tell me about West Point

JohnDillinger

if anyone in here graduated from USMA I'd like to know what physical training is like and how I could get ready for it. I was also wondering if you could graduate from a junior military college and then go to West Point. I don't know anything about it. I also want to know where I could get some field manuals.

Have you already been accepted or what?

The summer before there is a basic training thing that will put you more into "military shape" but before hand just lift weights and run. One of the pre-requisites to get in is being in great shape.

I haven't been accepted. I just made it past 9th grade. I haven't even sent them a letter yet. I definitely need to get into shape. I can only do 20 push-ups and 60 sit-ups. I can run about 1 mile. I've walked about 60 miles in one day. I can only bench press 100 lbs. 10 times. As you can see I'm a pussy.

JohnDillinger said:
I'm not a kitty. Don't pay attention to that. They censored what I was really saying

Lol. Understand that I am not in the military, but I did look into West Point quite extensively. For a freshman, thats not bad at all. My freshman year was the first time i touched a weightset so your ahead of me. A lot of the physical stuff will come when you hit 17/18. At least it did for me. I went from a 24+ minute three mile to a 17. I ran the 400m in 1:01 my Jr year, and 0:54 my senior year.
West Pont wants you to have an excellent record as a student as well as physical fitness, so my un-military advice would be study hard and gradually add the physical stuff in the latter two years.

I just finished a book on West Point the chronicals several students stay for the entire 4 years. Its called Absolutly American: 4 years at West Point.

West Point is the US Army Acedemy. Its a 4 year FREE University program with a heavy emphesis for those seeking a military career. Its graduates include bothe the Best and Worst American Generals.

1. First you need to be accepted. You will need at least a 4.0 gradepoint average and a 1200 SAT. Thats the average. Lower then that you most likely wont get in. You also have to have a proven leadership ability such as Team Capitan, Class President or something of that sort. You also need
a recommendation from senetor, congressman, something like that. You also need to be in athletic shape, there is strict fitness test. Only 200 applicants of about 3000 get accepted each year.

2. If your are lucky enough to get picked. Its no easier. You have to remaintain at least a C+ average, fail 2 courses your're expelled, fail the twice yearly physical tests your're expelled, break the honor system with more than a small infraction you are expelled. If you are expelled after your Sophomore year you might be forced to 'recup'. Thats means either you repay the army for your previous 2 years in either cash $25K a year or time in the army as a grunt. Unlike most other universities they actually WANT to expel you. The attrition rate is 40%.

3. Life is tough espically for first years. The best way to explain it is Marine boot camp with books. If you manage to make it through you will be considered elite.

Thats just a taste, read the book it gives all the details

It is definetly not too late to get your grades up. I finished my senior year with a 5.382 out of 5.0. There are weighted classes you can take which will raise your GPA. Many times, teachers will see that you are trying hard and will give you the 'benefit of the doubt' as we called it. Not necessarily going easier on you or manipulating your grade, just on individual test questions, etc, perhaps not be as harsh as they may be on students who are viewed as slackers.

If you are serious about getting into West Point, which you have to be in order to get in, then now is the perfect time to start working.

Spartacus said:
It is definetly not too late to get your grades up. I finished my senior year with a 5.382 out of 5.0. There are weighted classes you can take which will raise your GPA. Many times, teachers will see that you are trying hard and will give you the 'benefit of the doubt' as we called it. Not necessarily going easier on you or manipulating your grade, just on individual test questions, etc, perhaps not be as harsh as they may be on students who are viewed as slackers.

If you are serious about getting into West Point, which you have to be in order to get in, then now is the perfect time to start working.

how the hell did you finish with a 5.0+?

I thought A+'s were 4.5 and with weighted GPA..I wouldn't expect someone to get more then a 4.7?

Our school used a 5.0 system for GPA. I dont know the actual values that they used. However, I did recheck my transcript and i misquoted to begin with. I actually got a 5.182. But even that is with like 4 B's. My point is, especially freshman/sophomore year, you can change your GPA significantly.

Back