Ten year old shoots burglars, saves himself and sister

5.56X45mm

Milforum Mac Daddy
Child shoots intruder during home break-in

Posted: July 16, 2009 08:15 PM

Updated: July 17, 2009 06:20 AM

Child shoots intruder during home break-in

By David Spunt - email

PORT ALLEN, LA (WAFB) - A mother is counting her blessings after her ten-year-old son defended himself and his younger sister against three people who broke into their apartment.

Late Tuesday, West Baton Rouge Parish sheriff's deputies received a call to a Port Allen apartment complex after several shots rang out from inside one of the apartments. "You are out here trying to work and for someone to come and do that and invade your home is very hard," the children's mother said. She asked to not be identified.

Deputies say Dean Favron and Roderick Porter knocked several times on the apartment door. The two young children, a ten-year-old boy and eight-year-old girl, stood on the other side, terrified. "He told his sister to be quiet and seconds later, they started kicking on the door and finally kicked the door in," said Sheriff Mike Cazes. The two children ran to their mother's bedroom closet.

In a panic, the ten-year-old grabbed his mother's gun for protection. "He did what I told him to do. I never told him to get the gun, but thank God he did," she said. Once the two suspects opened the door, threatening the kids, deputies say the boy fired a bullet into the lip of Roderick Porter. The two men were taken to the hospital, where they were later arrested. "It's just hard. I don't understand why they would do that. I know they have little brothers and sisters and they wouldn't want anyone to break into their house," said the mother.

Each man is held on $150,000 bond. The third suspect, a juvenile, was taken to a local detention center. One of the suspects, Dean Favron, just finished serving almost seven years in prison for aggravated assault on a Baton Rouge police officer and two carjacking charges. He was released on June 6th.

Both men will appear before a judge next month.

©2009 WAFB. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

http://www.wafb.com/global/story.asp?s=10741492

1233928590_citizen-kane-clapping.gif

Bravo for the 10 year old to defend himself... But I do have some issues

1. They should have been taught to call 911 after yelling through the door that police have been called. But he is a kid so I'm giving benefit of the doubt because as kids they don't understand proper action and thinking ahead to a degree. Parents' Fault for not teaching kids that they should contact 911.

2. Why is a 10 & 8 year old home alone?

In the end.... Good Shoot and I'm glad that the kids are safe. The parent shoudn't of left the kids home alone.

Even though I agree with 5.56's issues with two children being left alone, I do however, congratulate the boy for protecting his sister and himself.

Well done!

Another thing I find a little unnerving about the whole thing... Don't get me wrong, I'm glad the kid did what he did, but I don't like the fact that he was able to just go in the room and get the gun... I don't know if this is just the report leaving out the details (kid opening the safe or something of that nature) but the way this article makes it sound... He opened the top dresser drawer and got the gun.

EDIT: I'm not saying that I don't trust the kid with the gun either... But if the 10 year old can get it, the 8 year old can... It shouldn't be that easy.

Another thing I find a little unnerving about the whole thing... Don't get me wrong, I'm glad the kid did what he did, but I don't like the fact that he was able to just go in the room and get the gun... I don't know if this is just the report leaving out the details (kid opening the safe or something of that nature) but the way this article makes it sound... He opened the top dresser drawer and got the gun.

EDIT: I'm not saying that I don't trust the kid with the gun either... But if the 10 year old can get it, the 8 year old can... It shouldn't be that easy.

No you have a valid point. Most cases 8/10 at least, that could have led to disaster. In this case, it possibly saved their life.
Life's just like that.
Sometimes having the seatbelt on is what kills you.

This is where training comes in.

Children are naturally curious, with this in mind I allowed my son to examine my (unloaded) firearms when he was a young'un in UK, simply to get the curiosity regarding firearms out of his system. When he was around 8 years old he asked that I take him to the range, as he showed a lot of interest, I began training him. When we moved to South Africa I requested the local gun club to allow him to shoot my 357 Smith model 19, he was allowed to do so provided I supervised him. His safety and handling was beyond reproach, from that day on they allowed him to shoot without supervision. My son is nothing exceptional, all I did was train the boy, perhaps the boy in the story was also trained.

Perhaps... That's why I'm not 100% set against it, because the boy could full well know what he was doing... But odds are, he grabbed the gun only because he knew it was capable of getting rid of the danger. Not because he knew what he was doing with it.

If the kid was properly trained in the use of firearms, then great. If not... It should NEVER be that easy.

ditto in regards to the ease of access of the mother's weapon, but kudos to the kid for actually hitting one of the intruders. i can't imagine what must have been going through that kid's head at the time, but he definitely did the right thing.

Back