Do you think retired soldiers should teach jrotc?

JulesLee

Well I dont like how its run by retired soldiers because.. they dont really give a damn.. well .. that was for my afjrotc SASI...
we really didnt do much.. he just sat in his little office all period on the computer.. (reason why im not taking AFJROTC next year) he promised us ALOT OF things but we didnt get anything.. we just sat in class and discussed how we can " improve our corps".. also he promotes people on their academic grade, one of them who got an award asked me what TSGT stood for... I was like... :-| ....
The reason I joined that class is becuz i had interest in the military but that class makes military look bad... I feel like I wasted 2 years being a part of that..
maybe it would be better if it was thought by active duty.. like senior rotc?

JROTC and SROTC are a lot different. SROTC is taught by mostly active duty folks.

The ciriculum is also difference. The retired soldiers have a lot to offer, and like active duty, you aren't going to like them all.

And just because you didn't care for that officer or the way that program was structured or implemented, you shouldn't feel that all retired officers or all JROTC programs are the same. Ask around, maybe you can find another more suitable program. Maybe you'd like a CAP program better?
Oh BTW, most retired officers and enlisted personnel that I know of do care, a great deal.

Im in AJROTC and my army instructer and senior army insructer are bother retired and they do a great job. I love my army instructer SFC Porter is like a father to me and is filled with information and offers alot to the program my senior army instructer is the same way while id dont like CPT Simpson i know that he still has alot to offer and i put up with him because i know that it will pay off sometimes u just have to stick with it even though you may not like your instructers

my SMI and MI give their all into this program
the MI drives every day from San Antonio to Austin just to help us out...
hes there when we need him, except if its help with homework....20 years in Marine Corps infantry didnt help his brain cell count....

The SMI moved here from New Mexico with his family of 5 to take over the old SMI's position...Theyre there at 715 every morning until usually 5 at night...

Well I dont like how its run by retired soldiers because.. they dont really give a damn.. well .. that was for my afjrotc SASI...
we really didnt do much.. he just sat in his little office all period on the computer.. (reason why im not taking AFJROTC next year) he promised us ALOT OF things but we didnt get anything.. we just sat in class and discussed how we can " improve our corps".. also he promotes people on their academic grade, one of them who got an award asked me what TSGT stood for... I was like... :-| ....
The reason I joined that class is becuz i had interest in the military but that class makes military look bad... I feel like I wasted 2 years being a part of that..
maybe it would be better if it was thought by active duty.. like senior rotc?

I'm in AFJROTC also (obviously) and my unit's SASI and ASI are both retired AF. They both care about the cadets almost more then their own kids, and I've learned so much from them. They are the reason that I plan to join the AF when I graduate. So it just might be that perticular person. Don't think that all retired soliders are like that just because of one or two. That sounds kinda like I'm being rude or something but I don't mean it to. If you really love it (as I do) and plan to have a military carrer...you shouldn't let one person ruin that for you.

Every unit is different. Every retired soldier is different. At my high school, the program was run by 3 VERY different men. There were three guys in charge - 2 first sergeants and a colonel. They were all freaking awesome. I wasn't in the battalion, but they let me become an "honorary member" who somehow got drug into road marches, but experienced wonderful benefits with rappelling. The JROTC was always busy going to the mountains, Florida for Scuba, competitions for the drill team, Raiders, rifle team, and color guard, and visiting army bases for training and tours.

Try to get into a similar organization in your area if this one isn't satisfying. Give ROTC a try. If you are interested in the military, being in the ROTC will provide serious benefits.

Stick through it!

I guess I'll give a bit of a Canadian spin on this.

A few of the senior CIC (Cadet Instructors Cadre) Officers that I've met during my time in Air Cadets were retired CF members, some recent, some years back. They usually have a lot to offer, but it all depends on the person.

It's a guarantee that you'll meet some that just don't care anymore, but from my experience, this is few and far between. Most of the time, you'll have one that cares about passing on their knowledge and experience to the younger generation, and try to give the kids some insight of the world around them. If you get one of these guys, make sure you listen to them as they're a valuable source of information. If you've got some spare time, take a moment to sit down and chat with some of them too, as I'm sure they've got plenty more to say than just when they're instructing.

As others have said, it's pretty much a hit or miss situation when it comes to getting a good guy. Just stick with it. When you get as much as you can out of it, JROTC can be a valuable experience.

Like every one else in this world some will be good at what they do and others are a waste of space. Have you ever tried marching up to him and telling him just what you think of him and his attitude.

Look at it this way, the variability in your JROTC instructors will probably be very close to the same as you will experience once you join the full fledged military. It's a great experience and allows you to see life a it is,... and will continue to be both in the forces and out.

To be able to judge, and handle others is a valuable life skill, make the most of it. Learn from it and try to emulate those you admire, don't waste your time bitching about the "drop kicks" you'll end up a better person.

Last edited:
Something good to remember is they might be hard on you but maybe its because they know you can do better and can meet those expectations. Also even if a coach seems mean he might be a really nice person you just got to know them like i did with my senior instructor hes awesome

You know in life you are going to be given bad apples and good ones. I'm telling, suck it up with the bad ones, and learn to love them. With the good apples, get as much info as you can, learn as much as you can. It's all about attititude.

My CIC officers are great, some more than others, with the ones I get along with great I do more with, the ones I don't I do less with, but I give them the same respect. Change your attitude and your situation may change on you.

Another thing to add is even if the instructors aren't doing they job.. "STEP IT UP MAKE IT HAPPEN" thats what we say. Do it yourself take the initiative if you don't like how things are ran then get your command group and yourself to change it. Because instructors may have the say but the cadets are the one who do the action.

im in mjrotc and its ran by former marines one is a gunnery seargant and the other is a major... i think it gives a realler feel :sniper:

We have a HMC (CorpsMan Cheif Petty Officer) Reservest, that teaches us he is the coolest guy youd ever meet and he takes us all over the base ive met Captians, Adimrals, Senior, Master Cheifs beacuse of him. ''Its him, not the military''

The retired soldiers have a lot to offer, and like active duty, you aren't going to like them all.

Back