Testers See Windows XP Passing Vista

I liked SS2 the best as they improved the graphics enough to make it look good without boosting the game size to ridiculous levels, version 3 was just silly as the game place was identical but they added 100000000 functions that were never used but still had to be installed.

I personally think that the best Sub simulator out there was Command Aces of the Deep, it would have been Silent Hunter but it had a bug that allowed you to sail into some enemy ports and sink the same ships over and over to accumulate tonnage and they never fixed it in any of the 3 other versions.

A moment of pure insanity.

I just went out to the shed and looked through a box of old stuff to see if I still had my Silent Service Disk, Yep,....What's more it was V2, on one of those new fangled Double Density Disks that hold 1.44Mb, but of course, it won't load.

See,... I told you that Windows had ruined "fun" computing.

ss2.jpg

I guess being an old fart does have some advantages, you have lots of old things hidden away to mess with :)

Last edited:
Aaaahhh Yes! but the memories. All of those great little (and I mean LITTLE) programs and utilities. Quick Menu for DOS, Lotus 1-2-3, XTree Gold, Lotus Organizer that fits on one floppy disk. Hell,.... Windows 3.11 only took 8 disks.

You could have two Operating Systems side by side, MS Word, a spreadsheet, database and a Zillion games and have room left from 50Mb.

You "youngsters" don't even know that you are alive :)

Last edited:
A moment of pure insanity.

I just went out to the shed and looked through a box of old stuff to see if I still had my Silent Service Disk, Yep,....What's more it was V2, on one of those new fangled Double Density Disks that hold 1.44Mb, but of course, it won't load.

See,... I told you that Windows had ruined "fun" computing.

ss2.jpg

I guess being an old fart does have some advantages, you have lots of old things hidden away to mess with :)

If you can install it try and run it in Windows 95 emulation mode, I have had great success with older games doing that.

If you can install it try and run it in Windows 95 emulation mode, I have had great success with older games doing that.

hmm... I'd like to try that. I've got a whole bunch of old games (Sam & Max Hit The Road, Wolfenstien 3D, SimCity) and I'd love to play them again, but I know almost for sure that Vista won't put up with that.

hmm... I'd like to try that. I've got a whole bunch of old games (Sam & Max Hit The Road, Wolfenstien 3D, SimCity) and I'd love to play them again, but I know almost for sure that Vista won't put up with that.

I am not sure whether Vista has the option to do that but I know that XP allows you to set the executable to run in Win95/98 emulation mode.

It doesn't work in Windows 95 emulation mode either, I thought that I'd posted that, but obviously I didn't click "Post Quick Reply".

CRAFT has got me again.

It doesn't work in Windows 95 emulation mode either, I thought that I'd posted that, but obviously I didn't click "Post Quick Reply".

CRAFT has got me again.

Hehe ok next suggestion, download a DOS emulator they took me a little while to figure out but they do work

Back