Things that go CHOMP

UBIQUE

I'm interested if any of you service men have had any "close encounters" with dangerous wildlife whilst on Ex or Ops. Whilst we have a vast number of the worlds top 20 poisonous snakes and wild boars, that might take a lump out of you, the only things that we have with a passionate desire to eat you are crocs and sharks. As a result it is only when we are near their habitat that we are given live rnds and post sentries whilst on Ex.

I had a discussion a while ago with an Canadian ex Para about encountering hazardous fauna whilst on Ex and he relayed a story of a Bull Moose setting off trip flares and early warning after it had wandered into the perimeter of his Recon Patrol Leaders CSE. He made comment that the moose was a rather amusing sight with a couple of Hoochies hanging from its antlers. He also stated he brassed up a couple of boars that where going to compromise his OP in Bosnia.

Have any of you had to face down anything with only your service rifle and blanks?? :shock:

Gators my friend. Gators... Always got to be careful about them when going through the swamps at Fort Benning Ga.

Whilst we have a vast number of the worlds top 20 poisonous snakes and wild boars, that might take a lump out of you, the only things that we have with a passionate desire to eat you are crocs and sharks.

What about Yowies mate??? Oh theyr'e out there, and i'm gonna prove it.

During a live fire exercise in 1996, or was it 1997, we were chased by a mean lean sheep being greatly annoyed by our presence...

:hide:

Besides Moscus and snakes have been a common problem.

Scorpions in Oklahoma, tarantulas at NTC, and some fairly obnoxious wild boars in Graf.

That's it for me . . . unless you include some of the human animals :shock:

I'd be more impressed if you got a panther

Pfft. That bush panther is just a myth mate, feral cats get pretty big in the scrub because they have heaps to eat. Nobody will ever capture a wild panther in Australia. Yowies are a different story.

don't know if it counts but encountered poisonous snakes during the 1 week exercise in the shooting range, east of city of Tehran (Central Iran)

Would that have been a Cobra??

A mate of mine had a brown snake slide under his armpit and between his elbows whilst lying prone behind his pack in an ambush on Ex. Near :cen: himself when he first saw it then realised it wasn't interested in him and watched it slide off.

I saw a monster of a King Brown whilst hunting pigs in the Northern Territory. I only saw about 6' of it and it was about 7-8" in diameter and 6' away from me. Needles to say I didn't provoke it either

Craftsman said:
I'd be more impressed if you got a panther

Pfft. That bush panther is just a myth mate, feral cats get pretty big in the scrub because they have heaps to eat. Nobody will ever capture a wild panther in Australia. Yowies are a different story.

Oh great, the panther is a myth. Now what am I gonna do up here in the mountains,

I know, hunt for that Yowie. :lol:

Hows that, 2 days after i say its just a myth, some bastard shoots a big cat in the middle of the bush. :roll:

Yeah, I saw the footage on the news updates during the Bathurst coverage. Do you happen to have a link/URL?

Cheers

HA, I knew it was real, :lol: well actually i didn't.

But Still, I got something to do next holidays, hunt the Blue Mountains Panther,

Back