There are really some isuses int he UK that are screwed up... this is one of them

5.56X45mm

Milforum Mac Daddy
Aaaaaargh just when I was settling into a warm, Sarah Palin-induced haze, I read about this bastardy from Britain:
A wounded soldier home from Afghanistan on sick leave was forced to spend the night in his car after a hotel refused him a room.

Corporal Tomos Stringer was told by staff at Metro Hotel, in Woking, that it was company policy not to accept members of the armed forces as guests. The 24-year-old had travelled to the Surrey town to help with funeral preparations for a friend killed in action.

It was so late that Cpl Stringer, who had broken his wrist jumping off an Army truck as it was attacked, had no choice but to bed down in his tiny, two-door car, arm covered in plaster.
Wait a minute...”company policy not to accept members of the armed forces as guests”?

WTF???

Let’s hope the planned boycott of the place works, and it has to close its doors soon.
Bastards.

Seems like Germany is not the only place full of idiots- we should give them a war and let the soldiers sit back and wait until they beg for help... :mad:
These people live in this country so they must support democracy and have confidence in the people they elected- who see the need for Military (everything else is utopia nowadays)
so wheres the damn point in hating soldiers? I just don't get it- everyone in the EU is free to get the hell out of our countries, we don't have no walls anymore... if you don't like armed forces search for a country that doesn't have them...
good luck finding paradise

Last edited:
Seems like Germany is not the only place full of idiots- we should give them a war and let the soldiers sit back and wait until they beg for help... :mad:

This is my point exactly. Let them have it. A lot of it. A heck of a lot of it. Oh yeah of course, guns will still be illegal. Game on. Break out the popcorn and send out some UAVs to capture the images and have them broadcasted live on Pay Per View.

Read the Book Starship Troopers, I think after the next world war we should set up a system as outlined in that book. If you want to vote you must do a tour of duty in the military. The book should be required reading it is at my house all my kids are required to read it at least once. I have read it a half dozen times.

Absolutely. I've read it on no less than three occasions. Excellent book. Want a say in how things are done? You go earn the damned thing.

Read the Book Starship Troopers, I think after the next world war we should set up a system as outlined in that book. If you want to vote you must do a tour of duty in the military. The book should be required reading it is at my house all my kids are required to read it at least once. I have read it a half dozen times.

Did your kids have a choice? Doesn't seem democratic to me, more autocratic!

The motel did a stupid thing but the reaction on this thread is way over the top!!!!

Did your kids have a choice? Doesn't seem democratic to me, more autocratic!

The phrase freedom through conformity always makes me smile when I read some of these threads.

The motel did a stupid thing but the reaction on this thread is way over the top!!!!

Agreed on both counts and I am not sure why he didn't go to another hotel/motel for the night which would seemingly make more sense than sleeping in a car with a broken wrist.

Read the Book Starship Troopers, I think after the next world war we should set up a system as outlined in that book. If you want to vote you must do a tour of duty in the military.

Yep,... and if you want to drive a motor vehicle you must have done at least several years of Automotive Engineering (and passed). You want milk you've got to have been a dairy farmer. etc,.........

Service personnel are an absolute necessity and are sometimes undervalued, but I feel that some of us do highly over rate our value in the grand scheme of things.

The people who made the real sacrifice don't ever have the chance to vote. It's all relative.

Yep,... and if you want to drive a motor vehicle you must have done at least several years of Automotive Engineering (and passed). You want milk you've got to have been a dairy farmer. etc,.........

Service personnel are an absolute necessity and are sometimes undervalued, but I feel that some of us do highly over rate our value in the grand scheme of things.

The people who made the real sacrifice don't ever have the chance to vote. It's all relative.

Couldn't agree more Spike!

I don't think you need to put in as many years as the darn book suggests but a stint of at least a year should be necessary.
If that's not viable, at least a system where you go through boot camp and are put in a list of reserves and have some weekend obligations for a year or two or something.

Saw the movie (really really bad movie) but I confess never to have not read the book. Personally I thought the title of the movie should have been "WHEN NAZI-SCIENCTOLOGISTS RULE THE EARTH!".

In a world that resembes the 3rd Reich you have required military service for citizenship? Corporal Punishment? A caste system? The belief that Humans are superior to other lifeforms? A promotion of militarism? The signs of facism were everywhere. The flag looked very much like the Nazi Eagle, I could go on...

On of the causes of The American Revolution and the War of 1812 were about the issue of British Impressment, I think the Founding Fathers would have been horrified at your notion of required military service for citizenship. Sounds more like living in North Korea than in America.

Personally I thin Thomas Paine's "Rights of Man" is better reading than anything touched by the cult of Scientology but thats my opinion, and I don't think many Americans would like your ideas much...

Mmarsh, the view is more like this:
You show up to do your part in protecting the territories and the way of life of your society. Then you leave, and do your part by taking part in the economy.
There really isn't anything facist about it really. In many ways it's just like having a draft.

Why the heck have the Democrats here become so pissed off at everything since Palin got to be McCain's running mate? Seriously. Mmarsh, you were far more level headed before she got named. Did something change?

Mmarsh, the view is more like this:
You show up to do your part in protecting the territories and the way of life of your society. Then you leave, and do your part by taking part in the economy.
There really isn't anything facist about it really. In many ways it's just like having a draft.

Why the heck have the Democrats here become so pissed off at everything since Palin got to be McCain's running mate? Seriously. Mmarsh, you were far more level headed before she got named. Did something change?

No problem with that, but it shouldn't be limited joining the military. There are lots of ways to contribute to society, but why do we always think in military terms.

I was talking about society in the MOVIE being fascist which the Top Maul stated he admired and wishes to copy into our society. Thats the part I had trouble swallowing.

I hate extremists, left or right. I love my country, but I hate watching my country self-destruct because of the FAR RIGHT WING, they have brought nothing but disaster as all extremists have done throughout history.

Its very painful to watch my country fall into ruin, which it will if we don't reverse course immediately. Did you see what happened to Freddie Mac and Fanny Mae yesterday? Case in point, There will be more of that to come.

This is what happens what the wing nuts are allowed into power. My fear that we will continue on this disastrous path and it will get worse. The nomination of Palin (whose views are exactly like those of the current administration) suggests that at least half of America still doesn't see how dangerously close we are to going over a cliff. I just don't think America can survive on the course its going on. The future is very bleak to me.

That makes me angry.

No, I don't think it's the society in the movie he wants to have a copy of. More like the book. The one thing I do like from the book is, the military is the military, you don't have the outside who don't have a clue why things are the way they are trying to "fix things" inside that organization.
As for the Credit Crunch... think we're screwed no matter what. Another "Laissiz Faire" economics at work scenario. Yes, businesses will fight each other to death. TO DEATH.

No, I don't think it's the society in the movie he wants to have a copy of. More like the book. The one thing I do like from the book is, the military is the military, you don't have the outside who don't have a clue why things are the way they are trying to "fix things" inside that organization.
As for the Credit Crunch... think we're screwed no matter what. Another "Laissiz Faire" economics at work scenario. Yes, businesses will fight each other to death. TO DEATH.

Lassiez-Faire is how we got into this mess in the beginning. That fact is we need government oversight because Big Business cannot be trusted to regulate itself. Everytime it was tried it resulted the result was a financial catastrophe from the 1920's, 1980s, and today. Laissez-Faire is simply a license for big business to cheat and steal. You need a Federal watchdog.

But actually I was talking about the Economy as a whole not just the credit Crunch. Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac are the Pillars of the Economy. If they collapse so does everything else. So if the Feds have got to bail THEM out it means the economy is even WORSE than we thought. Which goes back to the doom and gloom scenario I described above.

Actually a credit crunch sounds like a nightmare all in itself. What do businesses primarily run on? Credit. You invest (stock your store with goods) with credit and pay it off and make a profit by selling. No credit, no business. I can't imagine a worse scenario. You have to spend money to earn money. When credit is hard to come by, it means it's that much harder to make money.
Actually Mmarsh, I was arguing against Lasseiz Faire capitalism. The Asian Economic Crisis of 1997 was also a result of the pressure (actually from the US I think) for Asian markets to be more open and free. This led to several economies being completely vulnerable to attack. Southeast Asia for the most part still hasn't recovered completely. The countries or governments who fared better quickly re-installed protective measures. At least that's the way I remember it off the top of my head. Hong Kong, which never really removed the protections suffered the least.

Back