criteria.

Many conditions that are compatible with civilian employment and sport may be considered incompatible with military service and if you are unclear about the impact of your medical history, you should seek further advice from your CA. Please note that Careers Advisers and their office staff are not medically qualified and that all final decisions regarding medical suitability for entry are only made by appropriately appointed medical staff. Also your application may be rejected due to other medical reasons, which are subject to the discretion of Service Medical Authorities.

Just one last thing. You must be 100% sure why you want to be part of the armed forces. They are not a work project for the unemployed. If you have not made some reflections about why, then you're just wasting time. Your inquiry will not be taken seriously.

Thanks for your replies, everyone. Especially 42, I'll make sure that I do check with my CA and the Recruiting Office. My father made a good point that I should have a back-up plan in case something goes wrong with the military career (that is, I don't get accepted due to medical reasons, or for whatever reason).

Thank you all very much, I'll keep you updated on what's going on. Although right now I'm at that point in my life where I don't really know what it is that I want to do... I haven't got the money for university/college (I know, there are student loan programmes, but I don't want to be balls-deep in debt.) Very tough time :(

Anyway, thanks again and I'll keep you all updated. :)

Back