Do you think your vote counts in your countrys elections?

Do you think your vote counts in your countrys elections?

• Yes, My Vote Counts

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I dont believe my Vote Counts at all

• My Country does not have elections

• Total voters

Mark Conley

For those people that have reached the age and are franchised to vote in your countries elections: Do you think your vote counts? Or do you feel it’s just a waste of your time?

For my opinion, I believe my vote counts, and I vote each and every chance I get. Even in the military, I was able to vote in every hometown election I had for 20 years, when I made the effort to get an absentee ballet to do it. One time, a county election back home was decided by one vote. An absentee ballot vote. I like to think it was mine.

What say you all?

I think your vote counts, and when I can vote mine will too. Your story is a testment to the value of a vote. As citizens we have an obligation to vote. I voted absolutely.

Voting is very important. You cant really complain about virtually anything if you just hadn't voted.
Some Europeans are very skeptical about the value of democracy in the US because we hear that percentage of voting people is way lower there than here in Europe. They simply ignore how many more intermediate elections the Americans have: the Americans vote for pretty much everything ( full fledged democracy ), like municipalities, counties, assemblies of various kind, and so forth. American bureaucracy is less schlerotized than ours and spoil system grants more change.
On top of that, this last European Elections miserably proved how snobish and wrong that criticism is : European Elections saw an average percentage of 40 % voters, with many countries at 20 % levels. Italy had it at 74 % but thats been an exception. As a matter of fact, your vote counts, to the extent that it makes you feel a citizen of your own country and allows you to intervene on the public sphere.

BTW, Mark: one of the options is that one's country has no elections. Let me say that this is very naive of you; someone from a country with no elections would be someone from a dictatorial country, i.e. someone who would NOT be allowed to take part of this forum because of foreseeable censorship and stuff.

I vote, and i do think my vote counts, I did however not wote in the EU Parlament election. Mainly because i forgot about it :roll:

BTW, Mark: one of the options is that one's country has no elections. Let me say that this is very naive of you; someone from a country with no elections would be someone from a dictatorial country, i.e. someone who would NOT be allowed to take part of this forum because of foreseeable censorship and stuff.

Now now...some countrys a still ruled by kings or established monarchys with no imputs required from the subjects. I dont think all kindoms are absolute dictatorships. You have to give everyone a consideration to voice something, in this forum.

no I aint that naive... :D

My vote HAS to count other wise whats the point of voting? Back in the sixth grade my friend lost the class president election by 1 vote. So every vote counts.

Well mark, those countrys usually have elections for the Parliament, which do not effect on the ruler himself, so your right about that...But some countrys have no election and people still have the internet.

sherman105 said:
Well mark, those countrys usually have elections for the Parliament, which do not effect on the ruler himself, so your right about that...
Exactly what we have here, although I have to say our queen isn't in charge. She has certain duties, but she can't decide the cource of our country on her own.
I voted "yes" btw.

The Importance of One Vote:

In 1645, one vote gave Oliver Cromwell control of England.

In 1649, one vote literally cost King Charles I of England his head.

In 1714, one vote placed King George I on the throne of England and restored the monarchy.

In 1776, one vote gave America the English language instead of German.

In 1850, California was admitted to the union by a margin of one vote.

In 1859, Oregon was admitted to the union by a margin of one vote.

In 1868, one vote saved President Andrew Johnson from impeachment.

In 1875, a one-vote margin changed France from a Monarchy to a republic.

In 1962, the governors of Maine, Rhode Island and North Dakota were all elected by a margin of one vote.

…And there are countless others. So yes, my vote does count!

(The information listed above was taken from an essay provided by the Honorable Mary Morgan, Supervisor of Elections, Collier County, Florida.)

Italian Guy said:
FutureOKtrooper said:
In 1776, one vote gave America the English language instead of German
:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :shock:

I knew something about the German Americans from PA, but...

Yep only one vote. Imagine us talking German now.
I think the history would be totally different, starting from WWI..... :?

Of course it counts. Yours could be the vote that wins your guy the election. I didn't know that about speaking Deutsch vs American Redneck English!

vote

is Aus it is compulsory to vote, if you dont you get fined unless you have religious reasons (sounds real domocratic )

unfortunatly i dont think my vote does count even though i vote in every election. because we really only have two choices of who will get in liberal or labour. and they both seem to be as bad as each other. no other partys are big enough to get in control.

On the other hand, BM, when you have like say 5 parties then governments get unstable and fall within months from their creation.

Back