There are no Wing Commanders in the Army

Cheeser

This happened to me whilst I was in Belize:

Telephone rings and I answer - A very irate Wing Commander ringing to complain about one of my Sappers. Apparently this sapper had failed to salute the said Wing Commander and when the Wing Commander picked him up on this saying 'Don't you salute Wing Commanders in the Army' the soldier replied 'No Sir, we don't have any!' Profuse apologies from me - put phone down and roll about laughing. Cue 'Jonah' the offending Sapper returning from his mission to get coffee. 'Cup of Coffee 'Chief'? Yes - and Jonah stop teasing the RAF. All I said.....

This is the same guy who when told by the 2IC 'Jone, I can't bear fools' replied 'But your mother could Sir.'

Jonah is still serving and his customer relation skills remain non-existing along with his complete disregard for authority - which means that I can continue to dine out on his quick wit for years to come!

No Wing Commanders

LOL I love it.

When I was tasked to Butterworth in Malaya along with Officers, SNCO's and others, an RAAF Aussie walked past one of our officers without saluting and simply said "G'day mate." The officer concerned was a total pillock and said, "I'm not your mate." The Aussie wandered off muttering "Bloody stuck up POMS."

We (RAF) fell about laughing

Last edited:
A buddy of mine was a radar mech who was having problems with one of the radar aerials. Despite his efforts he couldn't solve the problem. On the way back to the barracks he was walking along thinking about the problem, completely oblivious to who or what was around him. Deep in thought he passed a young pilot officer and his even younger girl friend without saluting. The officer shouted “ AIRMAN, DONT YOU SALUTE OFFICERS?” My buddy snapped out of his thoughts, walked up to the pilot officer and pointing to the very thin officers rank stripe said. “How the hell do you expect me to see a tiny little thing like that.” Then walked away leaving the young pilot officer gaping and spluttering.

The moral of the story is, "Young Officers shouldn't mess with old hands."

Last edited:
Back