Thinking of joining the militar - Advice?

Solid_Snake

So basically, I'm headed no where fast in life right now. I'm 24, have never had a job (seems impossible to find one), am not attending school at the moment. I'm just stuck in a rut right now and desperately want some kind of change.

The military seems like a good way to jump start things. I could use the money also.

Reading around, it seems like no matter what branch I join, there is a very real possibility that I could be deployed to a combat zone. The thought of that is disturbing, but I guess its unnerving for everyone else too...

I believe it is far safer for, someone in your age group, to be deployed to a “combat zone” with all the support of the US Armed forces than it is to drive on a US highway.

But, with no job and “stuck”, if this is your greatest worry then the military is probably not a good option for you.

So statistically, I'd have a better chance of being killed on the highway than at a combat zone. I think I've heard similar statistics before.

My greatest worry would be living as I am now for the rest of my life...

say I join and am deployed, what are the daily jobs of a deployed soldier?

I believe it is far safer for, someone in your age group, to be deployed to a “combat zone” with all the support of the US Armed forces than it is to drive on a US highway.

But, with no job and “stuck”, if this is your greatest worry then the military is probably not a good option for you.

This is an extremely simplistic way of looking at it. You should know better. If he's a computer tech, then yes it is pretty safe, but are you saying that a grunt, or scout, or tanker is safer deployed then driving back in the states? If that was the case for me then I would not have put near as much thought into mission/route planning, ttp's, battle drills, pcc and pci's etc...I'm not sure if you were taking a shot at the younger generation or combat deployments these days in general, regardless, perhaps you should refrain from answering such questions since you're so uninformed about what they're like these days.

This is an extremely simplistic way of looking at it. You should know better. If he's a computer tech, then yes it is pretty safe, but are you saying that a grunt, or scout, or tanker is safer deployed then driving back in the states? If that was the case for me then I would not have put near as much thought into mission/route planning, ttp's, battle drills, pcc and pci's etc...I'm not sure if you were taking a shot at the younger generation or combat deployments these days in general, regardless, perhaps you should refrain from answering such questions since you're so uninformed about what they're like these days.

Of course your right - but the "shot" was meant for a 24 years old with no job and (apparently) not a lot of ambition.

I spent over 25 years in the Army, most of it overseas; I am a VN vet and an ex-recruiter (involuntary); I also raised two sons by myself while doing this.

I believe I have some experience with the "youth" of the nation.

From the tone of this guys post do you really think he will be in combat arms?

So statistically, I'd have a better chance of being killed on the highway than at a combat zone. I think I've heard similar statistics before.

My greatest worry would be living as I am now for the rest of my life...

say I join and am deployed, what are the daily jobs of a deployed soldier?

Go to see a recruiter, from any branch of the service, and take a 30 min test they will give you.
Based on how you do on the test you will have a much better idea of specific jobs available to you.

Well, No i am not in any branch of the military but i have family and my boyfriend is at basic training. i Know most of my info from my rotc and boyfriend pretty much join whatever branch you would like and what will have whats great for you do it because you love it and don't let a recruiter say this is what you can do ASK questions and do not sign anything before you are 100% positive sure. i have to say its harder if you have a spouse or girlfriend you both have to be strong! with your family just give them info and talk to them.

So basically, I'm headed no where fast in life right now. I'm 24, have never had a job (seems impossible to find one), am not attending school at the moment. I'm just stuck in a rut right now and desperately want some kind of change.

The military seems like a good way to jump start things. I could use the money also.

Reading around, it seems like no matter what branch I join, there is a very real possibility that I could be deployed to a combat zone. The thought of that is disturbing, but I guess its unnerving for everyone else too...
Yes you are stuck in a rut mate so get out of it and get down to the recruitment office and sign on. You tell them what you would like to do and if your scores are good then you will join that Arm of the forces. I was in a rut and was facing a life of crime so I took the plunge and never looked back 22 years served Fantastic.

Try and get a job in the Army where when you leave you have a trade to take with you to Civilian street makes sense. Go to my web site www.steveosbornebritisharmy.com and you will see a book called Always Believe In Yourself Ideal for you mate good luck Steve

Back