The thing that Chewie said about not needing military - Page 3

--

April 5th, 2005  
Charge 7

Quote:
and yet after the nazis influence was removed the german society went back to what it was like before
Somebody just waved a magic wand huh?
April 5th, 2005  
chewie_nz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charge_7
Quote:
and yet after the nazis influence was removed the german society went back to what it was like before
Somebody just waved a magic wand huh?
no, people return to the habits they had, i don't think many germans would have considered the war years to be fun, easy or the best way to conduct their lives.
April 5th, 2005  
Charge 7

My point was that it took military action for that to happen.
--
April 5th, 2005  
A Can of Man

And I wouldn't say Germany returned to its old ways.
German culture IS different now than before. It's not surprising because culture is an ever changing thing but the way it happened really influenced the outcome.
Germany today in terms of the masses might actually be the most pacifist country out of all major countries of the world. Even in Pre-World War II, this was not the case. Gone are the warlike Prussian traditions (in the larger scale of things anyway).
So as a result of losing World War II, GERMANY'S culture changed into one that incorporated mass pacifism.
April 5th, 2005  
chewie_nz

Quote:
My point was that it took military action for that to happen.

no....it took the removal of the external force (naziism). and yes it was through military force
April 5th, 2005  
Charge 7

Quote:
no....it took the removal of the external force (naziism). and yes it was through military force
That's doubletalk.
April 5th, 2005  
chewie_nz

Quote:
Quote:
That's doubletalk.

ok in the instance of WWII, yes it did take a military action to remove naziism so the german people could return to what their society had been before the war.

however what i was trying to get at was that it would've gone back if naziism had been removed by other means (election, coup etc)
April 5th, 2005  
Charge 7

Quote:
however what i was trying to get at was that it would've gone back if naziism had been removed by other means (election, coup etc)
Now you truly are living in a fantasyland if you think anything short of military force would've been able to remove Naziism.
April 5th, 2005  
Whispering Death

Yeah dude, when you've got a fanatical regime controlling a society you can't reason with it. Fanaticism is blind rage and you can only stop it through force.
April 5th, 2005  
chewie_nz

Quote:
Quote:
Now you truly are living in a fantasyland if you think anything short of military force would've been able to remove Naziism.
no no....hypothetically. i'm just saying that when the external force is removed, society will return to normal.

don't confuse my opinion of the worlds actions during WWII with my opinion of the US's actions today