Tether-ball

bulldogg

Milforum's Bouncer
When my grandpa was serving in the Pacific during world war two his unit was under Macarthur when he returned to the Phillipines. While there at night after they had set up camp they would string booby-traps each night in case some Japanese soldiers attempted to enter camp as they were nought to do. One of these improvised booby-traps consisted of taking a C-rations can and attaching it to a palm tree, attaching a string to another tree. Then taking a pineapple grenade they would remove the pin without letting the spoon fly and place it in the can. Then the string was attached to the grenade. The idea is simple but effective. Well each morning it was someone's duty to go around and put the pins back in the grenades rendering travel safe. One fine morning it was my grandpa's turn and he had finished three such "re-pinnings" but for some reason on the fourth he had a bit of a brain fart and the grenade came out of the can and the spoon flew. Well with the grenade in one hand and the pin in the other he threw the grenade as hard as he could. Well the damn thing was still attached to the string and it flew around the other tree in a wide arc and came back and struck him square in the chest. My grandpa did the only thing he could and dove away from the grenade. It exploded. His buddies came running and there was my grandpa laying on the ground deaf as could be, sure he was dead and his bare ass sticking up mooning them all. Thankfully he was just inside the arc of the explosion of the grenade and only lost the seat of his pants and was accused of his buddies of trying to smuggle metal out of the Phillipines in his butt cheek.

Its funny in a sense because I was there years later to hear it from him. And the fact he could laugh at the stupid stuff he did, something I am thankful to have learned from him. :lol:

Back