There is hope for some RE-4 prior service who want to enlist in the Army!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NAmenta1981

OK, so I'll start by explaining my situation. I was in the Coast Guard Oct 2000 and was back home at the end of March 2001. I failed a urine test for marijuana and received a general discharge under honorable conditions for misconduct with a separation code of JKK and an RE-4. Now, 8 years later, I still live in regret so I went to the recruiting office and started the process of getting in the Army if it was at all possible. Well, my second visit there I brought them my diploma, birth certificate, SS card, reference list and all my Coast Guard discharge paperwork so they could get my waiver started. No lie, while I was there they received a letter stating that since 2009 recruiting goals were already met (no lie, they have exceeded them already!) that effective March 7th they would not be taking any prior service back with anything above an RE-1. The letter was something very close to that anyways. I don't remember word for word. There may be a few loopholes for some RE-2 and RE-3 but they said but I'm out of luck...for now. They told me to get started writing a letter to the USCG requesting for a change which is a slim to none chance of that happening. My other option is to wait until later Sept early Oct and try again because Oct is the start of the new recruiting year.

The Army will take you with a prior service RE-4 discharge as long as its something that the Army would have gave you an RE-3 for. Because the Coast Guard and Navy are a little more strict, they told me my charge would have gotten me an RE-3 in the Army and for that reason he has and can get a waiver. I would just have to write a good letter. Again this is on a case by case basis. If you were court martialed or spent time in the brig you're out of luck. If you were discharged from the Army with an RE-4 you will never get back in the Army or even National Guard. This is just what I'm told. I know this subject is continually beatten to death and people still ask about it so I just wanted to give you guys the info I got and if you are in a similar situation as me there is hope for you. Some recruiters will tell you that any RE-4 automatically disqualifies you no matter what, but luckily I got a recruiter who isn't lazy and was willing to put the worki in for me because he has done it before with success and he said is far from impossible. I hope this helps and gives someone some hope cause I'll be back there the end of Sept! Oh, by the way, they told me if I came a month earlier I would have been good this year! Bad timing on my part!

It's people who think that the Military is gonna be great and then get smacked with the sock full of wood screws called reality. They find out that parts suck or they can't give dope, or they can't control the urge to go home, or they can't get their crap in a tight ball and ruck up, gut check and drive on.

Then they wanna second chance, because now they understand.

It's not that recruiters are lazy it's that RE4's and most RE3's aren't worth the trouble and paperwork. Ya had your chance ya screwed the pooch.

As someone that has been in the military for just a few years.... I am not too hot on getting RE-4s serving again. There are plenty of young, qualified men and women out there just ready to jump at a chance to join the military.

Well, to each his own. I went in for all the wrong reasons and made a lot of bad choices at that time. Not a day has gone by that I haven't lived my life in regret for screwing up a good thing and bringing shame to myself my family and my country.

We all have that to a degree and we just have to live with it.
We made our decisions.
If you really want another chance you can give the French Foreign Legion a shot though if they know you have a discharge that is other than honorable they will not accept you, you can always hide the fact until you get out. From there you'll have some experience and serve out of uniform.
Though if the regular Army was too "stressful" for you, I doubt you'll do any good over there as well.

Last edited:
why are you repeating yourself? You must not be that good of a reader. I said I will be able to get in the Army in Oct.

Good people do make mistakes. I would imagine there would be trust issues if the other ppl knew abt the first discharge.

There are other ways to support and serve your country. If the military is not that path, then find your own way to support & serve.

Last edited:
If there is trust issues because of my past that is my own fault and that means I will have to work even harder to prove myself and work for that trust, which I have no problem with whatsoever. He says he can get me in and I won't give up until it happens. Like I said, if I could take all of this back I would but for the past 8 years I have lived in regret and wished I could do it over and now it seems I could have a chance.

why are you repeating yourself? You must not be that good of a reader. I said I will be able to get in the Army in Oct.

No.. you have nothing guaranteed. You will have the "opportunity" to re-apply. It all depends on several factors. One of them is the number of qualified -- fully qualified -- folks that are waiting at the door before you.

you're right, theres always that factor too. thats why he told me to come at the very beginning of the recruiting year. all i know is this is what i want more than anything so i'm going to do everything I can and give it my best shot.

Well, I'll be the unpopular one here and wish him all the best. I have an RE-1, so don't think that the defense of the young man simply stems from support of "one of my own."

I saw some excellent soldiers make terrible mistakes, and I saw otherwise garbage soldiers transformed into a man welcome to share my foxhole.

People can and do make mistakes. And people can and do change. Not all of them, of course, but reading this young man's attitude convinces me that he fully mans up to what he did, taking responsibility, admitting it. That takes a lot of courage.

My best wishes. If they accept you, get it right this time and avoid those temptations that you know are going to dishonor your service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back