Thai Military staged coup.

Kiwi

Forum Lubrication Engineer
Thai military vows new PM within two weeks
By Norman Hermant in Bangkok and wires
September 20, 2006 - 7:22PM
Source: ABC

r107590_332999.jpg
Thai coup: military says it has no intention of staying in power.
Photo: AFP
The Thai military, which staged an overnight coup, says it plans to choose a new prime minister within two weeks and step down from power.
Coup leader General Sonthi Boonyaratglin made the promise as the nation's ousted leader Thaksin Shinawatra prepared to leave New York and catch a flight to London.
In the Thai capital, newspapers are filled with speculation about who will be the nation's next prime minister.
The generals behind the coup that ousted Mr Thaksin are said to have narrowed their search and the governor of the Bank of Thailand has been mentioned as a possible candidate.
The coup leaders have also tried to reassure the Thai public in an address today, as they moved to dispel fears they may try to govern over the long-term.
"We would like to reaffirm that we do not intend to rule the country and will return power to the people as soon as possible," General Sonthi said.
The coup leaders have also appealed to poor and rural communities, the constituency where Mr Thaksin's support is the highest.
The borders with Laos and Burma have been sealed since the coup.
Leader of the Opposition Democrat Party in Thailand Abhisit Vejjajiva expressed his regrets at the coup.
"We're very sorry the developments, in terms of the Thai political situation, have come to this," he said.
"I think the Thai people have always wanted to see changes happen constitutionally."
Australia condemns coup
In Australia, the Prime Minister and Opposition Leader have condemned the coup, calling for a return to democracy as quickly as possible.
John Howard says he is very disappointed by the coup.
He says Australia shares a close relationship with Thailand and the events of recent days are a throwback to a past he had hoped Asia had emerged from.
"I would want democracy to be restored in Thailand," he said.
"We condemn military coups."
Opposition Leader Kim Beazley agreed.
"As soon as Thailand can return to a democratic process, the better," he said.
The Greens have called on the Government to suspend military ties with Thailand.
Travel warnings have been upgraded and Australians are urged to reconsider their need to go there.
Those already in Thailand have been told to exercise extreme caution.
Foreign reaction
Foreign governments have expressed dismay at the military coup and some have warned their citizens against travelling to one of Asia's premier holiday destinations.
"I am really shocked. I didn't expect a coup would have taken place in Thailand," Prime Minister of Malaysia Abdullah Ahmad Badawi said.
Japan, the biggest foreign investor in Thailand, says the bloodless coup was "regrettable".
"Our country will closely watch the progress of the situation with grave interest," Japanese Foreign Minister Taro Aso said in a statement.
"Our country strongly hopes that the situation will become normal and a democratic political structure will be restored swiftly."
The US and British embassies in Bangkok urged their citizens to avoid large gatherings and exercise caution when moving about the sprawling capital of 10 million people.
"At this point we are not advising Americans to leave Thailand," the US embassy said in a statement a day after the White House called for a peaceful and democratic resolution to the situation in Bangkok.
New Zealand took a tougher stand against the coup leaders, saying there was a process in place to resolve a political deadlock since disputed April elections Mr Thaksin called to defuse a street campaign against him.
"New Zealand condemns any process which seeks to overturn a government by unconstitutional and undemocratic means," Prime Minister Helen Clark said in a statement.
-ABC/Reuters

yeah, i was watching CNN yesterday as they covered the stuff going on at the UN when they announced the coup was taking place. at first i didn't really believe it, but when the video came in, i was just shocked. i didn't think these things happened anymore.

A little revolution is good now and then. I think the USA needs one too. Maybe fix the damn liberal PC crap and once again fight wars the way they're supposed to be fought.

Hopefully Thailand will not fall under a military dicatorship. I hope that those in charge of the military do what they say they will do. Have elections and restore a legal republic for it's people.

Also I like their drug policy. Get caught with drugs you get hanged. :)

You all realize that Maylasias government was friendly to the US, and military governments havent exactly been the best in the past.

IDK, but the general, if he actually steps down in a week as promised, is probably going to make things better.

Back