Thank-you, USA.

Del Boy

“ Compromise and peace – worth fighting for”.

My own phrase, I believe, created some 24 hours ago, and I award it the USA to wear as a battle honour, or at least as a banner, whichever suits them best.

As I sit here in my chilly garret, scribbling away with my pencil, it occurs to me how much maligned they are, even here on these boards, and none more so than the last incumbents of Government, struck from behind so diabolically on 9/11.

As always, USA said what they would do, and did what they said; and as always, their sworn enemies do not seem to thrive in the long run; I have been counting them down this morning, and I put them in 3 categories – gone, forgotten, and “ behaving themselves.” Potential contenders are warming up on the touchlines, but USA is content to leave them in the queue; compromise and peace will come to them sooner or later.

It has been an expensive business, in life and limb and dollars, and America has paid the price without squealing. Throughout their watch, the world has benefited from their careful lead, and they continue to take up the cudgels in the last resort, so successfully, in fact, that like the lion in Wizard of Oz, they are expected to do so on one leg, blindfolded, and with one arm tied behind their backs.

Their sacrifice seems to bring to them a vast tsunami of vitriol from unexpected directions, as well as from those who would seek to grasp a rattlesnake sooner than peace.

If their watch is coming to an end, voluntarily it would have to be IMHO, the world will wear a sadder face, believe me. On their watch they have manned the watchtowers and the barricades against all threats, for all of their allies. Which is how it should be.

I’m only just warming up here, so it’s a good time to stop, ahead of great chaos. Where’s my cocoa?

Compromise and peace – worth fighting for.

Thank you USA. and May God Bless America.

Last edited:
No , thank you Tomtom.

We all know it can be a dirty job; look at the current situation; it can be argued that UN is corrupt and impotent , with the possible exception of the Security Council, it seems to me.

Someone has to lead; if not America, who? God Help whoever, and us.

Where can I see the idealism , the painful willingness to try, which has driven USA to this day?

When you pick someone up off the floor, set him up on his feet, pay the nurturing bills - will he ever forgive you?

Am I optimistic - sure! While USA stands until the stand-down is sounded.

Just Del Boy ticking over. No thanks required Tomtom, thank you and yours.

Last edited:
Back