thing that made me go hummmm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AHOY
why have we not seen enemy snipers in Afghanistan and especially Iraq like there was in Bosnia? As far as I know there have been zero loses to 50 cal. rifles in either conflicts. would appreciate any ones thoughts. G-day!

Last edited:
AHOY, did you miss read my thread I said enemy snipers, there have been no NATO losses to 50 cal. or any other sniper weapons that i know of. And I did here one time about a 6 member USMC sniper team being taken off a roof with out a shot being fired. I seen a video the other day showing 3 US marines on a roof where some enemy personal had gotten in under them (down stirs) they the Marines looked like three rats on a log stuck out in the middle of a lake. Its not well trained ghost sniper teams IMO they can't even get by the kids scouting around. G-day!

There was alot of sniper activity in Iraq at least, all those horrible videos were online for everyone to see...

AHOY, Sherman IMO the shootings your talking about are nothing more than shootouts not organized sniper campaign. The one I've seen on CNN showed that trooper by the Bradly and he's hit in the shoulder no expert shooting there. can you ID any links to videos your taking about? In general all the videos I see show or brave men and women winging it, no classic guerrilla tactics in sight. lots of cursing and go go go go etc. G-day!

AHOY, for example on tactics anyone ever here of these, I have seen them all broken on every video I seen. [FONT=&quot]You don’t look, shoot or run from same side of cover and concealment you approach. Look from one side shoot from another. Right handed shooters tend to shoot from right side. You should alternate hand you carry weapon in and side you intend to shoot from. Shoot from shoulder that best allows you to stay behind cover. You don’t expose weapons or body parts from windows, doorways, corners, over hangs or objects of cover and concealment. This tells foe what you’re aiming at, how many you are and where you is. G-day!
[/FONT]

Last edited by a moderator:
The videos Im talking about were mainly taken by the insurgent and they only show the kill shots. They dont show the technics the use or what happens when they **** up...They usually dont use .50 cal sniper rifles, usuualy 7.62 russian SVD or other soviet sniper weapons(and probably alot of scoped AKs). These shots are made in urban terrain, where you dont really need that long reaching 50 cal but you do need somthing light weight that you can run away with. Also remember that 50 cal precision rifles are very expensive unlike the very common SVD and others of its kind. But I must note that I am not an expert on this issue and I do my sniping from 3000 yards with a 105mm weapon:)

AHOY, it's an old viking/maritime/Newjarheaddean war cry. Newjarheaddean (also spelt with one D). I'm on the war path to exspose the USMC and all the so called SOF are not properly trained. And for those that say chivalry is for the museums I say first we most have peace on earth. Sherman your points are well taken, I also realized Iraq is flat terrain and with everyone sleeping on the roofs (I know snipers usually posistion one or two floors below roof) and lack of empty rooms (crowded cities) would make sniping difficult. Everyone else is making this personal, tactics please, anyone. G-day!

AHOY, [FONT=&quot]more tactics, snipers also can be found under concrete slabs, these slabs can be raised with car jacks.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]They do not like to shoot at groups (don't cluster f..k though). Snipers well call in fire on structures to flush out targets. Sniper’s radio more deadly than his rifle. Snipers used to delay the enemies pursuit during your retreat. Will position themselves between large units, to cause blue on blue shootings. I'll say this IMO the lack of sniper attack on NATO forces has to do with the fact that troops don't dismount without major UAV and other aircraft over head, everyone heres the jets and know the bombs will fall if a large caliber weapon takes an officers head off. And lets not for get CROW systems. My point is its all high tech no John Waynes or Rambos. I just wish the recuits new this up front, US teaches Crazy not Karate. G-day!
[/FONT]

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe you don't see competent enemy snipers because they're civilians who have taken up arms, and are most likely quite scared.

Last edited:
[FONT=&quot]My point is its all high tech no John Waynes or Rambos. I just wish the recuits new this up front, US teaches Crazy not Karate. G-day![/FONT]

sorry not sure what point you are trying to make here. obviously if you have UAV you should use them to preserve the life of your soldiers. why send a squad unknowing into a situation when you can have an undetected UAV recon the situation beforehand so you have an idea of what you are going into?

AHOY, [FONT=&quot]more tactics, snipers also can be found under concrete slabs, these slabs can be raised with car jacks.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]They do not like to shoot at groups (don't cluster f..k though). Snipers well call in fire on structures to flush out targets. Sniper’s radio more deadly than his rifle. Snipers used to delay the enemies pursuit during your retreat. Will position themselves between large units, to cause blue on blue shootings. I'll say this IMO the lack of sniper attack on NATO forces has to do with the fact that troops don't dismount without major UAV and other aircraft over head, everyone heres the jets and know the bombs will fall if a large caliber weapon takes an officers head off. And lets not for get CROW systems. My point is its all high tech no John Waynes or Rambos. I just wish the recuits new this up front, US teaches Crazy not Karate. G-day![/FONT]

Wow!!!!!!! Okay!!!!! Scout Snipers have varied mission profiles and means of carrying out the assigned missions. There are Sniper Teams as well as Designated Marksmen deployed by the USMC, US Army and USAF (kinda Sorta) in A'Stan and Iraq. The enviroment, mission and activity and other factors are going to dictate how they deploy. Whether they are on a Fob or with a manuver element or actually on stalk is dependent to the mission. Not all S/S missons are stalk missions, most are force multiplier missions. Not every mission is a Gunny Hathcock belly crawl with a hide and a week waiting for your shot. Makes for good Hollywood but not sound reality.

There are Insurgent snipers. Armed mostly with SVD's and FN-FAL's with optics. However they are not what most militaries would consider trained Snipers. I don't know the level or type of training they receive but it generally comes down to a first shot miss clanging off a track or humvee, followed by the concentrated fire power of the target being poured into their position, or a one shot run away scenerio.

We know what A'hoy is, no need to say it every post. And G'day is a greeting not a farewell.

I'm on the war path to exspose the USMC and all the so called SOF are not properly trained.

So you served for 2 years back in the 80's and you're now qualified to state this?

I'm on the war path to exspose the USMC and all the so called SOF are not properly trained.

Pray tell, how does a PFC 0311 with 2 years TIS intend to expose the training failures of the USMC and the entire US Spec Op's Community?

You served in a line company for what 18 months give or take? Now your an expert in training and asset deployment. Gimmie a break. In 18 months you didn't even learn to total role of a rifleman in an fire team.

Me thinks you should rachet back a notch or four.

AHOY, well I certainly feel like I,m back in my old unit. I've spent my life gathering tactics, routinely editing FMs and others bks of hundreds of pages down to maybe 10 pages. US changes terms and acronyms at every level of cmd and the entire vocabulary for every generation. Its filibuster stall tactics. T/last thing US wont's is a well trained militia. Brave men and women are fooled into thinking they know so much because they can speak the language of their generation. 90% of all I know I learned myself. And now I can tell Uncle Sam's mislead children USMC exactly what was and is missing from t/training weather t/USMC can handle the truth or not. USMC joined the SOCOM LOL. Have you all forgotten once a Marine... G-day!

Yeah it's what the FM told you huh?
Did you get your butt whipped on a daily basis? That's how RoKMC made up for lost time. You learn real quick that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back