thinking of joining the USMC.

hung.vinh

:salute:
Would you mind sharing me your experience and knowledge about the USMC ??:salute2:
I'm now prepare for my F1 visa to come to US soon and my real and honesty intention , my only wish to stake my life to fulfill is to serve in the Navy, the USMC. I have already known the fact that women naturally weaker than men, and badly treated, segregated and underestimated from Marines men to women or females, laws prohibit women to directly combat, etc... Although I know the only lack of me is I am a female, I don't feel complex about my gender, I consider myself really tough, hard-headed, and even highly disregard of risks and death :bravo:. I'm always on time and volunteer to every combat missions, to face the dangers...I will do anything, but just one thing I need from you is "don't refuse my sincerity." - I'm sure someone thinks this is unbelievable, but I'm assured everything I have said here are true and honesty from my heart, to tell my dream to the whole world!

About the visa, it will take a lot of times then, maybe 2 years at least...at that time , I will be 20 years old or more, wouldn't it suffice to military enlistment ??

You would need a permanent residency card (AKA the "Green Card"), pass the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery with a score of 32 or higher and meet the medical requirements in order to enlist.

Last edited:
I consider myself really tough, hard-headed
So was my grandmom, but the U.S. Marines don´t give a ****!

and even highly disregard of risks and death
Big time BS!

and volunteer to every combat missions, to face the dangers...I will do anything
Do you have a death wish? Again BTBS!
None in your unit will ever trust a nut case.

but just one thing I need from you is "don't refuse my sincerity."
You can bet your sweet ass that I will. You're 16 and want to do an adults job - Well sweet heart! Losing your attitude is one step on the way. You don´t impress us.
Fall out and report back with the appropriate attitude.

Legal residency. F1 Visa doesn't cut it.

Other than that, read the resident Bootneck's post.

@ 42RM: :neutral: Oh my God !! In my country , people almost said the same. Would you mind telling me what is "BTBS"? I have my plan seriously, carefully and consider every aspect of it before putting forward a decision. I mentioned I would do anything but I'm NOT going to mess up the unit with any arbitrary behavior or doing stupid things. Next, I'm not trying to gain your impression with a mere subterfuge like that, but my attitude is completety full of enthusiasm to do any training and combat works in the unit once I get there.:salute2:

Very thank you for all your comments and I'm very happy to meet people who directly comes from the USMC, hope to keep in touch with you here. :cheers:

Ah...I collect things that I must have: Legal residency, Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery's score (>=32), Medical requirement.

@ 42RM: :neutral: Oh my God !! In my country , people almost said the same. Would you mind telling me what is "BTBS"? I have my plan seriously, carefully and consider every aspect of it before putting forward a decision. I mentioned I would do anything but I'm NOT going to mess up the unit with any arbitrary behavior or doing stupid things. Next, I'm not trying to gain your impression with a mere subterfuge like that, but my attitude is completety full of enthusiasm to do any training and combat works in the unit once I get there.:salute2:

Very thank you for all your comments and I'm very happy to meet people who directly comes from the USMC, hope to keep in touch with you here. :cheers:

Ah...I collect things that I must have: Legal residency, Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery's score (>=32), Medical requirement.
Well, now that I have your full attention, we can proceed.

BTBS" is a non flattering acronym for "Big Time Bull S***"

It's okay to be enthusiastic, but don´t overdo it. The USMC don´t buy it. Just be yourself. Be calm and balanced. Be prepared, informed, and show you are motivated - but drop the gung ho attitude.

Do what you are told and perform as expected with the twist that you always give yourself 10% more than is expected of you. Again don´t
exaggerate and never do so at the expense of your comrades.

But just ask us - we're here to help. and we're not so tough when you get to know us. ;)

PS. I´m not USMC - I´m RM = Real Marines :angel:

I'm not a Marine, but I do spend a lot of time around recruiters, so that is where my info comes from :thumb:

to Mr.42RM:
oh, although it is what BTBS referring to, words don't matter much to me so feel free to give your idea...sometimes I bravely speak up what in my mind so it should bring me problem like frustrating and even mistrust... Thank you for your advice and I'm ready to proceed as you said, I will now high-motivated and responsibilites, I'm going to do what I said, don't let you feel dissatisfy because of vain talk.
I consider forcing myself or trying to be something to buy compliment and attraction are very ludicrous and disappointed to other people, and exaggerating is too much for me. Also, I'm not the kind of person who stupidity putting my comrades and my life at stake, when it comes to difficult situation , I will reflect on every consequences before making any conclusion. At working together, especially in the army, I don't lack of concern to my companions' safety.

Ah yes, it's nice to meet you. I’m very glad to meet people from the Marines, and read your suggestions . I have a question please…What do you think about females/women in the Marines ? If yes, what do they mostly do in the unit ?

I'm not a Marine, but I do spend a lot of time around recruiters, so that is where my info comes from :thumb:

ah yes, though you're not really Marine , you know well about the Marines then the information are very precious to me...searching the internet makes me confused...:-?
I will get my student visa around 1,2 years later, once I've been in the US how and how long can I receive the Green Card or legal residency ?
(it might be too far to care about the fact, but I want to carefully make all the preparations now.)

ah yes, though you're not really Marine , you know well about the Marines then the information are very precious to me...searching the internet makes me confused...:-?
I will get my student visa around 1,2 years later, once I've been in the US how and how long can I receive the Green Card or legal residency ?
(it might be too far to care about the fact, but I want to carefully make all the preparations now.)

Well for the legal residency, which is a green card, it depends from person to person. I don't know exactly how long for your situation.

Everyone is judged in the military. It's really no big deal. The point is, though, that females are judged on many points. Is she a good soldier? Do I have to pick up her slack? Can she keep up? Is she going to tattle, like the last one? There will always be a female who was there before you that completely screwed up. Once you show up on the scene, everyone will look at you and wonder if you're the same as the last one: the screw up. So, as a result they're careful, just as you should be careful. Never forget your professional attitude as a soldier, let alone as a female soldier representative. Females can make great soldiers. Second, unfortunately there are many females that slipped through the cracks that shouldn't be in the military.

The females that slip through the cracks tend to be women who join for any various reason and for the most part prefer not to work. These female soldiers make a bad name for other hardworking female soldiers. These females generally do the exact opposite of a hardworking female soldier and are easy to point out. I say this because these types of females have a name and it's close and almost on par with the term slut.

A harsh reality for a female soldier: You are considered a slut until proven otherwise. It is unfair, but that's just the stark reality. The sad part is, it's all so normal that no one thinks anything of it. But this is the way it is and you just deal with it and drive on. There's nothing to do but prove everyone wrong, and rise to the top.

Now, the great ones are the females that don't make excuses about their gender. They don't complain about their menstrual cycle openly, they don't whine, snivel, or gripe about anything or anyone, and they work on their shortcomings. For example, a male can do things that females can't. Men are better pack mules and their bodies are better fitted for endurance. Where females aren't naturally good at lugging things around and lugging them around for great distances, a female can still strengthen that weakness so that it doesn't hamper future operations she may be involved in. On the other hand, she doesn't call attention to herself and her ability to do everything; if there is a job or detail that needs to be done, she just gets it done. No problem. She's a squared away soldier just like the rest of 'em.

Let me make this clear though, once you get to your unit males in particular are very careful what they say around females because they are afraid that they'll get a sexual harassment report against them. So, understand this, because there will come a time when you enter a room full of males and they will all stop their hooting and laughing just because you walked in and yes, it's because you're female.

A female needs to be tough skinned. A lot of these males are good people and great soldiers, but everyone knows that "boys will be boys" especially amongst each other. Now throw a female in their midst and all of a sudden the males need to figure out which female she is: overly sensitive, or tough-skinned. So be ready to get judged, because it will happen.

@ Mr. 42RM : I got it, and very thank you for the detailed instruction. Being a female soldier has to overcome much more difficulty than a male soldier, especially criticising, judgement from males and the predecessors. First, I have to maintain my professional attitude and competence as a soldier , I'm not trying to set a perfect image in their eyes...but to be considerate, respect people in the unit , humbly listen and learn from them.
The fact that females are naturally weaker than males, serving in the Marines is quite more challenged and exhausted. About me, I consider myself having good health, I like sports, well-qualified at martial arts , running , swimming and yoga too... which help improve my muscles, sufficient fitness for endurance when it comes to such situation and relieve stress. And play sports with enthusiasm also trained me to become more patience and will of self-study by carefully observing and reading even without depending much on a teacher. To me, it is amazing...

PS: this summer, around June, I'm preparing to get my student visa to go to US, I don't really know how long but I will try to be fast as possible, not too urgently.

I think you´ll make it, hung.
Good luck.

And we're all friends here. No need to call me Mr.
42 will do.

Cheers, :cheers:

I think you´ll make it, hung.
Good luck.

And we're all friends here. No need to call me Mr.
42 will do.

Cheers, :cheers:
Thankyou, 42RM brother. I can't call you by nickname because you're more than 10 years older than me. Ah , I almost forget to ask: when I enrol in the USMC, do I need to finish at least high school or university? And with my student visa when coming to the US for studying, can I attend the Marine Corps JROTC, or Sea Cadets....first before register at USMC ?

Last edited:
Thankyou, 42RM brother. I can't call you by nickname because you're more than 10 years older than me. Ah , I almost forget to ask: when I enrol in the USMC, do I need to finish at least high school or university?

Only a high school diploma is required.

Thankyou, 42RM brother. I can't call you by nickname because you're more than 10 years older than me.
Suddenly I feel like an elderly man :coffee:
My girl friend had a hysterical fit of laughter when I showed her this post :(

Well, it's time for my morning nap :sleep:

maybe not...I think your girl friend won't laugh at you like that. In particularly, grown men/women who are near 30 or more are really experience , with serious , calmness and understanding.
Things get quite difficult for me, it is surely about money...my family's budget is tight and hardly can meet the requirement of the school fees and travels. And my last choice is going to earn a scholarship for college in the US, before pursuing my military career later, again there's problem that I must come back to my country after I've done my course, and I can't go to work for money or do anything more while studying. But can I join the JROTC or Sea Cadets at the time ?
Sorry for discussing out of the topic but you know well about US Laws & Education , I need your help on this case...this is really drive me nuts !!

Last edited:
maybe not...I think your girl friend won't laugh at you like that. In particularly, grown men/women who are near 30 or more are really experience , with serious , calmness and understanding.
Things get quite difficult for me, it is surely about money...my family's budget is tight and hardly can meet the requirement of the school fees and travels. And my last choice is going to earn a scholarship for college in the US, before pursuing my military career later, again there's problem that I must come back to my country after I've done my course, and I can't go to work for money or do anything more while studying. But can I join the JROTC or Sea Cadets at the time ?
Sorry for discussing out of the topic but you know well about US Laws & Education , I need your help on this case...this is really drive me nuts !!

The United States has an opportunity for Vietnamese students. However, it seems the opportunity has limitations, the US is open for students who want to take their Master degrees in the US, but they aren't so many annually (20-25). The best thing to do is to ask the US embassy in the Vietnam about things like this

http://vietnam.usembassy.gov/index.html

Back