extremist elements could be planning to attack four and five star hotels in
China sometime over the course of the next week. Chinese authorities have
assured the Embassy that they are taking appropriate security measures and
investigating the possible threat thoroughly. American citizens visiting
Chinese four and five star hotels should review their plans carefully,
remain vigilant with regard to their personal security, and exercise
caution. Reports should be made to local police if one notices unusual
activities in or around these areas.

This was in my inbox. Seems China has popped on the Islamic radar despite their close ties with Iran.

From what I know, China has been having Islamic terrorism-related problems in the Western Province of Xingjang Uighur (spl?) for a long time, and that's where they test their nukes, btw.

Aye... but the attacks have been limited to only that region. It has only occured in the area the Uighur (pronounced "wee-ger") people call home in Xinjiang. Its also the area rich with oil. Last month some people were caught smuggling in firearms from Kazakstan. They are being tried as spies. No need to smuggle explosives as very powerful fireworks are readily available. All the materials to become the Chinese Unabomber can all be had within 50 metres of my flat.

I am floored, it wasn't blocked! HA! Give 'em 24 hours and we'll see if they wake up. The internet is just one massive playground to try and control it all.

Let me know if I put you on jeopardy man. Wouldn't want to. It's just that I forget about "all that", at times. Sorry.

The last warning was retracted but this one just showed up and is a bit more troubling than the last.

From : Shenyang, American Citizen Services <ShenyangACS@state.gov>
Sent : Sunday, November 13, 2005 4:40 AM
To : Shenyang Am Staff <000500003337@NoInternetMail.state.gov>
Subject : Warden message - November 13, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Warden Message

November 13, 2005

The United States Government has received credible information that a
terrorist threat may exist against official U.S. Government facilities in
Guangzhou. This threat also may exist for places where Americans are known to congregate or visit, including clubs, restaurants, places of worship, schools or outdoor recreation events.

American citizens in south China are advised to be aware of their
surroundings and remain alert to possible threats. Americans living or
traveling in China are encouraged to register with the U.S. Consulate
General in Guangzhou or their nearest Embassy or Consulate through the State Department's travel registration website,
<https://travelregistration.state.gov/>. By registering, American citizens
make it easier for the Consulate to contact them in case of emergency.

On the way to work this morning I noticed an extra barricade (nothing of any import) and a doubled police presence around the front of the building housing the US consulate visa section here. It looks nice but wouldn't stop a bloody moped from crashing the front doors. And all the other foreigners are giving me hell now as their consulates are warning them too about this "American threat". Its the hate bandwagon, jump on soon before its full! :roll:

Back