Things EVERY True Southerner Knows

DTop

Someone sent me this and I got a kick out of it and thought I'd pass it on. I'm sure we have more than one true southerner here. Anyone familiar with all of these? Don't worry if you're not even from the U.S. because not everyone from the U.S. will get all of these either :lol:

1. The difference between a hissie fit and a conniption fit.

2. Pretty much how many fish make up a mess.

3. What general direction cattywumpus is.

4. That "gimme sugar" don't mean pass the sugar.

5. When somebody's "fixin" to do something, it won't be long.

6. The difference between Yankees and damn Yankees.

7. How good a cold grape Nehi and cheese crackers are at a country store.

8. Knows what "Well I Suwannee !!" means.

9. Ain't nobody's biscuits like Grandma's biscuits !!

10. A good dog is worth its weight in gold.

11. Real gravy don't come from the store.

12. When "by and by" is.

13. How to handle their "pot likker".

14. The difference between "pert' near" and "a right far piece".

15. The differences between a redneck, a good ol' boy, and trailer trash.

16. Never to go snipe hunting twice.

17. At one point learned what happens when you swallow tobacco juice.

18. Never to assume that the other car with the flashing turn signal is actually going to turn.

19. You may wear long sleeves, but you should always roll 'em up past the elbows.

20. You should never loan your tools, pick-up, or gun to nobody.

21. A belt serves a greater purpose than holding Daddy's pants up.

22. Rocking chairs and swings are guaranteed stress relievers.

23. Rocking chairs and porch swings with an old person sitting in them are history lessons.

Don't forget, In Texas, a defense for murder is "he needed killin'"
Also loading the dishwasher means getting your wife drunk.
Hotdam is not cursing.
Hidedoo and Howyu mean the same thing.
How much is a buttload, really.
Y'all pretty much includes everyone.
My wife run off with my best buddy, and I miss him.

In deep East Texas, a sentence can sound like one word so you have to listen close before answering.

Catch Jeff Foxworthy's act whenever you can if you like this kind of humor, I guarantee you will enjoy every minute.

its funny when people say y'all talking to one person and im the only one there who thinks its funny :lol:
wait, no its not :(

Look Just be glad we made it through the 96 Olympic games without doing something to embaress the nation.

also doesn't y'all meen all y'all and all y'all meen 'y'all

Darcia said:
Look Just be glad we made it through the 96 Olympic games without doing something to embaress the nation.

also doesn't y'all meen all y'all and all y'all meen 'y'all

What in the world are you talking about? BTW, exactly how old were you in '96? Oh we have a spell checker in case you haven't seen it yet ;)

DTop said:
1. The difference between a hissie fit and a conniption fit.

2. Pretty much how many fish make up a mess.

3. What general direction cattywumpus is.

4. That "gimme sugar" don't mean pass the sugar.

5. When somebody's "fixin" to do something, it won't be long.

6. The difference between Yankees and damn Yankees.

7. How good a cold grape Nehi and cheese crackers are at a country store.

8. Knows what "Well I Suwannee !!" means.

9. Ain't nobody's biscuits like Grandma's biscuits !!

10. A good dog is worth its weight in gold.

11. Real gravy don't come from the store.

12. When "by and by" is.

13. How to handle their "pot likker".

14. The difference between "pert' near" and "a right far piece".

15. The differences between a redneck, a good ol' boy, and trailer trash.

16. Never to go snipe hunting twice.

17. At one point learned what happens when you swallow tobacco juice.

18. Never to assume that the other car with the flashing turn signal is actually going to turn.

19. You may wear long sleeves, but you should always roll 'em up past the elbows.

20. You should never loan your tools, pick-up, or gun to nobody.

21. A belt serves a greater purpose than holding Daddy's pants up.

22. Rocking chairs and swings are guaranteed stress relievers.

23. Rocking chairs and porch swings with an old person sitting in them are history lessons.

What do all these 23 things mean? As a non American I can't get it, but I'm really curious. The y'all and all y'all thing, the yankees and damn yankees one, the by and bye, everything. I know it's asking too much.

Italian Guy said:
What do all these 23 things mean? As a non American I can't get it, but I'm really curious. The y'all and all y'all thing, the yankees and damn yankees one, the by and bye, everything. I know it's asking too much.

In the Southern United States, 'Y'all' is a blended contraction of "You all."

An example would be .. "Do y'all want to go to the store for some coke?"

"Coke" is also the general term for ALL soda in the south, at least in NC and GA. "What kind of coke do you want?" Reply: "A Pepsi"

Yankee is a term for those Americans that live in the Northern United States. My first post was at Ft. Benning, Ga - in Ireland as in most parts of the world, Yankee means "American," regardless of what state he's from. I was often getting into scraps with the local population over calling them "Yanks."

[quote="RnderSafe I was often getting into scraps with the local population over calling them "Yanks."[/quote]

:shock: Ohh man, I bet. That is just askin for a butt whoopin.

Here is an accent for ya....

Good thing I don't write like I talk......LOL
Actually MINE is or was Hard Core cuz I
was from way up North. My accent has
slightly changed since I moved to PA
8 months ago BUt only slightly lol

The Bawstin Accent

Moved to it's own Thread :)

LadyHawk

**Future Marine Corp Mom**

Why stick the bawstin accent in here with the Sothern thread :lol:
You must have lived in the South end. Ah yes good ol Southie. I'd have pegged you more toward the cape (Cape Cod) but not right on the cape. I don't know why but that's just the image I have of you. So, where in the Bay State did you live ladyhawk?

DTop said:
Why stick the bawstin accent in here with the Sothern thread :lol:
You must have lived in the South end. Ah yes good ol Southie. I'd have pegged you more toward the cape (Cape Cod) but not right on the cape. I don't know why but that's just the image I have of you. So, where in the Bay State did you live?

I guess I stuck it here cuz it made me think of my
accent and how people where I live now LOVE to hear me talk.
I have gotten some folks just ask me to repeat things
so they can hear me pronounce my sentences again:roll:

:lol: :lol:

I was born and raised in Maine 8 months ago moved
to live near philly.

Totally Country Gal GONE City LOL

I guess I should have started new topic on this :oops:

LadyHawk

You still can start a new thread. I think it'd be worth it's own thread. Besides you'll get more milbucks for it :)

DTop said:
You still can start a new thread. I think it'd be worth it's own thread. Besides you'll get more milbucks for it :)

**Standing to Attention and Saluting**

Yes, Sir!! :lol: :lol:

It is done :)

LadyHawk

Italian Guy said:
Right, the yankee thing is true. Non americans use yankee for any american, regardless of the state.

sorry ya'll i just had to pop in and say that just ain't cool! i do my best to keep a level head about the whole north and south thing here in GA... i don't have a rebel flag or anything crazy like that but from the fair amount of traveling i do... (i spend about two to three weeks in the north east every year for the last eight years or so)... i really don't want to be called a YANKEE. i don't think that it is derogitory or anything but I think of it as being called a rude inconsiderate being only concerned about myself! I am by no means saying that this is the case with every yankee but from my limited experience the north just ain't the same as the south! just as a for instance everytime i visit VA pal come up to me on the streets and ask me why the %#$@ i am waving and saying hey to ppl as i walk down the street! wtf you can't go 3 feet where i live without someone asking how your day went and jest plain bein nice! no offense taken!

implicature said:
Italian Guy said:
Right, the yankee thing is true. Non americans use yankee for any american, regardless of the state.

sorry ya'll i just had to pop in and say that just ain't cool! i do my best to keep a level head about the whole north and south thing here in GA... i don't have a rebel flag or anything crazy like that but from the fair amount of traveling i do... (i spend about two to three weeks in the north east every year for the last eight years or so)... i really don't want to be called a YANKEE. i don't think that it is derogitory or anything but I think of it as being called a rude inconsiderate being only concerned about myself! I am by no means saying that this is the case with every yankee but from my limited experience the north just ain't the same as the south! just as a for instance everytime i visit VA pal come up to me on the streets and ask me why the %#$@ i am waving and saying hey to ppl as i walk down the street! wtf you can't go 3 feet where i live without someone asking how your day went and jest plain bein nice! no offense taken!
VA huh? That's considered the south by most any northerner.

DTop said:
VA huh? That's considered the south by most any northerner.

hate to break it to ya'll but it ain' by a long shot! i would have to put North Virginia as the new mason dixon line... and even that is pushing it sometimes!
while i do see where your coming from as even the south saw it that way duing the Civil War but i think after visiting it becomes clear that VA no longer keeps the ways of southern hospitality!
Confederate_States_Map.jpg

I hate to break it to you but I wouldn't go to VA looking for a cup of chowdah either. It's true that things are always changing and there is a huge difference between GA and VA (esp. around DC) but the South will always be below the Mason Dixon line and Yankees will always come from north of it. Many people say that Florida is not the south but I wouldn't mistake it for NYC either (except for parts of Tampa maybe). Vive la difference is how I look at it.

Back