They're sports to folks down here...

deerslayer

Milforum Swamp Dweller
Well, seeing as I'm about to be running myself a little trotline to supplant my dietary needs, anybody here into hunting or fishing? Figured we could swap tips and tactics, not to mention a few yarns.

Mods: There may or may not be a thread on this already, started by me. If that is the case, feel free to exercise whatever you feel is necessary to this thread.

Figuring on catching some fish, feeding myself, and dipping into the communal redfish and speckled trout for a big before-school-starts dinner with some friends. Everyone's contributing their own food to the pot- it's only fair.

Hint- if you're running a small trotline, you can make a flying gaff out of a coathanger, electrical tape, and a ten-foot length of rope.

Deerslayer, Ph.D in juryrigging.

I'm 18. Do I have take a hunting license from Texas? I want to go hunting the deer this fall. It would be my first time to hunt.

umm, it's a long strand of braided nylon that you tie off to two stakes. There are baited hooks set at intervals. You sink these sticks and check it periodically, then remove your fish from it.

Fox- Yeah, I'd say you do. Down in LA, you have to possess the licenses and produce them at age 16. I doubt you can pass for under sixteen, so I'd go on the safe side and buy the licenses. Hell, if you have the cash, go for a lifetime license. May have cost me 500 bones, but I only carry one card for every fish and game I take, it's easily accessible, and I can hunt Wildlife Management Areas without a hitch. I'm clean for every open season and every game fish.

I don't hunt much anymore. When I've hunted deer in the past, I've done it more to prove that they could actually be killed with military surplus weapons and {NEWS FLASH} iron sights! It's always a joy to know that my $200 Swedish Mauser can do just as well as the nits with a grand sunk in their rifles. Maybe I'm just stuck up, though. :wink:

...the venison was always a nice added bonus, too.

I've done a bit of fishing, but I've never gotten into it seriously. A buddy an I occasionally chase a few brim around the local lake. I've caught a couple about the size of my hand, but nothing to write home about.

Instead of shooting animals, I pretty much just shoot paper and golf balls and cans and bottles and clays and...you get the idea. I'd generally rather float myself and a beer around the lake than a fishing line, too.

Back