Texas Man Stands up for What is Right - And Shoots to Kill

pixiedustboo

Redfidelboo
Nov. 16, 2007, 9:48PM

By ROBERT CROWE and RICHARD STEWART
Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

Minutes before he shot and killed two burglary suspects, a Pasadena man ignored repeated orders from a police dispatcher not to go outside with a shotgun.

Police today identified the dead men as 38-year-old Miguel Antonio DeJesus and Diego Ortiz, 30, both of Houston.

On a 911 tape released Thursday, a dispatcher is heard asking Joe Horn to stay inside his home until police arrived. But Horn, who had called police about 2 p.m. Wednesday to report that he witnessed two men break into a neighbor's home, told the dispatcher he planned to "kill" the suspects.
"I'm not going to let them get away with it," said Horn, who reported being inside his home in the 7400 block of Timberline looking out a window. "I'm gonna shoot. I'm gonna shoot."

For approximately six minutes, the Pasadena police operator told Horn to remain in his home and repeatedly discouraged the 61-year-old man from taking his gun outside.

"Stay inside the house and don't go out there. OK?" the operator told Horn in calm tones. " ... I know what you're feeling, but it's not worth shooting someone over this. OK?"

Charles Lambright, Horn's attorney, said Thursday that the audio recording suggests Horn was afraid for his own safety.

"Just because he went outside doesn't mean he went outside with the idea of shooting them," Lambright said. "All I can see is a concerned homeowner who was scared for his own safety and, if he was some kind of nutcase, I don't think he would have called 911. His intention was to get police out there."

Pasadena police said it would be up to a Harris County grand jury to decide if Horn committed a crime. Charges had not been filed Thursday and Horn was not taken into custody. "Usually, things like this take a little while to be presented to us," said Assistant District Attorney Lynne Parsons. "We would want the officers to contact witnesses and collect evidence."
The owners of the home that was burglarized could not be reached for comment. On the audio recording, Horn tells the operator that he did not know them very well. But, he states that he was upset that the men appeared to be burglarizing a home in broad daylight.

'Not worth killing someone'

Texas law allows people to use deadly force to protect their own property to stop arson, burglary, robbery, theft or criminal mischief at night. Horn is heard on the recording telling the operator that he has a right to protect himself and under a new law that went into effect in September.
The law, passed earlier this year, gives Texans stronger rights to defend themselves with deadly force, but Sen. Jeff Wentworth, a San Antonio Republican, has said he does not think it would apply in this case.
"Property's not worth killing someone over. OK? Don't go out the house. Don't be shooting nobody," the operator told Horn shortly before he left his home and fired at least two shotgun blasts at the men.
Investigators were taking measurements outside Horn's home in an upper-middle class Village Grove East subdivision near Fairmont and Center.

Bag of cash recovered

Pasadena Police Capt. A.H. "Bud" Corbett said Horn was cooperative with officers at the scene and later made a statement at the police station. The white bag one of the dead men had been carrying contained a large amount of cash, apparently taken from the house, Corbett said.
Two windows in the back of the house had been broken, he said. One was a regular window, but the other was glass blocks. It was the breaking glass that alerted Horn, Corbett said.

Police have not found the families of the dead men. One had identification indicating he was from Puerto Rico, the other had documentation indicating he may have been from Puerto Rico, Colombia or the Dominican Republic, Corbett said.

Both men were shot once at a range of less than 15 feet with a 12-gauge shotgun.
Article Link (With 911 Call Link)
Second Article

__________________​

That was so frustrating to hear it brought tears to my eyes. Why are they treating this man like HE was the criminal (second call)? The police would have been too late to stop the buglers. Yes, maybe the buglers didn't hurt anyone and "possessions are not worth killing over," but what about next time? What happens if next time they break into a house with a family home? Or a child home? I'm glad this man had the balls and the HONOR as a man protecting EVERYONE'S family to shoot.

Screw anyone who thinks otherwise.

wow....yeah...this man was obviously doing society a favor...here in louisiana if you catch someone breaking into your house....and you shoot them because "you are scared for your life" you have to make sure they dont get outside the house afterward...they can sue you if they do...which is just messed up in my opinion.

Alaska is a concealed carry state. As long as you are not a felon anyone can carry a concealed gun and no permit is required. Although wish our laws against criminals were more strict. We fly them to Arizona.

Hmmm Judge ,Jury and Executioner case closed....
could be a small problem though from what the article says it gives the " homeowners greater protection from prosecution should they choose to confront someone breaking into their home " unfortunately it wasn't his home that was being burglarized..:-(

could be a small problem though from what the article says it gives the " homeowners greater protection from prosecution should they choose to confront someone breaking into their home " unfortunately it wasn't his home that was being burglarized..:-(

Therein lies the problem, as he was not protecting anything he owned, nor was his safety in danger.
He said he was going to leave the safety of his own home to kill people and (over the objections of a Government Employee) he did kill 2 people, so, at first glance it seems to be premeditated murder from a legal standpoint.

Survival of the fittest....

Anyone watch Idiocracy...lol...

2 less potentially negative societal breeders around....

Texas also allows the use of deadly force involving the property of a third party. So according to the way Texas' laws are written. You can use deadly force to protect the property of another, in this case the nieghbor who's house was being burglerized.

So in theory and in light of the way that particular statute is written and worded this individual is within the law. But thats up to the district attorney.

Therein lies the problem, as he was not protecting anything he owned, nor was his safety in danger.
He said he was going to leave the safety of his own home to kill people and (over the objections of a Government Employee) he did kill 2 people, so, at first glance it seems to be premeditated murder from a legal standpoint.

No, but I'd be very glad he cared enough to protect my property if I was that neighbor.

If the government had it's way we'd be letting out child molesters out after two years and keeping someone who has weed in the prison system for 10 years.

Oh, wait, they are already doing that.

Back