Thank you, USMC

Charge 7

Master Gunner
So many times in my life the US Marines have come to my aid in some regard - from the leatherneck who raised me and gave me the ability to succeed in life, to the Marines who pulled my ass out of the fire on a couple occasions I'll not elaborate on here, to the Marine who has guided me on this site, to the Marine who is now my guide and friend here in this new world I've landed myself in.

The latest is especially appreciated. Bobby is a former Marine sniper I met at the VFW here. We hit it off as we have so much in common. He's out and not coming back ever due to a medical discharge so I have no worries about fraternization. He's shown me so much already here and taught me much about the ways of the South. Without him, our move here would not have been so smooth. So for his sake and all the others, my most profound thanks.

I've met guys like Bobby. You just know "now there's somebody I'd like to get drunk and tell war stories with." :)

Yep, there are good people out there and when you meet one you know it right away.
So how's the transition going? Us boys from New England undergo a culture shock for a while don't we? I remember when I first came to the land of okra and y'all. I had to get used to the way they actually come right up and start talking to you just for the heck of it. I've only recently learned that I really don't have to look over my shoulder to see who else is there when it happens :lol:

And the funny thing is that New England and West Virginia or Louisiana people have like attitudes and thought processes but express them so differently. When I was traveling, I got so that I was as comfortable in Chicopee, Mass. as I was in Greenville, Mississippi. I had so many personalities by the time my traveling days were over that it didn't matter which State I was in, I blended after a few hours.

DTop said:
Yep, there are good people out there and when you meet one you know it right away.
So how's the transition going? Us boys from New England undergo a culture shock for a while don't we? I remember when I first came to the land of okra and y'all. I had to get used to the way they actually come right up and start talking to you just for the heck of it. I've only recently learned that I really don't have to look over my shoulder to see who else is there when it happens :lol:

Well, Top, I'm making the transition a little easier than Molly is. Vermont is, of course, very rural and has hung onto oldtime values and customs so I can get along well with the locals rather well. Doesn't really surprise me as most of my buddies when I was last in the regulars (back in the Nixon to Carter era) where Southerners.

Some things are strange though. For instance I think just about everybody here drives like they're behind the wheel of the "General Lee" and are especially provoked to have a car with Yankee plates ahead of them in the road. They pass me only to slow down in front of me - bizarre. Oh well, I'll have SC plates soon and that will go away.

Still getting used to the attention I get when I'm out and about in uniform. Back home I might get a glance or two and an occasional greeting from a vet. Here it's like the whole world is an Army post. When I walk into a store folks almost seem to come to attention and many eyes are on me - nearly all with looks of admiration and respect. It'll take quite awhile to get used to that alright.

One last thing, while it's on my mind - this is a dog lover's paradise. My dog is welcome everywhere and he never ceases to be treated well and fussed over. Many people are surprised at how well trained he is and ask me about his training. Seems there will be a big market for my Schutzhund training school when I finally retire for good here.

Yup, When I first moved south, I remember seing a bumper sticker on a southern Lexus (Ford pickup) that said "We don't care how you do it up North!!". That just about summed it up for me :lol:

Yea, them there yanks can tell a man from south of the mason-dixon line from a mile away. its kinda creepy to tell the truth...Couzins always make fun of me fer mah accent. I dunno how the world they tell tho...

Back