Ther most decorated woman in WW2

--

February 27th, 2017  
BritinAfrica

Topic: Ther most decorated woman in WW2

Nancy Wake, a New Zealander became the most decorated woman in WW2

February 27th, 2017  
MontyB

While I would like to think she was a Kiwi, I suspect the Aussies would be right in claiming her as theirs in this case.

When I look at these stories and recall that generation from my youth and the things they achieved I really wonder how we ended up with the saggy crotch losers of the current generation, I wonder how they would perform under the same conditions.

She was an amazing person.
March 1st, 2017  
BritinAfrica

Sadly many SOE/OSS operatives were captured, tortured and killed, extremely brave people.
--
March 11th, 2017  
dadsgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinAfrica
Nancy Wake, a New Zealander became the most decorated woman in WW2

Tribute to Nancy Wake - YouTube
Thank you for this Brit!
WOW!
What a woman!

Dadsgirl
March 12th, 2017  
BritinAfrica

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsgirl
Thank you for this Brit!
WOW!
What a woman!

Dadsgirl
Many years ago in my local pub I met a Dutch Resistance fighter, he noticed my regimental badge on my sweat shirt so we began chatting.

No boasting of daring do, but exactly how it was, the fear of being caught, the fear of losing his family and friends. He stated he wasn't of dying, he was terrified of a long lingering death at the hands of the Gestapo. When he went to visit the bathroom I turned to his wife and told her, "He's a brave man."

I wonder how many people today would take part in a Resistance Campaign?
March 12th, 2017  
MontyB

Quote:
Many years ago in my local pub I met a Dutch Resistance fighter, he noticed my regimental badge on my sweat shirt so we began chatting.

No boasting of daring do, but exactly how it was, the fear of being caught, the fear of losing his family and friends. He stated he wasn't of dying, he was terrified of a long lingering death at the hands of the Gestapo. When he went to visit the bathroom I turned to his wife and told her, "He's a brave man."

As long as the occupying forces left the "reality" TV shows on air I doubt anyone would lift a finger.
March 18th, 2017  
dadsgirl

Quote:

With proper training Brit, I would.
March 19th, 2017  
BritinAfrica

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsgirl
With proper training Brit, I would.
Sadly not many SOE/OSS/Resistance operatives survived, all too many were captured and tortured dying horrendous deaths.

I'm not sure I could.
March 25th, 2017  
dadsgirl

Quote:
Sadly not many SOE/OSS/Resistance operatives survived, all too many were captured and tortured dying horrendous deaths.

I'm not sure I could.
Hi Brit,
Yes, unfortunately I'm well aware of what the outcome could be.
I still would shake on it.
It's extremely necessary.

Dadsgirl
March 25th, 2017  
I3BrigPvSk

I am not certain, but I think the Germans punished families to captured resistance people too. Using terror to scare people from working with the resistance.

There were many different kinds of people involved in the resistance, some gathered information about the location of German facilities and other valuable info about the Germans to London. While other similar groups were fighting in a more direct fashion against the Germans, the Eastern Europe had a more military styled opposition, but we call them Partisans. They were active in Southern Europe too. (I include the Balkans in the Southern Europe)