Temporarily Spared Call-Up

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
Buffalo News
May 1, 2008
Pg. B1
Disabled veteran at UB gets semester reprieve
By Lou Michel, News Staff Reporter
James Raymond, the disabled Army veteran fighting to remain a student at the University at Buffalo, won a temporary reprieve Wednesday of an order that could send him to Iraq.
Pressured by the local congressional delegation, Army officials have decided to let the 26-year-old veteran complete the remainder of the spring semester rather than report to Fort Benning, Ga., on May 18.
This action provides one to three months for the Army to review his appeal seeking a medical waiver to prevent future activations with the Individual Readiness Reserve based on injuries he suffered while fighting in Afghanistan.
He is almost completely deaf in his left ear and required surgery for a severe knee injury. The VA has granted him a 10 percent disability pension of $120 a month.
But the Army's latest action does not put Raymond entirely at ease.
"I'm a little bit disappointed that it's temporary and not a permanent reprieve. I'm excited that I don't have to go on May 18, but I'm really skeptical about having to leave in one to three months," Raymond said, speculating that the Army could turn down his appeal for a waiver.
The Army, he explained, will use the coming months to examine his medical records and rule on whether he is fit to be activated.
"The stress in my life now is that it's something I'm not going to be able to stop thinking about for the summer," he said.
Some of his time, Raymond added, will be used in an effort to change the law.
"I am actively discussing and working with [Rep.] Brian Higgins on possible future legislation to deal with the issue of Individual Readiness Reserve and the process of getting an exemption from it to avoid the whole situation," he said.
Those who leave the armed forces have a continuing obligation to remain part of the Individual Readiness Reserve for eight years. Raymond, who was honorably discharged four years ago, says changes are needed so that disabled veterans do not have to go through what he is experiencing.
In addition to Higgins, D-Buffalo, Reps. Thomas M. Reynolds, R-Clarence, and Louise M. Slaughter, D-Fairport, are working with Raymond.
"I am pleased to see that common sense has prevailed," Reynolds said, adding that he hopes the Army will follow through on its review of Raymond's appeal.
Slaughter said, "Even upon their return home, our brave service members are forced to put their lives on hold as they face repeated redeployments to sustain our overstretched military."
Raymond's situation continues to receive national media attention. He says he expects to appear on "The Early Show" on CBS and "The CBS Evening News" in the next several days.

Back