Thin Red Line

Missileer

I recently bought the latest DVD of "Thin Red Line." I've never seen the latest version. Looks good to me but it's lengthy.

I thought it's a great movie about the America's first offensive of the Wrold War 2. But I hate their ending. heh

Movie

I'll have to give this one a shot.

I'm glad you didn't mention what happened in the end as it would have put a spanner in the works.

Cheers

Steven Preece

I didn't mind this movie. It was a bit more artsy that I had expected, but I think the parallels between living entities and entities that were doomed to die was interesting. The movie's not for everyone, but I think the point wasn't specifically about the war and what these guys were trying to accomplish, but more about the author's p.o.v., perhaps mental struggles. I probably sound foolish saying the above, but that's what I took away from the film.

The book dealt heavily with how the war was effecting the individual characters. Somehing the movie unsuccessfuly tried to do as well.
I guess we all wanted a shoot em up and not a chick flic.
The book had a couple of extra battles in it.

amazing book

War has many perspectives. The book was one of the few Ive read that really messed with my head. I think that the point of the book was simply the fine line between sanity and madness when it comes to a largely non professional soldier thrust into combat and all the types of individuals that comprised a typical rifle company. Now, every group of soldiers is different. So typical is probably a bad word.

Witt is obviously a different character in the book than the movie. I liked the witt of the movie. Alot of people didnt like the movie because it wasnt all american pie in the sky. It was written by a veteran of the campaign and perhaps it was his experience. A person in another company right beside his might have had an all together different experience.

The human factor in war is fascinating. Something beyond the maps and numbers. Each character was a sterotype of different people you might find in a combat situation. I think of the thin red line as another viewpoint rather than any type of defining opine on war. Just like Platoon, that hacked off so many, It had a particular bent rather than expressing a single minded view of war. Compare it to We were soldiers once. Two incredibly different viewpoints. Everyone had their own experience.

War has many perspectives. The book was one of the few Ive read that really messed with my head. I think that the point of the book was simply the fine line between sanity and madness when it comes to a largely non professional soldier thrust into combat and all the types of individuals that comprised a typical rifle company. Now, every group of soldiers is different. So typical is probably a bad word.

Witt is obviously a different character in the book than the movie. I liked the witt of the movie. Alot of people didnt like the movie because it wasnt all american pie in the sky. It was written by a veteran of the campaign and perhaps it was his experience. A person in another company right beside his might have had an all together different experience.

The human factor in war is fascinating. Something beyond the maps and numbers. Each character was a sterotype of different people you might find in a combat situation. I think of the thin red line as another viewpoint rather than any type of defining opine on war. Just like Platoon, that hacked off so many, It had a particular bent rather than expressing a single minded view of war. Compare it to We were soldiers once. Two incredibly different viewpoints. Everyone had their own experience.

Well said!

I think its one of those you gotta see once but after that let it sit for a few years in the DVD case because the ending just kills me and some of the acting was rather poor for the money they spend to make it.

Back