Things EVERY True Southerner Knows

Darcia wrote:
Look Just be glad we made it through the 96 Olympic games without doing something to embaress the nation.

also doesn't y'all meen all y'all and all y'all meen 'y'all

What in the world are you talking about? BTW, exactly how old were you in '96? Oh we have a spell checker in case you haven't seen it yet

Not sure if this is what darcia was talking about, but jeff foxworthy has a whole shpeal about the south screwing up the 96 olympics...if you havent heard it you should try to listen to it, its funny as hell

us people from up north dont really get offended by "yankee", because unless your from New York, we hate the yankees to for the most part(talking about the baseball team)

and clam chowdah is the best!!! especially Massachusetts!! I loved those chowdah fests ;)

The difference between a hissie fit and a conniption fit.

a hissie fit's what your sister throws when she can't have a second helping of pie. a conniption is what your mama has when you tell her you're pregnant...

That "gimme sugar" don't mean pass the sugar.

heh... "gimme sugar" means "gimme lovin" unless used by a female relative, in which case it means "gimme a kiss"

How good a cold grape Nehi and cheese crackers are at a country store.

this one's unexplainable, sorry.

Ain't nobody's biscuits like Grandma's biscuits !!

ain't that the truth... i've been to every restaurant in California, and i've despaired of ever finding good biscuits and gravy... makes me want to cry everytime i bite into doughy lumps with white paste poured over 'em...

A good dog is worth its weight in gold.

a good dog will tree a coon, guard your truck, eat the table scraps, drink liquor, and sleep on the porch. he's also part hound. :)

Real gravy don't come from the store.

real gravy come from giblets...

When "by and by" is.

well... by and by is later on, in a leisurely sort of sense. for example: he'll be home, by and by.

How to handle their "pot likker".

this one's easy. if your uncle makes it in a bathtub, bottles it in empty oil cartons, and serves it in mason jars, just sip the first glass. after that, your mouth'll be too raw to feel anything :)

The differences between a redneck, a good ol' boy, and trailer trash.

a redneck has no teeth, you take a good ol' boy hunting, and trailer trash steals your tv, your dog... and your daughter.

Never to go snipe hunting twice.

i refuse to divulge the details of this one :)

At one point learned what happens when you swallow tobacco juice.

pretty self-explanatory... and nasty, too.

A belt serves a greater purpose than holding Daddy's pants up.

also good for a good tanning... i mean whuppin'... :)

and all y'all means everybody, while y'all means everybody... or one person. actually, they're kind of interchangable, depending on the sentence. it's more about the rhythm of the sentence, then the words in it.

hope that answers some of your questions, italian :)

rotc boy said:
us people from up north dont really get offended by "yankee"

You got that RIGHT been a called a Yankee all my life :lol:

My BEST Friend is a Brit and she would call me Yankee
to get response from me NEEDLES to say never worked!

LMAO

LadyHawk

**Future Marine Corps Mom**

rosenshyne said:
The difference between a hissie fit and a conniption fit.

a hissie fit's what your sister throws when she can't have a second helping of pie. a conniption is what your mama has when you tell her you're pregnant...

That "gimme sugar" don't mean pass the sugar.

heh... "gimme sugar" means "gimme lovin" unless used by a female relative, in which case it means "gimme a kiss"

How good a cold grape Nehi and cheese crackers are at a country store.

this one's unexplainable, sorry.

Ain't nobody's biscuits like Grandma's biscuits !!

ain't that the truth... i've been to every restaurant in California, and i've despaired of ever finding good biscuits and gravy... makes me want to cry everytime i bite into doughy lumps with white paste poured over 'em...

A good dog is worth its weight in gold.

a good dog will tree a coon, guard your truck, eat the table scraps, drink liquor, and sleep on the porch. he's also part hound. :)

Real gravy don't come from the store.

real gravy come from giblets...

When "by and by" is.

well... by and by is later on, in a leisurely sort of sense. for example: he'll be home, by and by.

How to handle their "pot likker".

this one's easy. if your uncle makes it in a bathtub, bottles it in empty oil cartons, and serves it in mason jars, just sip the first glass. after that, your mouth'll be too raw to feel anything :)

The differences between a redneck, a good ol' boy, and trailer trash.

a redneck has no teeth, you take a good ol' boy hunting, and trailer trash steals your tv, your dog... and your daughter.

Never to go snipe hunting twice.

i refuse to divulge the details of this one :)

At one point learned what happens when you swallow tobacco juice.

pretty self-explanatory... and nasty, too.

A belt serves a greater purpose than holding Daddy's pants up.

also good for a good tanning... i mean whuppin'... :)

and all y'all means everybody, while y'all means everybody... or one person. actually, they're kind of interchangable, depending on the sentence. it's more about the rhythm of the sentence, then the words in it.

hope that answers some of your questions, italian :)

Well yeah it definitely does, Rosenshyne :D Thank you very much. Talk to you soon, by and by 8)

nice, i moved to nyc just today, its a super nice city, last time i lived here was 2 yers back

new york definetly owns any part of the us and the yankee part of the country is the best

the south is still a mystery to me, havent been there so thats probably why i judge new york asd the best city of us

Go new york fries

and ooo ya, rednecks, lower ur guns cuz im visiting houston this year as well

paratroopa said:
nice, i moved to nyc just today, its a super nice city, last time i lived here was 2 yers back

new york definetly owns any part of the us and the yankee part of the country is the best

the south is still a mystery to me, havent been there so thats probably why i judge new york asd the best city of us

Go new york fries

and ooo ya, rednecks, lower ur guns cuz im visiting houston this year as well

What does this have to do with the subject of this thread?

Just to let you know, implicature, hospitality isn't forgotten in the North just in big chunks of it. In Vermont we still wave at passersby ask folks how they're doing whether we know them or not and address men as "sir" and women as "ma'am". Probably why all my best buddies in the regulars were Southerners. Common frame of culture.

Charge_7 said:
Just to let you know, implicature, hospitality isn't forgotten in the North just in big chunks of it. In Vermont we still wave at passersby ask folks how they're doing whether we know them or not and address men as "sir" and women as "ma'am". Probably why all my best buddies in the regulars were Southerners. Common frame of culture.

yeah those are the things that make me feel at home! when you told your story about no one picking you up as you were walking down the road i just could not believe it... i pick ppl up no matter what they are dressed like or whatever... i know that in some locations you just can't do that in fear of your life but dang ppl show a little heart! the best way to tell the south (home) from anywhere else is
Brooks (from Shawshank Redemption) said:
The world went and got itself in a big damn hurry"

Sometimes you just gotta know when to "have a sit and rest yer walkin' stick"!!

Yep, that was a big part of why I was shocked. Not to mention the deathly cold temperature, but fellow northerners just can't visualize our low crime rate. The murder tally for 2004 was 8 for the whole state. All but 2 were drunks killing their spouses. The 2 that were not were an old couple killed by a couple of New York teenagers who robbed them. Figures.

Back