Testers See Windows XP Passing Vista

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
Testers See Windows XP Passing Vista
SEATTLE (AP) - Microsoft Corp.'s Windows XP operating system is about to get faster and Windows Vista isn't, according to a report that caused a stir online this week as industry watchers speculated that a zippier XP could keep customers from upgrading to Vista. Microsoft, however, said it's too...

im still learning with vista...but if they are making an xp that is faster than vista...then im gonna switch to xp...my comp came with vista

I like Vista. works fine for what I do (a lot of gaming)

What does Vista do for gaming that XP does not? I am not being facetious.

Why is it that Microsoft seem to think that changing the way that their operating system works is a step forward? To me it would be like a vehicle manufacturer continually changing the driving position, standing up, sitting, kneeling, laying down or standing on your head, moving the seat from side to side, front to back and sometimes on the roof. I can see no benefit from changing how things are done just to find your way about your system.

Certainly, make additions, correct stuffups in the previous OS, but leave the controls and "look' the same so that anyone can go from one version to the next without having to learn a whole new operating system. It's really confusing when working on several different versions in a short period of time.

I admit the change is almost purely cosmetic, but the little things really make it easier to use from an ergonomic standpoint.

What does Vista do for gaming that XP does not? I am not being facetious.

Why is it that Microsoft seem to think that changing the way that their operating system works is a step forward? To me it would be like a vehicle manufacturer continually changing the driving position, standing up, sitting, kneeling, laying down or standing on your head, moving the seat from side to side, front to back and sometimes on the roof. I can see no benefit from changing how things are done just to find your way about your system.

Certainly, make additions, correct stuffups in the previous OS, but leave the controls and "look' the same so that anyone can go from one version to the next without having to learn a whole new operating system. It's really confusing when working on several different versions in a short period of time.

Amen to that. I agree with Spike 1000%!

I'm really glad I never saw the need to upgrade to Vista. I've heard horror stories about gamers who upgraded in a hurry only to find that some of their favorite older games were incompatible, or that Vista hampered the performance of newer games due to the fact it's even more of a memory hog than XP.

Hi Infern0, I haven't seen you about for some time, great to hear from you again.

My main beef with Vista is that Microsoft have once again changed the way that you do things within windows, nothing works as it did in XP or 2000 or even 98. For example, to alter things normally found under Admin privileges etc you cannot logon as the Admin as shown in the Logon screen but must jump through all sorts of hoops created by MS for no real benefit. This is not even documented within Vista's Help pages.

I just hate the fact that MS seem to be trying very hard to prevent people from setting up their 'puters as they would wish. I guess I just hate an OS that tries to tell me it knows what's best for me. i hate it even worse when it is WRONG 99.99% of the time.

Basically Vista just has all the same features as every other recent version of Windows, why do we have to re learn how a completely new method to set them up to our liking.

Besides that the graphics look all washed out like they were designed by someone from Apple/mac. Yeeeuuuch!!

Other than that. I just love it so far :cen:.

oh yeah im still floating around, just had to go "commune with nature" (*click BOOM*) for a wee while.

im an XP holdout myself, with a wish to start experimenting with more open source OS's such as ubuntu....just need to take the risk i guess lol

The Skipper of the last tug I worked on is a linux freak and was always telling me to give it a go, but I decided against it after he came in late one morning after staying up all night trying to sort some problem. Yep,... I'm a Chicken too, or at least I consider that I have better things to do with my spare time.

The Skipper of the last tug I worked on is a linux freak and was always telling me to give it a go, but I decided against it after he came in late one morning after staying up all night trying to sort some problem. Yep,... I'm a Chicken too, or at least I consider that I have better things to do with my spare time.

Haha I am the same as much as I would love to give Microsoft a swift kick in the nuts and use another product I just can't be bothered with the hassles of figuring out another product.

Besides the fact that 99.9% of software runs comfortably in the Windows environment keeps me bound to Microsoft.

Windows may not be exactly "all things to all men", but I feel that it is the most "practical" system available at the moment taking into account the wide range of software available and the fact that the files generated by it's software are readily interchangeable with 90% of the computers on the face of the planet, without having to resort to emulators/converters etc.

I certainly think that Microsoft need a little "touch up" every now and then, just to help highlight the fact that there is plenty of room for improvement and the fact that the computer using public are sick of being used as Beta Testers for their buggy new versions.

I have always considered that Microsoft are their own worst enemies in that every time they finally get a version straightened out and the users are happy with it, they immediately release a buggy "new" version. I feel that their efforts would be perhaps better served by just taking the last (and hopefully by now relatively bug free version) and just rewriting the code as it should have been in the first place, without the many thousands of patches, "service packs" and new "toys" that do little or nothing towards making the OS work better.

It would perhaps put a lot of programmers out of work, but I'm sure that the users would appreciate it.

I love XP and feel that in years to come it will be looked back at as a "Classic" version much the same as Windows for Workgroups 3.11.

You what intrigues me with software design, 15 years ago I was running Windows 3.1 (or something like that) it came on 6 1.44mb floppy disks and it did about 90% of what Windows XP does only Windows XP requires a ton of hard drive space, 2gb of ram and graphics card that would have put most computers to shame 15 years ago and all this to give me a bunch of functions I don't really need or use anyway.

Incidentally I was looking at a "Valve" survey and it appears that 85% of the people playing their games are still using XP with Vista taking about 13%, this seems rather low given that Vista has been out for about a year so maybe its just not to popular.

Last edited:
Yeah, my first Windows equipped computer, 1990ish, had 105Mb HDD and 2Meg of RAM later increased to 6Mb at a cost of $288 (a real monster) Windows 3.1 and DOS 5.1 took 18 Mb of disk space. Why in God's name would anyone want more tham 105 Mb of HD?:lol:

I kept the original disks, but now don't have a 5 1/4" drive to use them. In those days you also got two big thick books, each the size of two housebricks side by side, DOS & Windows that explained how everything worked. I can still remember the first time I made an icon in Paint and linked it to a game (F-15) and when you clicked your mouse on it,... the game loaded!!! That had me in absolute awe, How did that little cursor know what was under it on the screen? Absolutely breathtaking stuff. It gave me more of a thrill than any modern program or game since.

I guess I'm getting jaded.

Last edited:
Haha I remember Silent Service came out on 2x360k floppy's, Silent Service 2 on 6x1.44mb floppy's and Silent Service 3 on 3xCDRoms and at no stage did the game ever really improve on the first one.

Whats worse is that these days I find myself using an Apple2E Emulator and running games that take 150kb for fun as the current batch of games seem to be more eye candy and less content.

I guess this is what age does to people.

Silent service! One of my favourites, sometimes I'd play at 1X speed and have time to go outside and do jobs whilst getting int position up for my next attack.

Haha! Gunther Prien, you are only an amateur.

I reckon mine must have been V1.0 as it was only small, but never the less quite good if you didn't mind EGA graphics. Kids today just don't know what they're missing.

Last edited:
Back